[news.newusers.questions] What does 'UNIX' mean ?

kuehnke@uniol.UUCP (Christian Kuehnke) (02/05/90)

I wonder where the name "UNIX" derives from: Is it an abbreviation or
just another unix-like slang-expresion (like troff, awk, etc.) ?

Anybody who knows about it ?
Thanks in advance,
Christian
| Christian Kuehnke   | E-Mail : 249923 @DOLUNI1.BITNET                   |
| Hartenscher Damm 65 | uucp   : kuehnke@uniol.uucp                       |
| 2900 Oldenburg      | InHouse: godot  @faramir                          |

davidg@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (David Guntner) (02/05/90)

From article <1671@uniol.UUCP>, by kuehnke@uniol.UUCP (Christian Kuehnke):
> I wonder where the name "UNIX" derives from: Is it an abbreviation or
> just another unix-like slang-expresion (like troff, awk, etc.) ?

RTFM. :-)  (For those about to whip out the flame-throwers, notice the
            smiley....)

I suggest that you subscribe to news.announce.newusers.  About once every
month a whole series of messages get posted there with all kinds of information
that the new Usenetter should know about, including things like the history
of Usenet and UNIX.  One of the articles contain common questions and their
answers (and I've seen that one in there).
                --Dave

--
        David Guntner  UUCP: {ames, mit-eddie}!attctc!davidg
                       INET: davidg@attctc.Dallas.TX.US  (killer)

cmp8118@sys.uea.ac.uk (D.S. Cartwright) (02/05/90)

kuehnke@uniol.UUCP (Christian Kuehnke) writes:

>I wonder where the name "UNIX" derives from: Is it an abbreviation or
>just another unix-like slang-expresion (like troff, awk, etc.) ?

Here we go ...

	After Bell withdrew from Multics (a joint O.S. research thingy with
loads of other people like General Electric) some of the members of the group
decided they wanted a 'new computing environment' (to quote Paul Wang, in his
jolly spiffing book "An Introduction to Berkeley UNIX"), and so off they went
and developed UNIX, naming it thus apparently as a pun on 'MULTICS'.

	I hope that's right, but don't quote me on it ....

	Dave Cartwright, UEA, Norwich, ENGLAND.

wct1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William C Tom) (02/08/90)

<From article <1671@uniol.UUCP<, by kuehnke@uniol.UUCP (Christian Kuehnke):
<
<RTFM. :-)  (For those about to whip out the flame-throwers, notice the
<            smiley....)
<
<I suggest that you subscribe to news.announce.newusers.  About once every
<month a whole series of messages get posted there with all kinds of information
<that the new Usenetter should know about, including things like the history
<of Usenet and UNIX.  One of the articles contain common questions and their
<answers (and I've seen that one in there).
<                --Dave

I am fairly new to the usenet. Yes, I have read news.announce.newusers, but unlike some of you guys, I have not been able to memorize all the items.
It seems that on this present newsgroup, questions from virgin netters
are frequently greeted with "RTFM".  The above response is typical,
smiley-face not withstanding.  If you are bother to answer, why not
give the f**king answer , and then recommend RTFM (knowing, superior
smile on your face, no doubt).  If you know it all but would rather not
tell, then get off this newsgroup.

-----------------Bill

davidg@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (David Guntner) (02/08/90)

From article <22187@unix.cis.pitt.edu}, by wct1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William C Tom):
}
} In article <11321@attctc.Dallas.TX.US< davidg@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (David Guntner) writes:
} <From article <1671@uniol.UUCP<, by kuehnke@uniol.UUCP (Christian Kuehnke):
} << I wonder where the name "UNIX" derives from: Is it an abbreviation or
} << just another unix-like slang-expresion (like troff, awk, etc.) ?
} <
[...]

If your feelings are THAT touchy, then get off of Usenet altogether.  You'll
never survive.

No one can memorize all the items, true.  That's why it's a good idea to
save the articles for future reference in your home directory, and then you
can simply look it up.

