[news.newusers.questions] Is there a net geographical index?

packer@chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov (Charles Packer) (02/04/90)

Is there an index somewhere that identifies the geographical
location and organization of each Usenet site sorted by
net address? For example, for my site I would look up
"gsfc.nasa.gov" and find Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt,
Maryland, USA.

packer@chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov (Charles Packer) (02/06/90)

Two people sent me e-mail suggesting I look in comp.mail.maps for
this index.  The raw data seems to be there to construct an index,
but it there is no index there already. Eric Scott suggested by
e-mail that uunet or rutgers could provide one (via anonymous ftp,
I assume), since they maintain the data bases.  I agree, it would be
nice if they would provide it.

mcb@presto.IG.COM (Michael C. Berch) (02/06/90)

In the referenced article, packer@chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov
(Charles Packer) writes:
> Is there an index somewhere that identifies the geographical
> location and organization of each Usenet site sorted by
> net address? For example, for my site I would look up
> "gsfc.nasa.gov" and find Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt,
> Maryland, USA.

If you are on the Internet, you have access to the "whois" database
maintained by the DDN Network Information Center on the system
nic.ddn.mil.   There are two ways to access it: if your system
supports the "whois" command (BSD and SunOS, at least), just type

	% whois <blurf>

where <blurf> can be a host name, domain name, personal name, mailbox
name, or whatever.

If you don't have this, telnet to nic.ddn.mil, and at the TOP-20
prompt (you don't have to log in) type "whois" and you'll get the same
information.

For some reason gsfc.nasa.gov isn't indexed in this database (3rd
level domains often aren't), but here's the info for (example) the
host dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov:

	% whois dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov
	Nasa Goddard Space Flight Center (DFTSRV)

	   Hostname: DFTSRV.GSFC.NASA.GOV
	   Address: 128.183.10.134
	   System: SUN/3 running ?

	   Coordinator:
	      Jha, Ashok  (AJ29)  jha@DFTNIC.GSFC.NASA.GOV
	      (301) 286-9423

	   domain server

	   Record last updated on 22-Jun-89.

	   There is one registered user:

	Corsetti, Tom (TC112)           tomc@DFTSRV.GSFC.NASA.GOV       (301)
	286-2188

	To single out one record, look it up with "!xxx", where xxx is the
	handle, shown in parenthesis following the name, which comes first.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@presto.ig.com / uunet!presto.ig.com!mcb / ames!bionet!mcb

tinkelman@ccavax.camb.com (02/07/90)

In article <Feb.5.16.33.15.1990.10077@presto.IG.COM>, mcb@presto.IG.COM
(Michael C. Berch) mentioned the whois service and gave directions on
accessing it via the `whois' command and via `telnet'.

You can also access the service using mail.  This is of use to uucp
sites (and possibly bitnet sites?) off the Internet.  I sent mail to
service@nic.ddn.mil with no text lines and with the subject

	Subj:	whois domain camb.com

and received back the mail attached after my signature.
--
Bob Tinkelman, Cambridge Computer Associates, Inc., 212-425-5830
bob@ccavax.camb.com  or ...!uunet!ccavax!bob

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 90 04:03:04 PST
From: "SRI-NIC Mail Service 2.4(319)-1" <uunet!NIC.DDN.MIL!SERVICE-REPLY>
To: Bob Tinkelman <TINKELMAN@ccavax.camb.com>
Subject: re: whois domain camb.com

Cambridge Computer Associates, Inc. (CAMB-DOM)
   56 Beaver Street, 3rd Floor
          New York, NY 10004

   Domain Name: CAMB.COM

   Administrative Contact:
      Tinkelman, Robert P.  (RPT8)  TINKLEMAN@CCAVAX.CAMB.COM
      (212) 425-5830
   Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Glassmann, Lenny  (LG96)  GLASSMANN@CCAVAX.CAMB.COM
      (212) 425-5830

   Domain servers in listed order:

   UUNET.UU.NET			192.48.96.2
   seismo.CSS.GOV		192.12.141.25

   No known hosts under this secondary domain.

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (02/15/90)

In article <Feb.5.16.33.15.1990.10077@presto.IG.COM> mcb@presto.IG.COM (Michael C. Berch) writes:
>In the referenced article, packer@chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov
>(Charles Packer) writes:
>> Is there an index somewhere that identifies the geographical
>> location and organization of each Usenet site sorted by
>> net address? For example, for my site I would look up
>> "gsfc.nasa.gov" and find Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt,
>> Maryland, USA.
>
>If you are on the Internet, you have access to the "whois" database
>maintained by the DDN Network Information Center on the system
>nic.ddn.mil.   There are two ways to access it: if your system
>supports the "whois" command (BSD and SunOS, at least), just type
>
>	% whois <blurf>
>
>where <blurf> can be a host name, domain name, personal name, mailbox
>name, or whatever.
>
>If you don't have this, telnet to nic.ddn.mil, and at the TOP-20
>prompt (you don't have to log in) type "whois" and you'll get the same
>information.

...which happens to be down at the moment. :(  However, DEC came out and
replaced the bad drive, so it should be up by Thursday (2/15) morning.

[...]

>	To single out one record, look it up with "!xxx", where xxx is the
>	handle, shown in parenthesis following the name, which comes first.

You can also ask for help; it's fairly comprehensive.

Another interesting utility is 'nslookup', if your system has it.  It will
give you the I-net number for the given host...

% nslookup apple.com

Server:  NISC.SRI.COM
Address:  192.33.33.51

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    apple.com
Address:  130.43.2.2

%

>Michael C. Berch
>mcb@presto.ig.com / uunet!presto.ig.com!mcb / ames!bionet!mcb

--Chan
  Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <or> radius!cwilson@apple.com
Janitor/Architect of comp.binaries.apple2 archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu
	      I don't speak for SRI, someone else does.