[news.newusers.questions] error accessing?

fi038@zeus.unl.edu (Fade to Black) (02/06/90)

HELP!!!!!

This is something that is *really* bothering me.  I don't have any idea why,
but in NEWS, sometimes when I try to read postings it comes up with

ERROR:  CANNOT ACCESS ITEM TEXT

or something to that effect.  Today it blew me over the edge, when I went
to read on my fave group, only 3 out of like 49 items read out.  I was
informed before when I asked about this that the older postings that
got deleted still had titles coming up though they were no longer there.
But these postings were no earlier than Feb. 2, and a couple of them were
even from today!  What is going on?
Thanx in advance!

						Kevin (Fi038),
						  In a night with no end,
						    When the darkness descends,
						      Fade to Black.

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/06/90)

In article <7326.25cd7d22@zeus.unl.edu>,
 fi038@zeus.unl.edu (Fade to Black) writes:
> This is something that is *really* bothering me.  I don't have any idea why,
> but in NEWS, sometimes when I try to read postings it comes up with
>
> ERROR:  CANNOT ACCESS ITEM TEXT

My best guess is that you are running ANU NEWS.  If this is the case,
then this error message indicates that NEWS has added the article to
its database at some time in the past, but now it cannot access the
article text.  You should report the problem to your NEWS manager.
Try sending mail to usenet@zeus.unl.edu.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444