[news.newusers.questions] newsgroup access

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (02/17/90)

[In article <2727@pbhye.PacBell.COM>,
     rwf@PacBell.COM (Roy Fontes) writes ... ]

> Is this Newsgroup accessable from home terminals if you
> are unemployed or retired?? If so how do you access and
> is there any cost involved.   Thanks in advance

This is a good general-interest question, so I'm responding here instead
of sending email.

* Call a BBS that carries them. There are many privately operated bulletin
board systems that carry various subsets of Usenet. A monthly "Nixpub"
list of such BBSes is posted in the pubnet.nixpub newsgroup. If you don't
have access to that, send me email and I'll dig up a recent copy for you.
Some of these BBSes are free; some ask for contributions or charge fees.

* Call a commercial service that carries them. The two that I know of are
Portal System (Cupertino, Calif.), and Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link (San
Francisco, I think). Both of these are accessible on Telenet; you type
"connect portal" or "connect well". Both charge monthly fees in the $10 to
$20 range plus telecom expenses. I read an article in the New York Times
about a similar system that was going up on the East Coast, but I don't
recall details.

* Wheedle a guest account on a business or university system that carries
them. (Good luck there!)

* Set up your own node. This is not necessarily expensive. Free
UUCP-compatible mail and news software is available for most contemporary
personal computers. I run such a system on my Atari ST (1 meg RAM, hard
drive) and currently receive 33 newsgroups, some of which I forward to a
local BBS. (All this works automatically, on my voice line, while I
sleep.) The comp.mail.uucp newsgroup currently has an ongoing discussion
of PC-based email packages. You also could inquire in the comp.sys.*
newsgroup for your particular machine. To obtain a feed, contact your
local Unix users organization, universities, and corporations.

--
   Steve Yelvington at the (snow-covered) lake in Minnesota

rwf@PacBell.COM (Roy Fontes) (02/17/90)

In article <A1404507216@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org
	(Steve Yelvington) writes:
>* Call a commercial service that carries them. The two that I know of are
>Portal System (Cupertino, Calif.), and Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link (San
>Francisco, I think). Both of these are accessible on Telenet; you type
>"connect portal" or "connect well". Both charge monthly fees in the $10 to
>$20 range plus telecom expenses.

Your information on Portal is more or less accurate.

WELL is in Sausalito, CA, and is accessible through Compu$erve's
packet network (not Telenet).  They charge per-hour in addition
to a monthly fee and telecom costs.  There are less expensive
places to read usenet; WELL's main attraction is its local
conferences available nowhere else.  (But if you're used to
blowing big bucks on BIX, Compuserve, Delphi, GEnie, et al., WELL
is a bargain.)

					-=EPS=-

randy@polecat.llnl.gov (Randy Futor) (02/22/90)

eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:

>WELL is in Sausalito, CA, and is accessible through Compu$erve's packet
>network (not Telenet).
Not entirely true, Eric.  I login to the WELL via Telenet's PC Pursuit ser-
vice 2 or 3 times a week.  ( I *would* like to see 2400baud access in more
than a mere "7 major cities" in the US, but Time may be on my side in this. )

>There are less expensive places to read usenet . . .
This is quite true!  I use my rig at work & drive the cost ( to *me*!! ;-)
right down to zero.

>the WELL's main attraction is its local conferences available nowhere else.
& the user community involved therein!  Though your mileage will probably
vary considerably, *I* think there are some excellent minds on that box &
I like knowing they're there & accessible to me.

 -- randy@polecat.llnl.gov                  futor@ocfmail.ocf.llnl.gov