Granted, vetran Usenetters fairly typically answer with "RTFM" (with or
without smileys), because SO MANY new users simply don't bother to do
so (or even know that it's there (or where to look...) -- that's why I
followed it up with information on where to look).  It's been a while, but
I believe the questions-and-answers article I mentioned even says at the
beginning of it that it's purpose was in part to help stop the proliferation
of the exact same (common) questions popping up over and over again.
                           --Dave

--
        David Guntner  UUCP: {ames, mit-eddie}!attctc!davidg
                       INET: davidg@attctc.Dallas.TX.US  (killer)
"...New ship, but she's got the right name. ...Treat     --Admiral L. McCoy
 her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home."   "Encounter at Farpoint"

wct1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William C Tom) (02/09/90)

In article <11369@attctc.Dallas.TX.US< davidg@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (David Guntner) writes:
<From article <22187@unix.cis.pitt.edu}, by wct1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William C Tom):
<}
<} In article <11321@attctc.Dallas.TX.US< davidg@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (David Guntner) writes:
<} <From article <1671@uniol.UUCP<, by kuehnke@uniol.UUCP (Christian Kuehnke):
<} << I wonder where the name "UNIX" derives from: Is it an abbreviation or
<} << just another unix-like slang-expresion (like troff, awk, etc.) ?
<} <
[...]
<--
My point was that you could have given the answer AND refer the poster on to
news.announce.newusers.  In fact, another, much more helpful, poster gave
the answer to "what is UNIX" shortly after your reply.  If you and your ilk
find the simple questions too elementary for your consideration, don't clutter
up the network with vapid asininities.

As for my survival on Usenet, I'm doing quite well; thank you for your concern.  What I *will* avoid from now on, however, is this newsgroup, which seems to
contain more than its share of smug users who seem to think that they are part
 of some hackers'gnosis.

          			------Bill

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (02/14/90)

In article <22187@unix.cis.pitt.edu> wct1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William C Tom) writes:
>I am fairly new to the usenet. Yes, I have read news.announce.newusers,
>but unlike some of you guys, I have not been able to memorize all the items.

It's not NECESSARY to memorize them.  The articles don't vanish into
electron smoke after you read them.  If you forget something, go back
and read them again to refresh your memory.  If you can't find the
answer ANYWHERE offline, then post a question to the net.

>It seems that on this present newsgroup, questions from virgin netters
>are frequently greeted with "RTFM".

The principle is that it's cheaper and kinder to your fellow
net.creatures to do your homework FIRST and exhaust the available
offline (human, electronic and paper) resources before expending the
precious net resource.

This is hard for some to accept, but well worth teaching here.  It elicits
the odd flame war from reluctant pupils, but that's instructive too.  :-)

es@sinix.UUCP (Dr. Sanio) (02/14/90)

In article <11369@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> davidg@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (David Guntner) writes:
>From article <22187@unix.cis.pitt.edu}, by wct1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William C Tom):
>}
>} I am fairly new to the usenet. Yes, I have read news.announce.newusers, but
>} unlike some of you guys, I have not been able to memorize all the items.
>} It seems that on this present newsgroup, questions from virgin netters
>} are frequently greeted with "RTFM".  The above response is typical,
>
>If your feelings are THAT touchy, then get off of Usenet altogether.  You'll
>never survive.
>
>Granted, vetran Usenetters fairly typically answer with "RTFM" (with or
>without smileys), because SO MANY new users simply don't bother to do
>so (or even know that it's there (or where to look...) -- that's why I
>followed it up with information on where to look).  It's been a while, but
>I believe the questions-and-answers article I mentioned even says at the
>beginning of it that it's purpose was in part to help stop the proliferation
>of the exact same (common) questions popping up over and over again.
>                           --Dave

PEACE !!!
I believe that simply giving either the answer, advising to get it from a
site or subnet close by (maybe by email) or suggesting that a neighbouring site
emails the article(s) mentioned would have saved a lot of bandwidth.

Further on, many net virgins may even not know the meaning of RTFM (read the
f*cking manual - as I remember) - that may contribute to their frustration,
additionally.

The most harmful effect of such a style - which at least sounds  arrogant,
if it isn't - is that newcomers may stop reading this group and mess around
in the whole net. If the same questions had been posted into, say comp.unix.
wizards, I possibly would flame, too.

Tolerance towards newcomers is an important issue of this group, which may help
them to use the net's facilities more carefully. The freedom to do mistakes
must be granted, here. Otherwise, the mistakes will be done elsewhere, e.g.
posting into inappropriate distributions, multiple postings vs. crosspostings
and all the shit occurring everyday.

In summary, I regard inappropriate arrogance in this group, which has the
explicit issue to welcome, train and educate newcomers at least equally
unwise as an unappropriate or silly question. And it's harder to me to
forgive when experienced user are doing it.

>        David Guntner  UUCP: {ames, mit-eddie}!attctc!davidg
regards, es