[news.newusers.questions] addgroup won't alert users of new group

dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) (11/09/90)

I created a new group to be used just within my department using the
command 'addgroup ispd.general y'.  The group was created properly, but
no one is alerted to the fact that the group was created when they
call up rn.  Whenever a new group is established on the net I am
questioned whether or not I want to subscribe to it, why wasn't I
asked for the local group?

I am running the latest version of C News on a Sun4/260 running SunOS4.0.3.

Thanks.
--

                  Don Cox
Phone (716) 253-7121      KMX (716) 253-7998

nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Ron Nash) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov9.004641.17111@ssd.kodak.com> dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) writes:
>I created a new group to be used just within my department using the
>command 'addgroup ispd.general y'.  The group was created properly, but
>no one is alerted to the fact that the group was created when they
>call up rn.  Whenever a new group is established on the net I am
>questioned whether or not I want to subscribe to it, why wasn't I
>asked for the local group?

Don,
	I have had this happen as well when I forget to "su news" before
doing an addgroup.  If you addgroup as root, the resultant directory in
/usr/spool/news is not owned by news (or whatever username you set news
to run as).  If you change ispd and ispd/general to be owned by news
and touch the active file, users should be asked to subscribe to it.

--
Ron Nash
San Diego State University

dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) (11/11/90)

>>I created a new group to be used just within my department using the
>>command 'addgroup ispd.general y'.  The group was created properly, but
>>no one is alerted to the fact that the group was created when they
>>call up rn.  Whenever a new group is established on the net I am
>>questioned whether or not I want to subscribe to it, why wasn't I
>>asked for the local group?

<	I have had this happen as well when I forget to "su news" before
<doing an addgroup.  If you addgroup as root, the resultant directory in
</usr/spool/news is not owned by news (or whatever username you set news
<to run as).  If you change ispd and ispd/general to be owned by news
<and touch the active file, users should be asked to subscribe to it.
<--
<Ron Nash

I did su - news before executing the addgroup command.  The newsgroup
it formed was owned by news, with 775 as the permissions (same as
all the rest of the newsgroups).  The entry also appeared at the end of
the active file, and had the same format as all the other entries.

--

                  Don Cox
Phone (716) 253-7121      KMX (716) 253-7998
INTERNET    dcox@ssd.kodak.com

A nice idea, I think, would be for inews/relaynews to crosspost all
newgroup control messages to a group called "newgroups", local to each
machine.   (Or to avoid problems with people posting here, newgroups.site)

Then, as long as group creators take the time to put some valid text in
the newgroup message describing the group, etc., then users need merely
read (or not read) this group.

No convoluted code in the reader to figure out what groups are new, etc.

I hate blank newgroup messages anyway.  I would much rather that those who
create groups at least put in stuff like, "per the vote nnn to yyy" or
something useful.

gary@proa.sv.dg.com (Gary Bridgewater) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov11.003839.15910@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>A nice idea, I think, would be for inews/relaynews to crosspost all
>newgroup control messages to a group called "newgroups", local to each
>machine.   (Or to avoid problems with people posting here, newgroups.site)

But all the control messages _are_ posted to group "control".  It only takes
a line or so in the KILL file to eliminate the various flavors of cancel,
rmgroups and checkgroups and you are left with just the newgroups.
These can be tedious when some new site "announces" itself in the usual
way but you will see everything.  Does C news not have a control group?
--
Gary Bridgewater, Data General Corporation, Sunnyvale California
gary@sv.dg.com or {amdahl,aeras,amdcad}!dgcad!gary

bussiere@DMI.USherb.CA (Luc Bussieres) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov9.180851.28835@ucselx.sdsu.edu> nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Ron Nash) writes:
>In article <1990Nov9.004641.17111@ssd.kodak.com> dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) writes:
>>I created a new group to be used just within my department using the
>>command 'addgroup ispd.general y'.  The group was created properly, but
>>no one is alerted to the fact that the group was created when they
>>call up rn.  Whenever a new group is established on the net I am
>>questioned whether or not I want to subscribe to it, why wasn't I
>>asked for the local group?
>
>Don,
>	I have had this happen as well when I forget to "su news" before
>doing an addgroup.  If you addgroup as root, the resultant directory in
>/usr/spool/news is not owned by news (or whatever username you set news
>to run as).  If you change ispd and ispd/general to be owned by news
>and touch the active file, users should be asked to subscribe to it.

	I have the same problem here, and I always "su news" before doing and
addgroup. Even the general newsgroups that have not been created remotly, I
create them manually with the addgroup command but no user are notify that a
newgroup has been created. I just did it for alt.books.technical and there is
some articles post to it, but nobody knows that this newsgroup exist.

