[news.newusers.questions] old news

jice@echo.esd.sgi.com (John Eisenman) (02/16/90)

Before asking a question on a news group, I would like to look through the
old news to see if it has been answered before.  How can I access older news
articles that have expired at my site?

--
John Eisenman (jice)	phone x1551	mail  1L-920

ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu (Christopher Davis) (02/19/90)

 > Before asking a question on a news group, I would like to look through the
 > old news to see if it has been answered before.  How can I access older news
 > articles that have expired at my site?

Well, first you get a DeLorean.  Then you build a time machine out of it...

:-)

Unfortunately, there really isn't a way to look through expired articles on
*most* groups.  Many moderated groups (for example, comp.risks) have
archives of all the back articles available for ftp somewhere, or you can
ask someone on a site with a longer expire time (if you know someone who's
willing to help out).

I'd recommend looking through the postings that *haven't* expired and, if
you don't see it discussed there (but are fairly sure that you're in the
right group for your topic) either ask on the net, or ask someone who is
one of the "authorities" on that group.

Now, I'd like to thank you for being concerned enough to want to know if
something's been discussed before before you post asking about it.

--Chris
--
  Christopher Davis, BU SMG '90  <ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu> <smghy6c@buacca.bitnet>
		 NETWORK PLANNING CONSTRAINT OF THE MONTH:

jskelly@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jim Kelly) (02/19/90)

John Eisenman:
>How can I access older news articles that have expired at my site?

Christopher Davis:
>There isn't a way to look through expired articles on most groups.

I've wondered about this question for two years, and this is the
answer I was expecting.  Why does the news take pains to give articles
unique ID numbers and keep a "References:" line if the articles can't
be retrieved?

--
| jskelly@phoenix.princeton.edu              gr.kelly%pupcyc@princeton.edu |
| "A fanatic is a man who does what he thinks the Lord would do if He knew |

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (02/19/90)

[In article <13956@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>,
     jskelly@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jim Kelly) writes ... ]

> John Eisenman:
>>How can I access older news articles that have expired at my site?
>
> Christopher Davis:
>>There isn't a way to look through expired articles on most groups.
>
> I've wondered about this question for two years, and this is the
> answer I was expecting.

Of course. You can't drink a Coca-Cola after the can's been recycled.

> Why does the news take pains to give articles
> unique ID numbers and keep a "References:" line if the articles can't
> be retrieved?

The time it takes for a message to expire on any given system depends on
how the system is set up. Some keep messages longer than others.

In addition to providing data for the References: field, the unique
Message-ID enables rnews to throw away duplicate messages.  Duplicates
sometimes show up if there are loops in the network or if crossposted
messages arrive from two directions.

For example, a friend of mine gets a graphics newsgroup from
midgard.mn.org and comp.sys.atari.st from stag.UUCP. If a message is
posted to both groups, he may receive it from stag on Wednesday and from
midgard on Thursday. Since the message bears a unique serial number, rnews
can recognize this (by keeping a history file) and throw out the
duplicate.

--
   Steve Yelvington at the (thin ice today*) lake in Minnesota
   UUCP path: ... umn-cs.cs.umn.edu!thelake!steve

   *16 cars through the ice so far this year! Yes, you, too, can
    have that sinking feeling....

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (02/19/90)

In <13956@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> jskelly@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jim Kelly):
> Why does the news take pains to give articles unique ID numbers

So sites don't get multiple copies of the same article.  Any site that
is fed by more than one other would run the risk otherwise.

> and keep a "References:" line if the articles can't be retrieved?

They can be, just not forever.  We expire most news articles after
they have been around here for two weeks.  The three articles in
the References: line of this message are still quite fresh on our
system and I can get to them very easily through my newsreader.

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (02/20/90)

In article <13956@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> (Jim Kelly) writes:
>John Eisenman:
>>How can I access older news articles that have expired at my site?
>
>Christopher Davis:
>>There isn't a way to look through expired articles on most groups.
>
>I've wondered about this question for two years, and this is the
>answer I was expecting.  Why does the news take pains to give articles
>unique ID numbers and keep a "References:" line if the articles can't
>be retrieved?

Actually you can generally archive them yourself on your own system but
better have plenty of disk space.  Those messages have to be kept somewhere
if you are going to retrieve them.  News programs are specifically written
to allow expiry of articles so that you don't choke your memory.  Consider
that news is sending 3 to 8 megabytes a day to your system.  Do you really
want to store that forever?  If you have 500 megabytes to spare you can
keep a few months worth of news.

The purpose of unique numbers is to prevent having the same message show
up more than once on your system and be presented as a new message.  Many
sites get multiple feeds to guarantee a full, uninterruptable news feed
and without unique numbers each copy of an article would be added to the
news data base.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.

tbetz@upaya.lilink.COM (Tom Betz) (02/22/90)

Quoth darcy@druid.UUCP (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) in <1990Feb19.160606.9002@druid.uucp>:
|In article <13956@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> (Jim Kelly) writes:
|>John Eisenman:
|>>How can I access older news articles that have expired at my site?
|>
|>Christopher Davis:
|>>There isn't a way to look through expired articles on most groups.
|>
|>I've wondered about this question for two years, and this is the
|>answer I was expecting.  Why does the news take pains to give articles
|>unique ID numbers and keep a "References:" line if the articles can't
|>be retrieved?
|>
|Actually you can generally archive them yourself on your own system but
|better have plenty of disk space.  Those messages have to be kept somewhere
|if you are going to retrieve them.  News programs are specifically written
|to allow expiry of articles so that you don't choke your memory.  Consider
|that news is sending 3 to 8 megabytes a day to your system.

This leads me to ask a question I've been wondering about for
some time.

What site participating in the Usenet has the longest expiration
/ biggest /usr/spool/news disk?

Could those who think they might be contenders please email me
with the appropriate statistics and I'll compile a list of the
top ten or twenty or so and post it here... or if someone (like
uunet) has such a list already compiled, could you please mail
it to me?

I'd be very interested to see if anyone is keeping messages
longer than the Expires: field calls for.  It I have infinite
space someday, I'd like to keep several years' worth of news around.

Just for the heck of it...

--
"I don't run - I tend to black my eyes." - D.Parton | hombre!marob!upaya!tbetz