[news.newusers.questions] Anonymous ftp

srm@unify.uucp (Steve Maraglia) (01/18/90)

I'm sure this has been asked before (please! no flames) but here
goes anyway.
I've heard it's possible to anonymous FTP from a UUCP site. Is this
true?  If so, can someone post or e-mail me the procedure to do so.

Thank You
Steve Maraglia				   internet: srm@unify.UUCP
Unify Corporation			   ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!srm
3870 Rosin Court    Sacramento, CA 95834   (916) 920-9092

In article <hyh99xu@unify.uucp> srm@unify.UUCP (Steve Maraglia) writes:
>I've heard it's possible to anonymous FTP from a UUCP site. Is this
>true?  If so, can someone post or e-mail me the procedure to do so.

False.

What you \can/ do as a UUCP-only site:
	1) Anonymous UUCP (*not* FTP) from sites that offer it;
	   you pay for the phone call.
	2) Mail to someone (or something, e.g. archive server)
	   to request a file transfer on your behalf, which,
	   depending on your connectivity would be either uucp'ed
	   (uuto'ed?) or mailed back.

(It's highly unlikely anyone would allow you to uux ftp or any of
its variants directly, but it's technically possible.)

See the newsgroup comp.archives for more information.

					-=EPS=-