[news.newusers.questions] Voting for new newsgroups

weave@sun.acs.udel.edu (Ken Weaverling) (01/04/90)

This should be an easy question!

When there is a call for votes, who may vote? Is this just limited
to administrators of systems, or may common folk vote too?

--

Ken Weaverling - Systems Administrator |  Internet: 00499@vax1.acs.udel.edu
Delaware Technical & Community College |  Voice:    +1 302 573 5460

unccab@calico.med.unc.edu (Charles Balan) (01/04/90)

In article <6355@sun.acs.udel.edu> weave@sun.acs.udel.edu (Ken Weaverling) writes:
>This should be an easy question!

 When even _I_ can answer the question, you know it is a simple one! :-)

>When there is a call for votes, who may vote? Is this just limited
>to administrators of systems, or may common folk vote too?

 Usenet is an anarchy of sites looped together so that nice people (and
 others) may communicate, learn, exchange data, relax and do other things.
 When a new group comes up for a vote, all those who are interested may
 submit a vote...however, the _ideals_ of the voting procedure are that
 those who would use a known group would be voting on it (hopefully).

 For example, if you wanted to start a newsgroup comp.sys.nz.sheep you
 would hold a discussion period in which ANYONE could contribute their
 $.02 (nz) worth, then, after the appropriate waiting period (ahem) you
 would post a call for votes for comp.sys.nz.sheep.  ANYONE on the net,
 including net.gods, net.admins, common.folk and net.schizos may vote on
 your new group (albeit net.schizos may vote twice :-) , even though all
 of them may not subscribe to your sheep group.  That is the way this
 particular anarchy is governed [sic].

 I am sure this is more of an answer than you wanted, but I feel
 loquacious today ;-)

                            Charles Balan
UNCCAB@med.unc.edu   ,    UNCCAB@uncmed.uucp    ,   UNCCAB@unc.bitnet
%%%%%%%%%%%%%  A Witty Saying Proves Nothing - Voltaire  %%%%%%%%%%%%

briang@bari.Sun.COM (Brian Gordon) (01/05/90)

In article <6355@sun.acs.udel.edu> weave@sun.acs.udel.edu (Ken Weaverling) writes:
>This should be an easy question!
>
>When there is a call for votes, who may vote? Is this just limited
>to administrators of systems, or may common folk vote too?

An easy one -- anyone who reads ("subscribes to") news.groups is allowed to
vote, and anyone who has access to e-mail CAN vote.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| Brian G. Gordon	briang@Corp.Sun.COM (if you trust exotic mailers)     |
|			...!sun!briangordon (if you route it yourself)	      |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (01/05/90)

In article <129878@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> briang@sun.UUCP (Brian Gordon) writes:
: In article <6355@sun.acs.udel.edu> weave@sun.acs.udel.edu (Ken Weaverling) writes:
: >This should be an easy question!
: >
:
: An easy one -- anyone who reads ("subscribes to") news.groups is allowed to
: vote, and anyone who has access to e-mail CAN vote.

There is nothing at all that says that you must subscribe to
news.groups in order to vote.

Anyone who is able to is allowed to vote. However, there is one
caveat: the vote is not like a vote in real life, in that all
concerned are obligated to abide by it. Rather, the vote is a way
that people who are responsible for their individual systems can
get a feel for whether they ought to allow a particular newsgroup.
Calling it a vote is something of a misnomer; "poll" would be a
better term.

So, if it were discovered that lots of people voted on a group
who had no real reason to vote, many system administrators are
likely to reject the vote results as not meaningful. The effect?
The newsgroup gets, at best, a poor distribution, and, at worst,
never gets created at all.

This, BTW, is not theoretical; just such a thing (with,
unfortunately, more than just vote-stuffing going on) happened
fairly recently. With the expected results.

To summarize: anyone who can send e-mail *may* vote; only those
who have reasons related to the group (or the net, as it applies
to the group) one way or the other *should* vote.

---
bill@twwells.com

berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) (01/06/90)

In article <1990Jan5.112408.27299@twwells.com> bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) writes:

>To summarize: anyone who can send e-mail *may* vote; only those
>who have reasons related to the group (or the net, as it applies
>to the group) one way or the other *should* vote.

