[news.newusers.questions] Converting UUCP addresses to Usenet format

wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr) (02/27/90)

Yeah, I know this has been covered here before, and I know I've been a
bad boy for not copying down the info when I had the chance...

I have no success sending mail from my site to people with UUCP
addresses.  How can I automatically or manually convert a UUCP address
like

	foo@faber.UUCP

to a Usenet-compatible address like

	foo@blutarsky.faber.edu

Please conserve bandwidth by responding via email.  Thanks.
--

William December Starr <wdstarr@athena.mit.edu>

akf@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Jay Hinkelman) (02/27/90)

In article <1990Feb26.163457.7879@athena.mit.edu> wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr) writes:
>I have no success sending mail from my site to people with UUCP
>addresses.  How can I automatically or manually convert a UUCP address
>like foo@faber.UUCP to a Usenet-compatible address like
>foo@blutarsky.faber.edu?

Would whoever sends out this info send it to me as well?

	      Jay Hinkelman akf@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
--
				 Jay Hinkelman, akf@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
"Catch ya later, Bill and Ted!"	     -- Bill and Ted

In article <1990Feb26.163457.7879@athena.mit.edu>
	wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr) writes:
>            How can I automatically or manually convert a UUCP address

>to a Usenet-compatible address like

There is NO SUCH THING as a "usenet-compatible address."
It has NO MEANING.  Usenet does ONE THING and ONE THING ONLY:
it exchanges Network News.  It does not handle electronic mail,
it never did handle electronic mail, and it never will handle
electronic mail.  *NO INDIVIDUALS* have "usenet addresses"--
the smallest granularity is an entire machine.  Usenet is 100%
dependent on some other network(s) to handle electronic mail.
Most newsposters are well-behaved enough to put e-mail addresses
in article headers, but these ARE NOT "usenet addresses."

What you are really asking is how to convert a registered UUCP
address to a fully-qualified domain name.  There is no general
solution to this problem.  Most sites deal with uucp mail by
collecting the many, many megabytes posted to comp.mail.maps
and attempting to divine connectivity from them, or soliciting
the services of a site that does.  In some cases it even works
optimally.

					-=EPS=-

jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (02/28/90)

In article <334@toaster.SFSU.EDU>, eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>What you are really asking is how to convert a registered UUCP
>address to a fully-qualified domain name.  There is no general
>solution to this problem.  Most sites deal with uucp mail by
>collecting the many, many megabytes posted to comp.mail.maps
>and attempting to divine connectivity from them, or soliciting
>the services of a site that does.  In some cases it even works
>optimally.

     OK, here's a dumb question.  I'm a sysop on a small system.  I need to
establish connectivity with UUCP sites.  I've looked at the stuff in
comp.mail.maps; it's all but undecipherable.  What's more, I probably don't
have the space on my system for "many, many megabytes".  So, I would need
to "solicit the services of a site that does" when it comes to sending mail
to uucp sites.

     How do I find one?

| John Price                   | Internet: jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu |
| 5-145 Knudsen Hall           | BITNET:   price@uclaph                   |
| UCLA Dept. of Physics        | DECnet:   uclapp::jprice                 |
| Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | YellNet:  213-825-2259                   |