[news.newusers.questions] Rot 13 Postings

mkuch@watcsc.waterloo.edu (Murray Kucherawy) (01/08/90)

Can anyone tell me how to store a posting that was posted in
ROT 13 in its decrypted form? I tried reading it, then reading
it with CTRL/X (decrypted), and then saving it, but it saves
it to a file in ROT 13. Please help.

                        -=+* Murray S. Kucherawy *+=-
Faculty of Mathematics (Comp Sci), University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario
System Manager, VAX/VMS Network, Board of Education, London, Ontario
INTERNET: mkuch@watcsc.waterloo.edu   UUCP: mkuch@watcsc.UUCP
       or mkuch@watcsc.UWaterloo.ca   BANG: uucp!watmath!maytag!watcsc!mkuch
"The saddest words of tongue or pen are those of what could have been."

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (01/08/90)

In article <1990Jan7.204009.10925@watcsc.waterloo.edu> mkuch@watcsc.waterloo.edu (Murray Kucherawy) writes:
: Can anyone tell me how to store a posting that was posted in
: ROT 13 in its decrypted form? I tried reading it, then reading
: it with CTRL/X (decrypted), and then saving it, but it saves
: it to a file in ROT 13. Please help.

Everyone on the net should have read the postings in
news.announce.newusers, since many questions are answered there.
Among which is the above question. (Well, almost. But you should
be able to figure out the answer from the information provided.)

Here is a piece of a posting from there:

---

From: spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford)
Newsgroups: news.announce.newusers
Subject: A Primer on How to Work With the Usenet Community  (Updated: 17 Oct 1989)
Date: 23 Dec 89 19:54:31 GMT

	       Please Rotate Messages With Questionable Content

  Certain newsgroups (such as rec.humor) have messages in them that may
  be offensive to some people.  To make sure that these messages are
  not read unless they are explicitly requested, these messages should
  be encrypted.  The standard encryption method is to rotate each
  letter by thirteen characters so that an "a" becomes an "n".  This is
  known on the network as "rot13" and when you rotate a message the
  word "rot13" should be in the "Subject:" line.  Most of the software
  used to read usenet articles have some way of encrypting and
  decrypting messages.  Your system administrator can tell you how the
  software on your system works, or you can use the Unix command "tr
  [a-z][A-Z] [n-z][a-m][N-Z][A-M]". (Note that some versions of Unix
  don't require the [] in the "tr" command.  In fact, some systems will
  get upset if you use them in an unquoted manner.  The following
  should work for everyone, but may be shortened on some systems:
	tr '[a-m][n-z][A-M][N-Z]' '[n-z][a-m][N-Z][A-M]'
  Don't forget the single quotes!)

---

---
bill@twwells.com