[news.newusers.questions] Why no spaces allowed in "Newsgroups: " header?

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (05/18/91)

Ellen> grweiss@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Gregory R Weiss) has crossposting trouble:
>I tried changing the line to 'Newsgroups: rec.games.misc, rec.arts.sf-lovers'
>to cross post.  ...I got a message saying something like 'Malformed
>Newsgroups line'.  What should I do to crosspost correctly?

Ellen> Leave out the space.

Ellen> 	Newsgroups: group.blurfl,another.group,no.spaces.here

Ellen> This is what's commonly known as a "that's-not-a-bug-that's-a-feature."

it's odd that in e-mail and most other headers, a space or 2 is ok... but
not in the "Newsgroups:" line.
--
Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM  Naperville IL USA  +1 708 979 6364

flee@cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) (05/19/91)

>it's odd that in e-mail and most other headers, a space or 2 is ok...
>but not in the "Newsgroups:" line.

This has always been the case, in every version of news I've seen.
It's decribed (rather poorly) in RFC-1036.  I think this is one of the
worse botches in the news system interface, but it's rather too late
to change it now.  Better to let everyone stumble over this once.

Or maybe the posting-front-end should delete spaces in the Newsgroups
line.  Then we only have to deal with cross-confusion during the
ten-year migration period ("Joe put spaces in and his worked, why
doesn't mine?").

(You can't fix it in the news transmission software, because you'd
have to fix it in everyone's news software, everywhere, which is quite
unlikely.)
--
Felix Lee	flee@cs.psu.edu