[news.newusers.questions] Problems posting to newsfeed

snyde_sl@tsca02.uucp (Steve Snyder) (05/09/91)

Our site recently established a newsfeed.  We are running C news (last
patch date is 24-Mar-91) and rn (last patch date is 01-Jan-91, # 54)
on an Apollo DN3000 under Domain/OS SR10.2 (sys 5.3 environment).

I'm having a problem posting articles created by our local users back
to our newsfeed (uunet).  This happens if we use either 'postnews'
that came with the C News distribution or 'Pnews' that came with the
'rn' distribution.  The articles show up on our local news server
without any problem, but they never get sent back to uunet.  I finally
figured out a way to force the desired articles to be sent to uunet.
If I manually create the file '/usr/spool/news/out.going/uunet/togo'
and put the desired article path names and sizes in this file, the
desired articles do get sent because cron runs sendbatches every hour.
I've searched through all the C news, rn, usenet, and uucp documenta-
tion I have (including the O'Reilly Managing and Using uucp and Usenet
books), but I can not determine which process is supposed to create
the 'togo' file for a site.  This is supposed to happen automatically,
right?

I think the problem is most likely in our configuration files or maybe
a problem with queuelen.  I've made several changes to sys, but can't
seem to get the right combination.  Listed below are portions of the
files that I believe are applicable:

      /usr/lib/news/sys

  # line indicating what we are willing to receive; note local groups on end
  ME:comp,news,sci,to,ohio-tsc

  # line indicating what groups and distrib. we will allow users to post news to
  uunet:comp,news,sci,to.uunet,!to.all,world,na,usa,oh/all:Lf:uunet/togo

      /usr/lib/news/batchparms

  # site		size	queue	builder	muncher	sender
  # ----		----	-----	-------	-------	------
  /default/	100000	20	batcher	compcun	viauux

Also how can I determine which grade my system uses for news?  I looks
like queuelen is expecting grade 'd', but I'm not sure our system is
using that grade for news.

Any ideas why I can only post locally, or possible solutions to this
problem?  Does this happen to anyone else?  I'd prefer responses by
email, but I'll continue to watch the newsgroups where I posted this
if you'd rather post a reponse for the benefit of others who might
have a similar problem and questions.  Thanks.

--
Steve Snyder             | You've got to know when to code 'em,
Electronic Data Systems  | know when to modem, know when to load 'em,

In article <1991May8.223945.12696@otsc.eds.com> snyde_sl@tsca02.uucp (Steve Snyder) writes:
>... The articles show up on our local news server
>without any problem, but they never get sent back to uunet...

This means something wrong with the sys file, the code that interprets
it, or the togo files.  Are the permissions on the out.going directory
and its subdirectories suitable for relaynews to write in them?  I'd call
that the most likely problem.  The sys file excerpts look okay.

What does the log file say about a locally-posted article?  Anything in
errlog?

>I've searched through all the C news, rn, usenet, and uucp documenta-
>tion I have (including the O'Reilly Managing and Using uucp and Usenet
>books), but I can not determine which process is supposed to create
>the 'togo' file for a site.  This is supposed to happen automatically,
>right?

Yes, it's done by relaynews, as written up (perhaps slightly tersely)
in news(5) and relaynews(8).

>I think the problem is most likely in our configuration files or maybe
>a problem with queuelen...

If the articles aren't even getting into the togo file, then it's not
a queuelen problem.

>Also how can I determine which grade my system uses for news? ...

Viauux normally uses a "d" grade.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry