[news.newusers.questions] A question from a net.virgin

ohrnb@edstip.EDS.COM (Erik Ohrnberger) (01/11/90)

I'm sure this is a trivial question, but here goes:
I have seen the (handle abbreviation symbol) IMHO
in a number of net messages.  What does this mean?

Thanks for your help.

In article <820@edstip.EDS.COM> ohrnb@edstip.EDS.COM (Erik Ohrnberger) writes:
>I'm sure this is a trivial question, but here goes:
>I have seen the (handle abbreviation symbol) IMHO
>in a number of net messages.  What does this mean?

It means you should read the articles in news.announce.newusers.

					-=EPS=-

arromdee@crabcake.cs.jhu.edu (Kenneth Arromdee) (01/12/90)

In article <250@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <820@edstip.EDS.COM> ohrnb@edstip.EDS.COM (Erik Ohrnberger) writes:
>>I'm sure this is a trivial question, but here goes:
>>I have seen the (handle abbreviation symbol) IMHO
>>in a number of net messages.  What does this mean?
>It means you should read the articles in news.announce.newusers.

Let's not go through this again.

Not every site either obeys the expiration date on, or stores, the
news.announce.newusers articles.  Furthermore, the very fact that the new
user is asking such a question means that it's more likely than usual that
this particular new user is at such a site.

Now, since the articles are supposed to be available, someone has indeed
screwed up.  However, that doesn't mean it's the new user who screwed up;
maybe it's the news administrator or someone similar who screwed up.  Please,
don't give semi-flaming, deliberately nonresponsive answers based on the
assumption that the new user screwed up; you don't know that.  If you're
going to answer the question at all, really answer the question.

(Not to mention the idiocy of using "RTFM" in your header considering that if
the new user doesn't know what IMHO means he's unlikely to know what RTFM
means.)

PS: IMHO = "In my humble/honest opinion"
RTFM = "Read the f**king manual"
--
"Workers of the world, we're sorry!" --Soviet protestor's slogan

Kenneth Arromdee (UUCP: ....!jhunix!arromdee; BITNET: arromdee@jhuvm;
     INTERNET: arromdee@crabcake.cs.jhu.edu)

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (01/12/90)

> RTFM = "Read the f**king manual"

Another interesting aspect of USENET to observe is that some people
think that substituting * characters for one or two letters in a word
will somehow make the word less offensive to those it would otherwise
offend.

Actually, this doesn't exist just on USENET and other electronic
communication forums, but it still is somewhat amusing to see.

Dave
--
   (setq mail '("tale@cs.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

unccab@calico.med.unc.edu (Charles Balan) (01/12/90)

In article <604@crabcake> arromdee@crabcake.cs.jhu.edu (Kenneth Arromdee) writes:

>RTFM = "Read the f**king manual"

Hmm, I always regarded RTFM to mean = "Read the Fine Manual"

Of course, I have to eat with the same mouth I talk out of :)

                            Charles Balan
UNCCAB@med.unc.edu   ,    UNCCAB@uncmed.uucp    ,   UNCCAB@unc.bitnet
%%%%%%%%%%%%%  A Witty Saying Proves Nothing - Voltaire  %%%%%%%%%%%%

kebera@alzabo.uucp (Krishna E. Bera) (01/14/90)

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:

>> RTFM = "Read the f**king manual"

>Another interesting aspect of USENET to observe is that some people
>think that substituting * characters for one or two letters in a word
>will somehow make the word less offensive to those it would otherwise
>offend.

Using the * may indicate that at least the writer knows
s/he is swearing and is using the *'d word to emphasize the
point being made. Thus, the *'d word is a superfluous
flavouring particle.

It would work if people did it right -- you're supposed to
hide enough letters so it could be read as any number
of well known cuss words. After all, there are still poeple
who say 'frigging', 'freaking' more naturally than 'fucking'
when they swear.

I would suggest f-ing as a compromise. It might be more
in line with the UNIX regexp tradition to use f*ing, though.

--
Krishna E. Bera			"Programmer on the loose"
USENET:	ytopya!kebera@alzabo.UUCP

roy@comcon.UUCP (Roy M. Silvernail) (01/16/90)

In article <1990Jan13.171322.20571@alzabo.uucp>, kebera@alzabo.uucp (Krishna E. Bera) writes:
> It might be more in line with the UNIX regexp tradition to use f*ing, though.

