[news.newusers.questions] Converting Internet addresses to UUCP addresses

dnb@fltk.UUCP (David Buonomo) (01/05/90)

Could anybody point me in the direction of information reguarding converting
an Internet address such as:

			noreiga@jail.usa.gov

into a UUCP address like:

			uunet!jail!noreiga

I've read the mailaddr man page but have found little in books/tutorials.
Is there a "definitive reference" that discusses how to do the conversion.

Sorry if this has been addressed before, I'm new to talking over the net.
Thanks in advance.

David Buonomo
FileTek
Rockville, Maryland

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (01/06/90)

In article <325@fltk.UUCP> dnb@fltk.UUCP (David Buonomo) writes:
: Could anybody point me in the direction of information reguarding converting
: an Internet address such as:
:
:                       noreiga@jail.usa.gov
:
: into a UUCP address like:
:
:                       uunet!jail!noreiga
:
: I've read the mailaddr man page but have found little in books/tutorials.
: Is there a "definitive reference" that discusses how to do the conversion.

I don't have time for a long reply (dinner calls!) but the short
answer is, if you can send mail to uunet, mail to
uunet!jail.usa.gov!noreiga should do the trick.

: Sorry if this has been addressed before, I'm new to talking over the net.

No problem. That's what this newsgroup is for.

---
bill@twwells.com

brnstnd@stealth.acf.nyu.edu (01/07/90)

In article <325@fltk.UUCP> dnb@fltk.UUCP (David Buonomo) writes:
> an Internet address such as:
> 			noreiga@jail.usa.gov
> into a UUCP address like:
>  			uunet!jail!noreiga

The first host address, jail.usa.gov, is a dotted address or a domain
address. It may not represent an Internet address like 128.66.3.2; it
could instead be a UUCP bang-path address. The safest way to get mail
to jail.usa.gov is to route it through uunet or another Internet site
that understands the UUCP map. (Try noriega%jail.usa.gov@uunet.uu.net
with most mailers.) Mail routing can be very complex.

---Dan

davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) (01/09/90)

-
-The first host address, jail.usa.gov, is a dotted address or a domain
-address. It may not represent an Internet address like 128.66.3.2; it
-could instead be a UUCP bang-path address. The safest way to get mail
-to jail.usa.gov is to route it through uunet or another Internet site
-that understands the UUCP map. (Try noriega%jail.usa.gov@uunet.uu.net
-with most mailers.) Mail routing can be very complex.

Dan is both right and wrong.  the "jail.usa.gov" is a domain address.
And, yes, mail routing can be very complex.  But depending on the
mailer you use, the example he gives may not work.

I suggest using "<site>!jail.usa.gov!noreiga", where site can be uunet,
but can also be most any other machine that communicates via the internet.

There are two RFC's on mail routing; unfortunately I can't remember the
numbers, but I'd only recommend looking these up if you're *really*
interested in the mechanics of routing algebra's (!'s before .'s and equal
to @'s, etc).

Hope this helps.

--
        David Bedno aka davidbe@sco.COM: Speaking from but not for SCO.

	 "horses make me neurotic about my penis size, so i generally
 	  don't hang around them."		    - mikeha@sco.COM

nor1675@dsac.dla.mil (Michael Figg) (01/13/90)

In article <1160@scorn.sco.COM>, davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) writes:

> -that understands the UUCP map. (Try noriega%jail.usa.gov@uunet.uu.net
> -with most mailers.) Mail routing can be very complex.

What does the '%' do in an address like this? Is it saying noriega at
jail.usu.gov, which is a system that uunet.uu.net knows about?

