[gnu.misc.discuss] Questions

robert@isgtec.UUCP (Robert Osborne) (08/03/89)

Some comments/questions:

1)   FSF does not have to worry about the "machine-readable" problem since
     if the program being distributed in punched_card|newsprint|$10000
     dollar CD|etc. is useful it only has to be "machine-read" once.
     Thereafter FSF or somebody equally philanthropic :-) can distribute
     in an "approved" format.  One does not have to get the source of the
     new programs from the developer.

2)   What if I think up some new, neat-o-keen, idea|algorithm (Fat Chance :-)
     *patent* it and then use BISON/G++ to implement it,  I then distribute
     my source.   Would not any future distribution of source be made
     illegal by my patent.  Or would I lose this patent (by my subsequent
     distribution of same source.).  Am I stupid/naive for asking
     this question?

3)   What ARE the *better* ways of making money from our software (assuming
     we don't sell it, but instead distribute it).

4)   I'm a software hoarder (oh no!) and I work for a company (see .sig)
     that provides hardware and software to create 3d images from CAT scans.
     (simplified version of what we do,  *I disclaim*).
     The development required from my department, has so far taken
     approximately 100 man months of effort.
     (This is only a small section of our company the whole effort is much
     larger)   The users of out product are radiologists and surgeons.
     Verrrry few of these people are computer literate,
     (with some exceptions), nor do they desire to become so.
     Where would hospitals (society) find 100+ man months of *volunteer*
     FSF type of help to create, support, maintain such a software
     project?   How does this kind of project fit into the FSF world
     view?

Rob.
(This posting DOES NOT reflect the views, opinions, or version of reality
 of my employers)
--
Robert Osborne                     ...uunet!mnetor!lsuc!isgtec!robert
                                          ...utzoo!lsuc!isgtec!robert

dsill@ark1.nswc.navy.mil (Dave Sill) (08/04/89)

In article <115@isgtec.UUCP> robert@isgtec.UUCP (Robert Osborne) writes:
>Some comments/questions:
>    :
>2)   What if I think up some new, neat-o-keen, idea|algorithm (Fat Chance :-)
>     *patent* it and then use BISON/G++ to implement it,  I then distribute
>     my source.   Would not any future distribution of source be made
>     illegal by my patent.  Or would I lose this patent (by my subsequent
>     distribution of same source.).  Am I stupid/naive for asking
>     this question?

Your patent would be available to anyone wanting a copy.  If you want
to keep it secret you'd have to make it a trade secret.  (This is what
Coca Cola uses to protect its formula.)  You'd have to make everyone
that needed to know the algorithm sign a non-disclosure agreement.  Of
course any reasonably knowledgeable person could disassemble your
binary to discover the algorithm; just as chemists could theoretically
reverse-engineer Coke's formula.  I guess you'd also need to copyright
your algorithm, but I think there are circumstances under which
copyrighted material must be made public.

>3)   What ARE the *better* ways of making money from our software (assuming
>     we don't sell it, but instead distribute it).

I believe RMS' idea is that programmers should earn money doing
consulting and supporting.  A possible scenario would be that your
company would pay you to write the software (which would be
copylefted).  They'd distribute it; possibly bundled with a
maintenance agreement or warranty which would allow them to charge
whatever they want for it.  Their customers would have access to the
source, so they would have the option of purchasing maintenance or
support elsewhere.  The "danger" in this scenario is that your company
would be required to give its software to its direct competitors.
This is offset by the fact that the competitors would also have to
give your firm any enhancements or fixes they distribute to their
customers.  Another offsetting factor is that your firm, as the
developer of the software, would get a big jump on the competition in
the span between its first release and the time any competitor would
be able to distribute an enhanced version.  And of course, by that
time your firm would probably already be shipping their next version.

>4)   I'm a software hoarder (oh no!) and I work for a company (see .sig)
>     that provides hardware and software to create 3d images from CAT scans.
>     (simplified version of what we do,  *I disclaim*).
>     The development required from my department, has so far taken
>     approximately 100 man months of effort.
>     (This is only a small section of our company the whole effort is much
>     larger)   The users of out product are radiologists and surgeons.
>     Verrrry few of these people are computer literate,
>     (with some exceptions), nor do they desire to become so.
>     Where would hospitals (society) find 100+ man months of *volunteer*
>     FSF type of help to create, support, maintain such a software
>     project?   How does this kind of project fit into the FSF world
>     view?

See my response to #3.  Nobody's suggesting that programmers quit
earning money for writing software.

I'd suspect that in a vertical market such as 3D CAT imaging, it
wouldn't matter a whole lot if your company freely distributed its
sources.  Who would your customers buy support/maintenance from?  At
first, your firm would be the only choice.  Is there any proprietary
hardware bundled with your products?  If so, what good would your
software do your competitors, especially considering that they'd have
to "show you theirs" after you "showed them yours"?

Dave Sill (dsill@relay.nswc.navy.mil)

jym@APPLE.COM (08/05/89)

> Where would hospitals (society) find 100+ man [sic] months of *volunteer*
> FSF type of help to create, support, maintain such a software project?
> How does this kind of project fit into the FSF world view?