--
Luc Bussieres ---- Analyste - Dep. de Mathematiques et Informatique
Universite de Sherbrooke

dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov12.131707.14679@DMI.USherb.CA> bussiere@DMI.USherb.CA (Luc Bussieres) writes:

>	I have the same problem here, and I always "su news" before doing and
>addgroup. Even the general newsgroups that have not been created remotely, I
>create them manually with the addgroup command but no user are notify that a
>newgroup has been created.

I was informed of a patch for rn (#48) that just became available, and one
of the problems that it was suppose to correct is failure to notify users
of newly formed local groups.  I obtained the patch, installed it, and
ran the new rn.  I then su'd to news and created another new local group
using addgroup.  I then ran the new 'rn', but got the same results.  I
was alerted to the fact that new newsgroups had been created on the net,
but nothing as far as the local newsgroup I had just created.  Am I
doing something wrong?

Thanks.
--

                  Don Cox
Phone (716) 253-7121      KMX (716) 253-7998
INTERNET    dcox@ssd.kodak.com

In article <1990Nov9.004641.17111@ssd.kodak.com> dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) writes:
>...'addgroup ispd.general y'.  The group was created properly, but
>no one is alerted to the fact that the group was created when they
>call up rn.  Whenever a new group is established on the net I am
>questioned whether or not I want to subscribe to it, why wasn't I
>asked for the local group?

Possibly because there are no articles in it yet?  Rn may consider
that, not the creation of the group, to be the time when it should ask.
--
"I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Not to worry."                        |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

In article <658398581.5234@proa.sv.dg.com> gary@proa.sv.dg.com (Gary Bridgewater) writes:
>...  Does C news not have a control group?

It does.
--

dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov13.032634.9289@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>Possibly because there are no articles in it yet?  Rn may consider
>that, not the creation of the group, to be the time when it should ask.

You're absolutely right!  After I posted an article to the newly formed
newsgroup I was asked if I wanted to subscribe to it (using rn with
patch #48) the next time I called up rn.  Thanks to those who e-mailed
me with the same answer.
--

tronix@polari.UUCP (David Daniel) (11/14/90)

[]>...'addgroup ispd.general y'.  The group was created properly, but
[]>no one is alerted to the fact that the group was created when they

[]Possibly because there are no articles in it yet?  Rn may consider
[]that, not the creation of the group, to be the time when it should ask.

I don't think so. I'm ususally asked by rn (running here under SCO Xenix)
several times a week if I want to subscribe to such stellar groups as
alt.edward.teller.BOOM.BOOM.BOOM and alt.foo.bar, etc.
I'm sure there aren't any articles in those. Also I've subscribed to real
newsgroups before that had no articles in them for weeks.
--
David Daniel (The man with no disclaimer)  tronix@polari.UUCP
"Beware the Truth. If you find a Truth it can demand that you make painful

jeffl@berick.uucp (Jeff Lawhorn) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov12.131707.14679@DMI.USherb.CA> bussiere@DMI.USherb.CA (Luc Bussieres) writes:

   In article <1990Nov9.180851.28835@ucselx.sdsu.edu> nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Ron Nash) writes:
   >In article <1990Nov9.004641.17111@ssd.kodak.com> dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) writes:
   >>I created a new group to be used just within my department using the
   >>command 'addgroup ispd.general y'.  The group was created properly, but
   >>no one is alerted to the fact that the group was created when they
   >>call up rn.  Whenever a new group is established on the net I am
   >>questioned whether or not I want to subscribe to it, why wasn't I
   >>asked for the local group?
   >
   >Don,
   >	I have had this happen as well when I forget to "su news" before
   >doing an addgroup.  If you addgroup as root, the resultant directory in
   >/usr/spool/news is not owned by news (or whatever username you set news
   >to run as).  If you change ispd and ispd/general to be owned by news
   >and touch the active file, users should be asked to subscribe to it.

       I have the same problem here, and I always "su news" before doing and
  addgroup. Even the general newsgroups that have not been created remotly, I
  create them manually with the addgroup command but no user are notify that a
  newgroup has been created. I just did it for alt.books.technical and there is
  some articles post to it, but nobody knows that this newsgroup exist.

FYI:  most news readers will not notify users of new news groups
untill an article shows up in the group.  Try posting an article
with a local distribution to the group and I'll bet that you'll
be informed of the new group.

Should government be as large as needed to get the job done,
or as small as possible and still get the job done?

Jeff Lawhorn			jeffl@berick.uucp
berick!jeffl@sdsu.edu		...!ucsd!sdsu!berick!jeffl