Wouldn't that be 'f.*ing'?

--
_R_o_y _M_. _S_i_l_v_e_r_n_a_i_l  | UUCP: uunet!comcon!roy  |  "Every race must arrive at this
#include <opinions.h>;#define opinions MINE  |   point in its history"

ejo@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Eric Olson) (01/22/90)

In article <252@comcon.UUCP> roy@comcon.UUCP (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:

>   _R_o_y _M_. _S_i_l_v_e_r_n_a_i_l  | UUCP: uunet!comcon!roy  |  "Every race must arrive at this
>   #include <opinions.h>;#define opinions MINE  |   point in its history"
>   SnailMail: P.O. Box 210856, Anchorage,       |   ........Mr. Slippery
>   Alaska, 99521-0856, U.S.A., Earth, etc.      |  <Ono-Sendai: the right choice!>

What is WITH this _^H* business?  Are you hoping that EVERYONE who is reading
your stuff will be on a hardcopy terminal so they can get the full effect of
your name being underlined?  It's just amazing to me how many people do this
with wild abandon, when a little reflection will reveal that the _ will be
*gone* after you backspace over it and a little more of our lives will
be GONE from us because you think you're being clever???  AAAAIGH!!

Well, maybe they're not THAT bad, but Lord, they're not good.

--
"Why don't you get a haircut?  You look like a Chrysanthemum."
   -P. G. Wodehouse

"How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught
in the roller of an electric typewriter?"
   -Woody Allen

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (01/22/90)

In article <EJO.90Jan21131659@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> ejo@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Eric Olson) writes:
>In article <252@comcon.UUCP> roy@comcon.UUCP (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:
>
>>   _R_o_y _M_. _S_i_l_v_e_r_n_a_i_l  | UUCP: uunet!comcon!roy  |  "Every race must arrive at this
>
>What is WITH this _^H* business?  Are you hoping that EVERYONE who is reading
>your stuff will be on a hardcopy terminal so they can get the full effect of

Interestingly enough, when I see the above, it appears in YELLOW on my
color screen, while the rest of the text is white!  The Subject: line
also appears in yellow.

I have setenv TERM vt100 set on my unix environment, and am using PROCOMM
on my PC for logging in.  Apparently my newsreader knows how to change
the underlines into appropriate escape sequences for a vt100 terminal.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

In article <25ba4305.5a74@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>
	jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:
>I have setenv TERM vt100 set on my unix environment, and am using PROCOMM
>on my PC for logging in.  Apparently my newsreader knows how to change
>the underlines into appropriate escape sequences for a vt100 terminal.

... and on my Zenith-29 screen I see honest-to-goodness
underlined text.

If your newsreader can't display
_u_n_d_e_r_l_i_n_e_d_ _t_e_x_t
properly, there's probably something wrong with your newsreader,
or the way you have it set up.  (I assume that BITNET is beyond
hope if things get mangled in EBCDIC-land.)

					-=EPS=-

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (01/23/90)

In article <271@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:

   If your newsreader can't display
   _u_n_d_e_r_l_i_n_e_d_ _t_e_x_t
   properly, there's probably something wrong with your newsreader,
   or the way you have it set up.

Bzzt, wrong answer.  There is nothing in the RFCs that I have found
that say a newsreader should be able to understand C-h interpretation
in the conventional tty manner.  Yes, the transports mechanisms
_allow_ C-h to be passed, but people are really relying on special tty
handling in order to turn it into something else.  Note well that
there are other, usually better, ways to put a terminal into underline
mode.  The underscore/C-h/char sequence is just an accepted convention
that is consistent with teletypes but not with other C-h processing by
typical terminals, except those like the Tektronix 4014.

I read news in GNU Emacs.  Heck, I do nearly all of my computing in
Emacs.  It prints the underline sequence as is, showing me each
individual character that makes up the sequence.  It's ugly, annoying
and difficult to read.  Emacs isn't configured wrong, nor is my
newsreader.  I've just hacked it up a little, though, so it strips
that crap out.  When v19 is available I will probably have the ability
to not only strip it but actually highlight the string which was
intended.  (Actually, I could do that know, but that's another hack.)
I doubt I will, as I generally see the attempts at highlighting being
done in .signatures, where it looks like a stupid, egotistical ploy.

