[gnu.misc.discuss] Would the FSF ever sue?

I don't believe so.  Litigation is very expensive, and the FSF would
better put those resources into more programming.  True, there are
many people who disagree with the FSF's politics and policies.  But
many of these people acknowledge the FSF's right to copyleft.  IMHO,
the FSF has more defenders than they have adherents.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])|(70441.205@compuserve.com)|
       (Russell.Nelson@f360.n260.z1.fidonet.org)|(BH01@GEnie.com :-)

scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us (Steve Simmons) (07/31/89)

nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:
>I don't believe so.  Litigation is very expensive, and the FSF would
>better put those resources into more programming.  True, there are
>many people who disagree with the FSF's politics and policies.  But
>many of these people acknowledge the FSF's right to copyleft.  IMHO,
>the FSF has more defenders than they have adherents.

Should someone actually decide to rip off the copyright, FSF should
probably look for some lawfirm interested in a pro bono case.  In a
similar vein, there are probably other public interest groups that
might be interested because of the rather unique features of the FSF
public licence.
--
: Steve Simmons         ...sharkey!lokkur!scs     scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us :
:                 UNIX -- The OS/360 of the 21st Century                  :