						 Thanks,
						 MSF

--
"Could we be the bellwether  | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
 of major societal shifts?"  | DLA Systems Automation Center - Columbus,Oh

taxman@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu (01/14/90)

>> -that understands the UUCP map. (Try noriega%jail.usa.gov@uunet.uu.net
>> -with most mailers.) Mail routing can be very complex.
>>

> What does the '%' do in an address like this? Is it saying noriega at
> jail.usu.gov, which is a system that uunet.uu.net knows about?
>
> 						 Thanks,
> 						 MSF

in most, if not all mailers you cant use @ twice in one address. The % sign
serves the same purpose as @. ie taxman%drycas.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu would
be read as user taxman at BITnetnode drycas via cunyvm.cuny.edu.

hope that helps

Mike Wommack      Inet: taxman@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu
                 BITnet: taxman@drycas
                 UUCP: uunet!drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu!taxman
                 CCNet: DRYCAS::TAXMAN

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (01/15/90)

In article <1644@dsac.dla.mil> nor1675@dsac.dla.mil (Michael Figg) writes:
|In article <1160@scorn.sco.COM>, davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) writes:
|>
|> -that understands the UUCP map. (Try noriega%jail.usa.gov@uunet.uu.net
|> -with most mailers.) Mail routing can be very complex.
|>

|What does the '%' do in an address like this? Is it saying noriega at
|jail.usu.gov, which is a system that uunet.uu.net knows about?

	The rules say that there can be only
	one "@" in an address, since it is supposed
	to be a name and not a route. The "%" was
	invented as a kluge to add some routing
	like "!" in UUCP, and is mostly equivalent
	to "@" in syntax.

	The problem is that once "%" gets into
	the UUCP domain, many mailers don't
	recognize it as a special character -
	'smail' is a typical example. An address
	"you%there@becker.UUCP" is presumably intended
	to go to UUCP site "becker" who will then
	figure out "you%there" and send to user
	"you" at site "there", as if "you@there"
	had been specified from there.

	Until quite recently, when I put in a patch
	to 'smail', such mail would be delivered to
	local user "you%there" on "becker" - 'smail',
	finding no such user, would bounce the message.

	The other problem is that there is no established
	precedence in operators between "@" and "!".
	"uunet!bdb@becker" is subject to interpretation
	as "becker!uunet!bdb" or "uunet!becker!bdb",
	when moved into the UUCP domain. So in order
	to address this site you might need to try
	"becker!bdb@uunet" to get there instead,
	depending on local or intermediate mailer
	implementations. For 'smail', the second form
	turns out to be the correct one.

	When "%" is interpreted as "@", the same problems
	arise. They are slightly simpler due to the fact
	that "%" is not official, so the default behavior
	of 'smail' above is technically correct, if
	unforgiving. If "%" is interpreted, it is
	done last, after all other mistakes are made
	(if any), so it does have an implied precedence
	of a sort.

	This is lotsa fun, but not necessarily productive
	when you want to get mail from one network to
	another - "%" can help, but like "!", you end
	up needing to know local and intermediate conditions
	in order to use it effectively.

	I've probably said things which others will have
	differing opinions on - if so, the ensuing
	brouhaha will likely be educational, if things
	are working as they should...

Cheers,
--
  ,,,,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \$$/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) (01/22/90)

taxman@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu writes:

>in most, if not all mailers you cant use @ twice in one address.

Using more than one at sign in an address is Officially Frowned Upon
and, in fact, if you do so, the Internet Protocol Police will hunt you
down and do you grievous bodily harm. We really don't want to see this
happen, so please, just follow the rules.

w.

peltz@cerl.uiuc.edu (Steve Peltz) (01/23/90)

In article <WISNER.90Jan21131413@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) writes:
>Using more than one at sign in an address is Officially Frowned Upon
>and, in fact, if you do so, the Internet Protocol Police will hunt you
>down and do you grievous bodily harm. We really don't want to see this
>happen, so please, just follow the rules.