In article <Y#W&R^@rpi.edu> tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:
>                     There is nothing in the RFCs that I have found
>that say a newsreader should be able to understand C-h interpretation
>in the conventional tty manner.

True.  One assumes that articles are NVT-ASCII, and RFC 854 quite
explicitly says you're not *required* to support backspace.  But
the Real World "decided" otherwise.

>                                 Yes, the transports mechanisms
>_allow_ C-h to be passed, but people are really relying on special tty
>handling in order to turn it into something else.

Transports MUST pass Control-H.  They're relying on newsreader
support to render the behavior, which *is* specified if you do
support backspace.

>                                                   Note well that
>there are other, usually better, ways to put a terminal into underline
>mode.  The underscore/C-h/char sequence is just an accepted convention
					 you got it ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^
>that is consistent with teletypes but not with other C-h processing by
>typical terminals, except those like the Tektronix 4014.

It doesn't have to correspond to ANY real world device (RFC
1123).  You are expected to perform any necessary conversions to
or from what is native to your system.  That way the network
representation is terminal-independent.

The ultimate irony is, of course, that GNUS is Japanese.
You're complaining about something as trivial as underlining?
Gimme a break!  Most _gaijin_ would freak out if I posted
something fj.*-style here.  (lurkers: see sci.lang.japan)

					-=EPS=-
I guess you're not reading biz.clarinet... it's happily using
underlining, and as we know, Brad can do no wrong.  :-)

ufa24@dolphin.cs.tu-berlin.de (Unix I (Unix Fuer Anfaenger) Gruppe = ufa24) (01/29/90)

In article <271@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:

   If your newsreader can't display
   _u_n_d_e_r_l_i_n_e_d_ _t_e_x_t
   properly, there's probably something wrong with your newsreader,
   or the way you have it set up.

Not always. I really enjoy reading news with GNU emacs, who's
"gnus" is *much* better than rn, for my opinion. Being an editor, it
will of course display Ctrl-H as "^H" on *any* terminal.

Juergen Nickelsen
"real" address: <nickelsen@mikroperipherik.e-technik.tu-berlin.dbp.de

lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (02/03/90)

In article <UFA24.90Jan28195258@dolphin.cs.tu-berlin.de> ufa24@dolphin.cs.tu-berlin.de (Unix I (Unix Fuer Anfaenger) Gruppe = ufa24) writes:

>Not always. I really enjoy reading news with GNU emacs, who's
>"gnus" is *much* better than rn, for my opinion. Being an editor, it
>will of course display Ctrl-H as "^H" on *any* terminal.

Being emacs, it will allow you to install a hook to remove overstrikes
from the article before displaying it.
--
Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
     {alberta,decwrl}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA

                     UREP: Peru in disguise?

lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Lumsdon) (02/03/90)

In article <271@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <25ba4305.5a74@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>
>        jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:
>>I have setenv TERM vt100 set on my unix environment, and am using PROCOMM
>>on my PC for logging in.  Apparently my newsreader knows how to change
>>the underlines into appropriate escape sequences for a vt100 terminal.
>
>... and on my Zenith-29 screen I see honest-to-goodness
>underlined text.
>
>If your newsreader can't display
>underlined text
>properly, there's probably something wrong with your newsreader,

Not necessarily. ProComm emulates vt102, not vt100 (Procomm 2.4 and
2.4.2, and ProComm Plus 1.1a). The definition of a vt102 terminal says
_don't_ do underlining and bold if there's a color video card; change the
color. When I run ProComm on the secretary's monochrome PC at work I
see underlines; when I run ProComm on my PC at home, I see color changes.

Note that I did not say that the newsreader cannot affect this; only
that it's not the only player in the game.

--------------- My thoughts are my own, not the Navy's ------------------
Esther Lumsdon     lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil    lumsdon%dtrc.arpa
			  David Taylor Research Center, a Navy lab
			  Annapolis Lab  cm 301-267-3816   av 281-3816