For his next trick, Mr. Wells will explain how someone can have an
interest in seeing a group *not* created.
--
							      John Berryhill
					   143 King William, Newark DE 19711

briang@bari.Sun.COM (Brian Gordon) (01/06/90)

In article <1990Jan5.112408.27299@twwells.com> bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) writes:
>In article <129878@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> briang@sun.UUCP (Brian Gordon) writes:
>: In article <6355@sun.acs.udel.edu> weave@sun.acs.udel.edu (Ken Weaverling) writes:
>: >This should be an easy question!
>: >
>: >When there is a call for votes, who may vote? Is this just limited
>: >to administrators of systems, or may common folk vote too?
>:
>: An easy one -- anyone who reads ("subscribes to") news.groups is allowed to
>: vote, and anyone who has access to e-mail CAN vote.
>
>There is nothing at all that says that you must subscribe to
>news.groups in order to vote.
>
>Anyone who is able to is allowed to vote. However, there is one
>	[...]
>To summarize: anyone who can send e-mail *may* vote; only those
>who have reasons related to the group (or the net, as it applies
>to the group) one way or the other *should* vote.

Not that different a sentiment, really.  Those who do NOT subscribe to
news.groups probably are unaware of the history, protocols, rules/guidelines,
etc.  of typical news group formation and hence, perhaps, "less qualified" to
vote yea or nay.  If you are interested in a topic but naive in the ways of
usenet, you are probably as easy to manipulate as a typical <insert big city
name> <insert traditional controlling party> voter ;-}

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) (01/06/90)

In article <6355@sun.acs.udel.edu>, weave@sun.acs.udel.edu (Ken Weaverling) writes:

> When there is a call for votes, who may vote? Is this just limited
> to administrators of systems, or may common folk vote too?

> Ken Weaverling - Systems Administrator |  Internet: 00499@vax1.acs.udel.edu

Anyone who can get a vote in (this generally, but not necessarily, implies
having an email account somewhere) to the vote-taker is entitled to vote.
There's no restriction regarding who may vote, only that they're limited
to one vote per person. One person sending in several votes under
different names is heavily frowned upon.

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)

berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) (01/06/90)

It's very simple.

Send your e-mail address to richard@gryphon.com telling him that I
sent you.  Every week you will receive a list of which groups the
cognoscenti are voting for and against.  That way you can be assured
of never ending up on the wrong side of a vote.

--

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (01/06/90)

In article <129926@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> briang@sun.UUCP (Brian Gordon) writes:
: >Anyone who is able to is allowed to vote. However, there is one
: >     [...]
: >To summarize: anyone who can send e-mail *may* vote; only those
: >who have reasons related to the group (or the net, as it applies
: >to the group) one way or the other *should* vote.
:
: Not that different a sentiment, really.  Those who do NOT subscribe to
: news.groups probably are unaware of the history, protocols, rules/guidelines,
: etc.  of typical news group formation and hence, perhaps, "less qualified" to
: vote yea or nay.  If you are interested in a topic but naive in the ways of
: usenet, you are probably as easy to manipulate as a typical <insert big city
: name> <insert traditional controlling party> voter ;-}

Well, one could, for example, subscribe to
news.announce.newgroups and leave news.groups to the vermin.
Considering the typical activities on news.groups, that may be a
good idea. I'm seriously considering it myself.

However, Mr. Gordon does have a good point: to vote, one should be
aware of what is going on; reading news.groups will certainly
enlighten you. While disgusting you.

Oh well, no one has ever suggested that politics is clean. :-)

---
bill@twwells.com

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (01/06/90)

In article <7557@nigel.udel.EDU> berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) writes:
: It's very simple.
:
: Send your e-mail address to richard@gryphon.com telling him that I
: sent you.  Every week you will receive a list of which groups the
: cognoscenti are voting for and against.  That way you can be assured
: of never ending up on the wrong side of a vote.

Excuse me, Mr. Berryhill, this newsgroup is not talk.bizarre.

When this group was first created, a host of dimwits, who thought
themselves oh so clever, posted quite a bit of inanity and very
nearly made this group useless. Fortunately for us, they got
tired of their fun and went off somewhere else.

Since then, this group has been serving quite nicely its intended
purpose. Without, by and large, flame wars and large numbers of
irrelevant postings.

We'd like to keep it that way.

Please take your comments elsewhere. They are not wanted here.

---
bill@twwells.com

mholtz@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Holtz) (01/07/90)

In article <6355@sun.acs.udel.edu>, weave@sun.acs.udel.edu (Ken Weaverling) writes:
> When there is a call for votes, who may vote? Is this just limited
> to administrators of systems, or may common folk vote too?

When a call for votes is announced, everyone on the net maills in
their vote IF THEY WANT TO.
--
{ames att sun}!pacbell! \                 <-> America OnLine: Mark Holtz
        ucdavis!csusac! -> sactoh0!mholtz <=>       GEnie: M.HOLTZ