[news.newusers.questions] Hello world

lotridge@charlie.amd.bnl.gov (Charlie Lotridge) (01/21/90)

Hello all,
	I'm a new user and I'm not completely convinced my posts are reaching
the world.  If you read this within, say, 24 hours of the post time, could you
email me telling me so?  Thanx in advance.
	BTW, if this is not the correct newsgroup to post this kind of article,
I'll make it more legitimate by asking: What is the correct newsgroup to do
this in?
						- Charlie

In article <1649@bnlux0.bnl.gov> I wrote:
>Hello all,
>	I'm a new user and I'm not completely convinced my posts are reaching
>the world.  If you read this within, say, 24 hours of the post time, could you
>email me telling me so?  Thanx in advance.

Several people have responded, thanks to all...

>	BTW, if this is not the correct newsgroup to post this kind of article,
>I'll make it more legitimate by asking: What is the correct newsgroup to do
>this in?
>						- Charlie

Many people have made mention of the 'test' groups which I should have used.
Well, I did have a question...:-)

						- Charlie

pa1027@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (John C. Fowler) (01/21/90)

In article <1649@bnlux0.bnl.gov> lotridge@charlie.amd.bnl.gov (Charlie Lotridge) writes:
>	I'm a new user and I'm not completely convinced my posts are reaching
>the world.  If you read this within, say, 24 hours of the post time, could you
>email me telling me so?  Thanx in advance.
>	BTW, if this is not the correct newsgroup to post this kind of article,
>I'll make it more legitimate by asking: What is the correct newsgroup to do
>this in?

No, this is not the correct newsgroup, but it is better than most
because some of the people reading it will forgive you, considering
you're a new user.

The correct place to post test messages (such as those asking, "Is
this getting out, and how quickly?") is in one of the "test" groups.
There are various names for them depending on what kind of newsfeed
you get, but the official Usenet test group is misc.test.  A number
of systems have automatic mailers linked to this (and other test
groups), and they will send you E-mail upon receipt, so you know the
extent your message has reached, roughly.

Be sure to limit the distribution to the minimum possible, though.
There's no reason to get E-Mail receipts from around the world if
you just wanted to see if your message would get out at all.

--
John C. Fowler, jfowler@ucsd.edu