What percentage of these 100+ person-months would you estimate has been
 dedicated to retracing others' steps?  Chances are, like most software
  projects, yours has spent a lot of time and money reinventing wheels,
   or buying them.

And let's not forget how exciting it is to reinvent wheels, or how much
 society advances while wheels are being invented.

The way I see it, the more software we make free, the fewer resources we
 have to waste on duplication of efforts.  And that frees us up to work
  on the Next Big Thing.  And the next, and the next, and the next . . .
   <_Jym_>

julian@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Julian Cowley) (08/05/89)

In article <115@isgtec.UUCP> robert@isgtec.UUCP (Robert Osborne) writes:
>     Where would hospitals (society) find 100+ man months of *volunteer*
>     FSF type of help to create, support, maintain such a software
>     project?   How does this kind of project fit into the FSF world
>     view?

I doubt that you could find volunteer help for a project of that
size, but an organization such as the American Medical
Association might be able to provide funds for one.  Once the
source is available to hospitals, consulting companies could be
hired to do custom work on the system if the hospital wanted.

julian@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
uunet!nosc!humu!uhccux!julian
julian@uhccux.bitnet
University of Hawaii at Manoa

mellon@zayante.pa.dec.com (Ted Lemon) (08/05/89)

The hospital doesn't have to find the volunteers.   They will wind up
paying for the software in the cost of the hardware.   The case where
you have to buy hardware in order to use a piece of software is a
classic situation in which a copyright doesn't make a big difference
anyway.

Also, the GNU project has been going on for several years now, and
lots of people have donated time.  I suspect that more than 100 man
months of effort are donated every year.

If I thought it would materially advance medical technology, I'd
probably be more than happy to do volunteer work on a cat scanner
program.   Imagine if the next generation of cat scanner didn't
require a complete rewrite of the previous generations code.
Wouldn't technology progress a little faster?   It probably wouldn't
take 100 man months to make the software work.

			       _MelloN_

peter@apexepa.UUCP (Peter Palij) (08/05/89)

>The "danger" in this scenario is that your company
>would be required to give its software to its direct competitors.
>This is offset by the fact that the competitors would also have to
>give your firm any enhancements or fixes they distribute to their
>customers.  Another offsetting factor is that your firm, as the
>developer of the software, would get a big jump on the competition in
>the span between its first release and the time any competitor would
>be able to distribute an enhanced version.  And of course, by that
>time your firm would probably already be shipping their next version.

In my experience, there are very few firms which have the *management*
capacity to succeed under such an open senario.  The problem is that
the infrastructure required to sell, deliver, maintain, document, etc.
a major piece of software causes "the managers" to forget about the
next rev of the software.  Often management's focus is so diverted by
these "building a major company" issues they lose sight of the reason
for their success, their customers and third party developers.
Engineering in these companies is given carte blanch (after all, the
success of this first product proves they walk on water and know what
they're doing), whereupon engineering proceeds to splinter into 2N
projects (N == # of engineers) of which only a few actually may relate
to the current business.  The competition, which is usually a small,
focused start-up (or "tiger team" in a large company) then turns
around and begins to eat into the first company's market.  (Yes, I
know there are significant exceptions, that doesn't deny that this is
very normal senario.)

So what is a rational company to do if this is the norm and it is a
normal company run by normal managers?  It makes the technology
proprietary and protects that technology any way it can (after all,
that's what all the major companies do).  It certainly has NO interest
in making the competition's life easier by providing the keys to the
kingdom.  (Anyway, it is always easier to call a lawyer than to
question your basic assumptions about the way the world works.)

Personally, I firmly believe that the original senario is a doable,
and in fact a very profitable, approach to the software business.  But
because it assumes a non-normal management perspective (the urge to
"build a major company" replaced by the urge to build a
technologically agile, long-term profitable company), it is *very*
unlikely to become the normal way of approaching the software
business.

--
-----------------
Peter Palij                                               uunet!apexepa!peter

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) (08/07/89)

In article <55@ark1.nswc.navy.mil> dsill@relay.nswc.navy.mil (Dave Sill) writes:
>In article <115@isgtec.UUCP> robert@isgtec.UUCP (Robert Osborne) writes:
>>3)   What ARE the *better* ways of making money from our software (assuming
>>     we don't sell it, but instead distribute it).
>
>I believe RMS' idea is that programmers should earn money doing
>consulting and supporting.

Generally, programmers should earn money for any work they do, which would
include writing software from scratch, not just supporting it.  For example,
for a small software project, a hospital would hire a programmer and pay them
for the amount of time they put in.  The hospital gets what they pay for, i.e.
a working program, and any software produced is then freely available to
others.

For a large software project such as being discussed here, a National
Institutes of Health grant or some similar funding source would be required to
pay the programmers who write the software.  This happens all of the time at
medical schools: many Radiology departments are quite busy writing their own
software, using government grants.

*
  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet