[news.newusers.questions] How to download files from other sites?

finn@mojo.UUCP (Finn Markmanrud) (02/07/90)

Today, I saw an announcement in comp.ibm.pc that a new version of a GIF
viewer was available on SIMTEL. How do I get to this? Is this some kind
of a bulletin board I have to log in to, be a member of, or do I dial out
on my modem, or......
As you can tell, this is new to me. The only files I have gotten of the net
were either mailed to me, or posted in an article.
Pleas point me in the right direction.
Thanks!

While I'm, at it....
How does one get on a mailing list?
What do I do to get a listing of these?
Thanks again!

--
+=====================+========================+=============================+
|   Finn Markmanrud   |   finn@mojo.nec.com    |   "It can't happen here."   |

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (02/09/90)

In article <243@mojo.UUCP> finn@mojo.UUCP (Finn Markmanrud) writes:

>Today, I saw an announcement in comp.ibm.pc that a new version of a GIF
>viewer was available on SIMTEL. How do I get to this? Is this some kind
>of a bulletin board I have to log in to, be a member of, or do I dial out
>on my modem, or......
>As you can tell, this is new to me. The only files I have gotten of the net
>were either mailed to me, or posted in an article.
>Pleas point me in the right direction.
>Thanks!

The right direction: Start by following the comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
newsgroup.  You'll soon find out.  Furthermore, I just posted (two
days ago) a long prerecorded message about getting files by
anonymous ftp in this newsgroup which you are now reading.  Please
scan the messages.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)