[gnu.misc.discuss] PC Express

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (08/05/89)

While in the university PC lab, someone came down wanted some software
configured for their new printer (an HP DeskJet Plus... note: not the
laser printer).

While configuring his disks, he mentioned that as soon as he gets a
hard drive he won't need that configuration anymore because he'll be
able "to add postscript" to his printer.  Knowing something about the
DeskJet Plus, I started questioning him.

It seems that the people that sold him the printer also charged $50
for Ghostscript telling him that as soon as he gets a hard drive, it
will make his DeskJet a postscript printer.

Well, after explaining what PostScript is I explained what GhostScript
does (not mentioning the GNU licence, etc).  He told me that he didn't
get the source code (well, he didn't know what source code is, so I
don't expect him to know if he REALLY got it or not).

The vender's name is "PC Express" and they adveritise in The New York
Times (that's all the info I got out of him).

Is this place Doing The Right Thing?  ...or am I completely in
Copyleft field?

-Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

 Author of ERP -- The Exec Replacement Project: "We'll get rid of that
  bothersome multitasking once and for all!"  (Project will start as
     soon as I have some free time... really it will! :-) :-) ;-)

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (08/08/89)

My previous post on this was incorrect.  The product was GoScript, not
GhostScript.  The customer wasn't getting ripped off but was getting
the product that he paid for.  (If you recall, the person wasn't very
computer literate and didn't know what he had gotten.)

Sorry!
Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389
   Standard Disclaimer: I am not the mouth-piece of Drew University

dpi@loft386.UUCP (Doug Ingraham) (08/09/89)

In article <Aug.5.11.56.41.1989.11837@pilot.njin.net>, limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
> <Deleted>
> It seems that the people that sold him the printer also charged $50
> for Ghostscript telling him that as soon as he gets a hard drive, it
> will make his DeskJet a postscript printer.
> <Deleted>
> -Tom
> --
>  Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
>        Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

I suspect that the product he was refering to is GoScript (tm).  I saw
an add for this on page 41 of Micro Cornucopia Sept-Oct issue.  The
nearness of the name caught my eye.  The product claims to support
lots of printers including DeskJet.  It is a Postscript to <insert
supported printer> converter.  Basic price $195 with 13 fonts or $395
with 35 fonts.  I have seen this advertised in PC Magazine and probably
in Byte.

--
Doug Ingraham
Lofty Pursuits (Public Access for Rapid City SD USA)