[gnu.misc.discuss] Request For Standard Repostings

scs@itivax.iti.org (Steve Simmons) (07/31/89)

Now that we have a newsgroup where we can discuss this stuff without
polluting the rest of the gnu space, I'd like to see some 'standard
postings' put up here.

Several issues come up over and over again in the GNU discussions.
RMS has answered many of these, but turnover in the readership means
the new people (who most need to know) don't get the data straight
from the horses mouth.  This causes more confusion as various folks
offer their own opinions, an nauseum.

It would be very helpful to have regular postings here of many of the
single-issue clarifications RMS has sent out.  Some specific ones I
can think of (oh god, please let me summarize these right! :-):

A.  Bison output is not copyleft, but the bison static code is.

B.  Gcc output is not copyleft, nor are linked excecutables.  Although
    ctr0.o and libgnu.a are copyleft, users are explicitly permitted to
    use them in proprietary programs.

C.  G++ output is not copyleft.  Ctr0+.o, crt1+.o, and the g++ library
    are all under copyleft, and may not be linked into proprietary programs.

There are almost certianly others.  These regular postings would go a
long way to improve the S/N ratio.
--
Steve Simmons		          scs@vax3.iti.org
Industrial Technology Institute     Ann Arbor, MI.

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (08/01/89)

On 31 Jul 89 13:25:31 GMT,
scs@itivax.iti.org (Steve Simmons) said:

Steve> B.  Gcc output is not copyleft, nor are linked excecutables.
Steve>     Although ctr0.o and libgnu.a are copyleft, users are
Steve>     explicitly permitted to use them in proprietary programs.

Excuse me?  I thought they were _public domain_ and NOT copylefted...
I know *something* with GCC was declared to be too insignificant to
worry about, and therefore explicitly placed in the public domain, to
avoid having to worry about it.  To my knowledge, there IS no such
thing as a copylefted program where "users are explicitly permitted to
use them in proprietary programs."  More like, "you can use these for
proprietary programs _because_ we placed them in the public domain and
NOT under the GPL."

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2214 12th Street, Troy, NY 12180       Phone:  (518) 271-0750

scs@itivax.iti.org (Steve Simmons) (08/01/89)

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:

>On 31 Jul 89 13:25:31 GMT,
>scs@itivax.iti.org (Steve Simmons) said:

>Steve> B.  Gcc output is not copyleft, nor are linked excecutables.
>Steve>     Although ctr0.o and libgnu.a are copyleft, users are
>Steve>     explicitly permitted to use them in proprietary programs.

>Excuse me?  I thought they were _public domain_ and NOT copylefted...

You prove my point!  :-)

We really need those informational postings, so morons like moi don't
screw it up.  Tho in my defence I must remind the readers there was a
disclaimer saying I might not have it right.