[news.newusers.questions] rn and more

gomer@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Richard J Coyle) (02/19/90)

Today when I started to read the news with rn, a funny thing
happened.  For each article that came up, only the header came
out on the screen, followed by a "more" type line with a percentage
of the article remaining.  Usually I get an entire screen full of
print with this "more" line at the bottom, but now its appearing at
about halfway down the page.  Why did this happen all of a sudden?
It's very annoying.  Thanks in advance.

                                      rick

wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr) (02/20/90)

In article <22418@unix.cis.pitt.edu> (in news.newusers.questions),
gomer@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Richard J Coyle) said:

> For each article that came up, only the header came
> out on the screen, followed by a "more" type line with a percentage
> of the article remaining.  Usually I get an entire screen full of
> print with this "more" line at the bottom, but now its appearing at
> about halfway down the page.  Why did this happen all of a sudden?

Are you now accessing your machine at a different, slower baud rate?

The reason I ask is that there's a somewhat obscure switch mentioned
in the RN documentation:

>  -i=<number>
>     specifies how long (in lines) to consider the initial
>     page of an article--normally this is determined
>     automatically depending on baud rate.  (Note that an
>     entire article header will always be printed regardless
>     of the specified initial page length.  If you are work-
>     ing at low baud rate and wish to reduce the size of the
>     headers, you may hide certain header lines with the -h
>     switch.)

I'm not sure what the break point is, the baud rate at or below which
RN decideds to do you the favor of only displaying headers instead of
the first full page.  I think it's either 2400 or 1200.  In any event,
I think you can overpower it by invoking RN with an argument of -i=22
or something similar.  (And, of course, you can also do it by setting
the RNINIT environment variable in something like the folowing manner:

	setenv RNINIT '-i=22'

before invoking RN.)

----
William December Starr <wdstarr@athena.mit.edu>

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (02/23/90)

In article <22418@unix.cis.pitt.edu> gomer@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Richard J Coyle) writes:

|Today when I started to read the news with rn, a funny thing
|happened.  For each article that came up, only the header came
|out on the screen, followed by a "more" type line with a percentage
|of the article remaining.  Usually I get an entire screen full of
|print with this "more" line at the bottom, but now its appearing at
|about halfway down the page.  Why did this happen all of a sudden?
|It's very annoying.  Thanks in advance.

	Something has munged the baud rate associated
	with your console. "rn" looks to see what the
	stty values are in order to decide some stuff
	about how to display; if the baud rate is too
	low it will perform as you indicate.

	Do a "stty -a", or "stty everything" to check
	the parameters, and then for a console, reset
	the baud rate to at least 9600. If the rate's
	already at or above that value, then hmmmm...

Cheers,
--
  (__)	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
w \@@/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu