[news.newusers.questions] What the % means

HUFF@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Steve Huff, U. of Kansas, Lawrence) (01/14/90)

In article <1644@dsac.dla.mil>, nor1675@dsac.dla.mil (Michael Figg) writes:

> What does the '%' do in an address like this? Is it saying noriega at
> jail.usu.gov, which is a system that uunet.uu.net knows about?

From my experience with Telemail, the % tells the mailer which node
to send the message too.  For example,
	m.dimler%telemail@intermail.isi.edu

tells intermail to send the message to user/mailbox 'm.dimler' on
node 'telemail'.

Of cours, this is my best guess.  Anybody care to back me up or
correct it?

Steve
If the opposite of pro is con, what is the opposite of progress?

Steve Huff
Internet:  HUFF@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Bitnet:    HUFF@ukanvax.BITNET
EmCon:     K1TR  or  KW02   (If you have access, please say so!)

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (01/14/90)

In article <21209@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> HUFF@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Steve Huff, U. of Kansas, Lawrence) writes:
: In article <1644@dsac.dla.mil>, nor1675@dsac.dla.mil (Michael Figg) writes:
: > What does the '%' do in an address like this? Is it saying noriega at
: > jail.usu.gov, which is a system that uunet.uu.net knows about?

Roughly.

The most important thing to realize about the '%' is that it does
not have *any* fixed meaning. There might be an RFC somewhere
that says something about it, but I don't know.

That means that in the address a%b@c, a%b is just a name like any
other name, so far as the machines sending your mail to c are
concerned. But once your mail gets to c, it may see the address
a%b and say `hmmmm, I guess I have to fiddle some more before
delivering this'. Typically, what it does then is to change the %
to an @ and then sends the message to the new address. On the
other hand, it might bounce your message with `I don't have a
local user a%b'. It all depends on the site.

As an example, some Bitnet sites, I'm told, have trouble dealing
with mail addressed to my site. If they try to send to
bill@twwells.com, it doesn't go through (in case anyone cares, it
is supposedly because their gateway doesn't understand MX
records, but that is a topic for another time). So, instead, they
mail to bill%twwells.com@uunet.uu.net. Mail to uunet works fine.
Uunet gets a `local' address bill%twwells.com, notes the %,
changes it to an @, and sends the mail off to bill@twwells.com.

In general, however, it is not a good idea to provide addresses
that contain a %. They should only be provided when the normal
addresses won't work for some reason or another.

---
Bill                    { uunet | novavax | ankh } !twwells!bill
bill@twwells.com

wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) (01/22/90)

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) writes:

>                                        If they try to send to
>bill@twwells.com, it doesn't go through (in case anyone cares, it
>is supposedly because their gateway doesn't understand MX
>records, but that is a topic for another time).

Does now.

220 CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU running IBM VM SMTP R1.2.2MX on Sun, 21 Jan 90 17:20:29 EST
                                              ^^

Never let it be said that IBM doesn't stay abreast of all the latest
technology -- a mere five years after it becomes the latest
technology.

w.