[news.newusers.questions] Inet->Snail relay?

taxman@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu (Michael C. Wommack) (01/14/90)

hello

Im not exactly sure which group this would fall under so Id thought Id try here
Is there an inet server of sorts in which you send your e-mail to with a real
(as in US postal service) address in the message body and they in turn will mail
your message. Sorta like an Inet->Snail Mail relay.

thanks

Mike Wommack      Inet: taxman@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu
                 BITnet: taxman@drycas
                 UUCP: uunet!drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu!taxman
                 CCNet: DRYCAS::TAXMAN

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (01/15/90)

In article <162.25af6ce0@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu> taxman@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu (Michael C. Wommack) writes:
>Is there an inet server of sorts in which you send your e-mail to with a real
>(as in US postal service) address in the message body and they in turn will
>mail your message. Sorta like an Inet->Snail Mail relay.

CompuServe will do this, but first you have to join.  They have a big add in
their "Online Today" magazine with an old wooden cottage by a lake, no roads,
wires, antennas or anything to be seen, with a caption something like "now
you can send e-mail to those who don't have e-mail addresses..."  I'm not
sure if the recipient can send a reply... would YOU want someone to read and
type in personal mail sent to you? ...

--
The 'C' programming language is, at worst, the second best language for any
given application.  Usually, however, it is the best.  --  anon

Wayne Hayes	INTERNET: wayne@csri.toronto.edu	CompuServe: 72401,3525