An address of the form <@host1,@host2:person@host3> (where host1/2/3 are in
domain form) is legal, although I've found that a lot of mailers will kindly
re-write that for you, sometimes into a form that the receiving system won't
accept...(i.e. the above might be translated into person%host3%host2@host1,
but any of the hosts in the route may not like that format.
--
Steve Peltz (almost) CFI-G
"Monticello traffic, Glider 949 landing 18, full stop"

In article <WISNER.90Jan21131413@hayes.fai.alaska.edu>
	wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) writes:
>Using more than one at sign in an address is Officially Frowned Upon
>and, in fact, if you do so, the Internet Protocol Police will hunt you
>down and do you grievous bodily harm.

While it's now officially frowned upon, the IPP will *not* do you
grievous bodily harm if you do it responsibly.  Let's suppose you
have an address that doesn't resolve--like HAYES.FAI.ALASKA.EDU
for example.  (nslookup says the only valid *.fai.alaska.edu are
acad3, barney, fred, sxclm, sxjlh, sxtjh, systems, systems1,
ua-gw, and ua-gw2.)  I might try
	@acad3.fai.alaska.edu:wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu
in the hope that acad3 runs a hacked mail system that intercepts
what appears to be a bogus address.  And yes, there's more than
one @ in there.  (Bill, why do your articles look like NNTP
forgeries?)

					-=EPS=-

davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) (01/24/90)

She said that he said that she said that eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) said:
-In article <WISNER.90Jan21131413@hayes.fai.alaska.edu>
-	wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) writes:
->Using more than one at sign in an address is Officially Frowned Upon
-
-While it's now officially frowned upon, the IPP will *not* do you
-grievous bodily harm if you do it responsibly.  Let's suppose you
-have an address that doesn't resolve--like HAYES.FAI.ALASKA.EDU
-for example.  (nslookup says the only valid *.fai.alaska.edu are
-acad3, barney, fred, sxclm, sxjlh, sxtjh, systems, systems1,
-ua-gw, and ua-gw2.)  I might try
-	@acad3.fai.alaska.edu:wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu
-in the hope that acad3 runs a hacked mail system that intercepts
-what appears to be a bogus address.  And yes, there's more than
-one @ in there.

Yeah, but they *should* do you harm.  How can you be sure that the sites
that will route your mail will be hacked appropriately.

To get mail to Bill without attracting the attention of the IPP, mail to:
acad3.fai.alaska.edu!hayes.fai.alaska.edu!wisner
(sending directly to hayes would probably work, as nslookup may not be
completely up to date.  it would get to fai, and locally get sent to
the proper place.)

Both RFC's (at least the latest one) say that you can use full domain names
as intermediate routers.  You need never use an @ sign again, actually.

This is probably the preferred method for people who live on UUCP nodes,
and don't have nslookup.

						not a mail address guru
						but i play one at work

--
      David Bedno aka davidbe@sco.COM: Speaking from but not for SCO.

           	     "Forget it, Jake.  It's Chinatown."

In article <1670@scorn.sco.COM> davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) writes:
>To get mail to Bill without attracting the attention of the IPP, mail to:
>acad3.fai.alaska.edu!hayes.fai.alaska.edu!wisner

That will almost certainly bounce when it gets to acad3,
as it will have been rewritten as
	hayes.fai.alaska.edu!wisner@acad3.fai.alaska.edu
and I don't expect what looks like a VAX running TWG to accept
the left hand side of that.  *NO* Internet site need understand
bang paths.

>(sending directly to hayes would probably work, as nslookup may not be
>completely up to date.  it would get to fai, and locally get sent to
>the proper place.)

Sorry, that's not how it works.  If nslookup can't find it,
nothing else has a prayer.  Messages do not get sent to fai
first (though fai.alaska.edu happens to be valid, there's no
no "requirement" for a host to "be its domain").

In any case, I received mail from Bill saying that (1) the
DNS information for his machine is screwed up, and he's been
trying to get the appropriate administrators to fix this and
(2) please not to use acad3 as a relay because it is screwed
up even more.  What he didn't send me was a domain literal,
which could work around the lack of name service.  I trust
that the problems are being attended to.

					-=EPS=-