[news.newusers.questions] Quoting and followups

dmckeon@hydra.unm.edu (Denis McKeon) (01/26/91)

For anyone using or writing newsposters or citation software - please consider
using a citation style which easily allows skipping ALL the included quotes &
getting to the NEW material in the posting. (The reader can scroll back to
review the discussion if need be.)

This is especially aimed at people who quote groups of short paragraphs as:

>graf1 line1
>graf1 line2
	    note that this (really blank) included line is not preceded by '>'
>graf2 line1
>graf2 line2

I don't know about newsreaders other than readnews & rn, but using the TAB
key in 'rn' will skip all lines that begin with the character that the current
line begins with.  Thus, a series of inclusions like:

>>> Rob's response
>> Jane's rejoinder
> Chris' correction

can be skipped all at once.  But included material like graf1 & graf2 above
bollixes this behavior by leaving out the '>' on otherwise blank lines,
leaving the reader doing multiple TABs instead of a single TAB.
(or, in this reader's case, 'j' works nicely.)

For users of supercite, or equivalent software, please consider a style like:

>Joe 	blah, blah
>
>Tom	blah, blah
>
>Jane 	blah, blah

instead of:

Joe >	blah, blah

Tom >	blah, blah

Jane >	blah, blah

I realize that my desire to skip included material conflicts with
point-by-point responses like:

>pi equals 3.0
no, it doesn't.
>the earth is flat
no, it is round.

In case it isn't obvious, I feel that including material from previous
articles is usually redundant for people using newsreaders that do any
thread-following at all.  Given that opinion, I don't much care what
method is used to credit included material, as long as I can skip it
most of the time.  (Ever consider that we are just re-inventing footnotes? :-))

Some people may feel that conserving network bandwidth is important,
but I feel that conserving the human news reader's screen and keyboard
time is more important.

If there are other approaches I can use at the newsreader end, (a macro
to skip to the last '>' (or equivalent character) in the article &
display from there onward?) I'd be happy to hear about them.

I'll consider changing newsreaders if any of them offer a better search &
thread-following strategy than 'rn' (in ^N mode).

What I'd really like is to use something like '=' to review subjects,
then issue a multiple search sequence for several strings, and also
have searching run a push-down stack for each string and subject, so
rather than a search sequence like:

/quot
<rn presents sequence of articles with subject lines:
Subject: Re: Quoting and followups
Subject: Re: Quoting and followups, another view
<no more articles with the added 'another view' string, and thus
<rn presents first unread article, regardless of whether there are more
<articles without the added 'another view' string, or with any 'quot' string

instead, you might have a search sequence like:

/quot/,/kill/,/BIX/
<rn presents sequence of articles with subject lines:
Subject: Re: Quoting and followups, LONG
Subject: Famous Quotation database ?
Subject: Kill file syntax
Subject: Kill file syntax, explained
Subject: Killer Whales
Subject: BIX gateway
Subject: BIX address

I'd also like a replacement for '=' that instead of producing:

1234 Subject: Re: Quoting and followups
1235 Subject: Re: Quoting and followups
1236 Subject: Re: Quoting and followups, another view
1237 Subject: Re: Quoting and followups, another view
1238 Subject: Re: Quoting and followups
<continues for several screens>

produces a frequency count in descending order

   3 Subject: Re: Quoting and followups
   2 Subject: Re: Quoting and followups, another view
   <etc., continues for fewer screens>

macros that perform (this or similar) actions & other reasonable
suggestions cheerfully accepted.  Please note that I won't switch
newsreaders without a few good reasons to do so - the time and
effort involved in finding, compiling, learning, tuning, and patching
would have to pay off in a few months to be considered.

Thanks for your time, patience, and thought -

Denis
dmckeon@hydra.unm.edu