[gnu.misc.discuss] Apple/Microsoft/HP suit may have *some* life in it yet

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (07/31/89)

In a previous posting I claimed the suit was probably dead at this point.
After reading it carefully (while typing it in) the order only completely covers
Microsoft's Windows 2.03.  It still leaves some features of NewWave as possible
copyright infringements (though most of NewWave is covered by the license,
parts of it are not, those parts remain to be determined, and it remains to be
determined whether any of those parts are copyrightable and are validly copyrighted
by Apple.)

So if Apple wants to go on, this court could still end up deciding
whether "look and feel" copyrights can apply to computer programs.
--
John Gilmore      {sun,pacbell,uunet,pyramid}!hoptoad!gnu      gnu@toad.com
      "And if there's danger don't you try to overlook it,

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (07/31/89)

In article <8181@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:

>So if Apple wants to go on, this court could still end up deciding
>whether "look and feel" copyrights can apply to computer programs.

Then let's hope they go on, and get this bugaboo settled once and for all.
Then all we'll have left is the problem with people getting ridiculous
patents on concepts and trying to greenmail people into paying them.