[news.newusers.questions] Beginner's guide to downloading

timj@amsdev.UUCP (Timothy Jones) (01/08/90)

Can anyone out there point me in the direction of a good source of info on how
to access files listed as ANON FTP in many of your postings?  I've been told
to download a file ... (does 'Catch-22' ring any bells here?).

Any books or a response here (open post would be nice since I know I'm not
alone in this instance) or in E-Mail would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, anyone with UUCP/USENET/ESIX experience, I'd love to chat with you.

Tim Jones
AmSoft Development
...!uunet!pcgbase!amsdev!timj

subbarao@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Subbarao) (01/08/90)

In article <4@amsdev.UUCP> timj@amsdev.UUCP (Timothy Jones) writes:
>Can anyone out there point me in the direction of a good source of info on how
>to access files listed as ANON FTP in many of your postings?  I've been told
>to download a file ... (does 'Catch-22' ring any bells here?).

  Anonymous ftp is neat and simple. Let's say the hostname is uunet.uu.net
  do the following:

  ftp uunet.uu.net

  Then, when prompted for the login, type anonymous
  for the password, type anything you want -- then you will be logged in
  as an anonymous ftper.

  ftp> is the prompt.

  To "download" a file, type get <filename>
  To "upload" a file, type put <filename>

  for more info on commands available, type help after you have logged in
  or do a man on ftp.

				-An up and coming UNIX wizard,
				 Kartik Subbarao

--
subbarao@{phoenix,bogey or gauguin}.princeton.edu
"A penny saved is a penny earned -- so a dollar saved is a dollar earned.

In article <12771@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>
	subbarao@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Subbarao) writes:
>  Anonymous ftp is neat and simple. ...
>  do the following:
>
>  ftp ...

This only works if you are on the Internet; the original poster
is not.  For those people there may be alternatives.

Some sites offer anonymous uucp service (you just pay for the
phone call, not too bad if you have Telebit PEP modems).  There
are also "archive servers" that handle e-mailed requests.  You
can find out more about these in the newsgroup comp.archives.

If you see a reference to something you want, mail the author or
post a request along the lines of "I would like to get a copy of
this but I do not have FTP access.  Is it available from an
archive server, or is there someone who can mail me a copy?"
(If several people say they can, ask ONE to do it...  you don't
want many, many copies of large items; if you see a posted
request, don't mail it unless it's small, just offer to).

Some things are so large that it's not worthwhile to transfer via
modem... using an Exabyte tape drive I can put 2.2 Gigabytes on
an 8mm video cartridge that fits in the palm of my hand.  If I
drop it in the mail the whole shebang is about US$10.  Of course
the tape is reusable, so most of this is one-time cost.  For
about $7 more it it will be in your hands tomorrow (instead of
1-3 days).

					-=EPS=-

matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (01/09/90)

In article <4@amsdev.UUCP> timj@amsdev.UUCP (Timothy Jones) writes:
>Can anyone out there point me in the direction of a good source of info on how
>to access files listed as ANON FTP in many of your postings?  I've been told
>to download a file ... (does 'Catch-22' ring any bells here?).

[stuff deleted]
>Tim Jones
>AmSoft Development

Well, that most likely refers to an "anonymous ftp" site file.  To get to it
is relatively easy, at least from Unix and if your Unix account has access to
the Internet (or whatever net it is; never did get all those nets straight).
From the Unix % prompt, type "ftp <site name>" where <site name> was hopefully
given in the message.  When it asks for your userid, just type "anonymous";
when it asks for the password, your real userid usually suffices.  You have
read-only access (for the most part) to the public libraries that FTP server
has (ftp, btw, stands for File Transfer Protocol, in case anyone out there
doesn't know).  At this stage, it's just a matter of cd'ing to the right
directory path, and "get"ing the files you want.  If the file is binary, make
sure you tell ftp about it (type "binary" at the ftp> prompt).

I think that about covers it..

johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Conan the Barbarian) (01/09/90)

>  Anonymous ftp is neat and simple. Let's say the hostname is uunet.uu.net
>  do the following:
>
>  ftp uunet.uu.net

     I try this on my site, and it doesn't like it.  But if I go something
like 123.0.1.2 I get through (normally).  Question is, how do I convert
an address like the one you show to numbers like I need?  Thanks.

--
"After all is said and done,                       John Schmitt
 a lot more is said than done."                    johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca

In article <25A987F7.12893@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca>
	johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Conan the Barbarian) writes:
>>      uunet.uu.net
>     I try this on my site, and it doesn't like it.  But if I go something
>like 123.0.1.2 I get through (normally).  Question is, how do I convert
>an address like the one you show to numbers like I need?  Thanks.

All Internet-connected sites should use a resolver to translate
names to and from numeric IP addresses.  For most, this means
providing your machine with a list of nameservers that will
act on its behalf.  For example, most UNIX systems store this
information in the file /etc/resolv.conf

Those few sites without resolvers (there shouldn't be many,
although we have an old SGI IRIS that, alas, has this problem)
need to maintain a hosts table for commonly-accessed sites.

Numeric IP addresses are subject to change, and not something you
should memorize or care about normally.

					-=EPS=-

taxman@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu (01/10/90)

In article <25A987F7.12893@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca>, johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Conan the Barbarian) writes:
  [text deleted]

>      I try this on my site, and it doesn't like it.  But if I go something
> like 123.0.1.2 I get through (normally).  Question is, how do I convert
> an address like the one you show to numbers like I need?  Thanks.

If you are running Multinet or Wollogong TCP you have a program known as
NSLOOKUP for name-->address conversion. Another method is to telnet to
NIC.DDN.MIL and use their nameserver database. Im sure there are more ways, but
the aforementioned are the only ones I know of.

Mike Wommack      Inet: taxman@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu
                 BITnet: taxman@drycas
                 UUCP: {backbone}!pt.cs.cmu.edu!drycas!taxman

vijay@cscaza.nscu.edu (Vijay Srinivasan) (01/10/90)

	To convert internet addresses (and possibly others, too) to the
"number" format; i.e cscaza.ncsu.edu to 128.109.217.5, most machines
offer the facility "nslookup." You can try typing "nsquery host <host
name>" (where hostname is something like cscaza.ncsu.edu). I am not sure
of this feature though, and anyone who knows more, may please
clarify/expand.

Vijay Srinivasan