[gnu.misc.discuss] What are these files, and what do they do?

dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) (08/09/89)

Now that osu-cis has a Telebit, I am going to add GNU stuff to
my Arizona archive site. But, first, before I pay the phone charges,
would a few kind souls tell me what these files are, and what they do?

ET++
GNU /bin Utilities
GNU Bash
GNU Bison
GNU DBM
GNU Go
GNU Indent
GNU Lex
GNU Pins & Art
GNU Plot
GNUS
Ghostscript
Gnews
Ispell
JOVE
KA9Q
Leif
MIT C Scheme
Mg2a
NNTP
Oops
PC RRN
Protoize
Proxy ARP
RCS
RFCs and IDEAS
SB Prolog
STDWIN
Tcsh
--
Dan Troxel @ Handwriting Research Corporation                  WK 1-602-957-8870
Camelback Corporate Center  2821 E. Camelback Road  Suite 600  Phoenix, AZ 85016

ut6y@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (08/09/89)

Thus said dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) in article <200373@hrc.UUCP> -->
>Now that osu-cis has a Telebit, I am going to add GNU stuff to
>my Arizona archive site. But, first, before I pay the phone charges,
>would a few kind souls tell me what these files are, and what they do?

You asked for it....
NOte: I simply deleted the ones I don't know from the list to save bandwidth

>GNU Bash
	BASH aka Bourne Again SHell.  FSF's replacement for the standard
	'sh'.  Includes filename completion and KSH/NeXTCSH-like history
	scrolling using EMACS or VI keymaps.  That is, you can hit "Ctrl-P"
	and have the last command you typed pop back up.  Runs most
	SHell scripts, tho' not all.
>GNU Bison
	FSF's replacement for YACC.  Used in creating parsers.

>GNU Indent
	FSF's replacement for BSD indent.  Program takes C-code as input
	and outputs the same code indented to one of a number of
	indenting standards.

>GNU Lex
	aka 'FLEX'.  Replacement for standard Lex.  Used in creating parsers.

>Gnews
	FSF netnews program.

>Ispell
	Spell checker

>JOVE
	Jonathan's Own Version of Emacs.  A smaller EMACS than GNU, but
	limited.  For most everyday uses, however, an excellent program,
	particularly if you don't have the space for GNU Emacs.

>KA9Q
	A networking program for PCs, I believe.

>MIT C Scheme
	MIT's dialect of LISP

>NNTP
	NetNews Transfer Protocol.  System for sending NetNews over the
	InterNet.  Allows for remote reading over the Internet, as well --
	that is, the news doesn't have to be stored on the machine you
	read from.

>RFCs and IDEAS
	RFC's are InterNet standards-in-waiting.  They describe software to
	be implemented.  Note: they are NOT the programs themselves, but
	rather describe what future programs written to handle a given
	problem should do.  For example, the infamous RFC822 describes
	the system of headers that should be found on InterNet mail messages.

>Tcsh
	Just as BASH is a replacement for the Bourne shell, this is a
	replacement for older CShells.  Many newer CShells have the same
	features as TCSH (notable, NeXT CSH).

Mike Shappe
Cornell Info. Tech.

jgreely@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (08/09/89)

In article <19283@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> ut6y@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:
>>Tcsh
>	Just as BASH is a replacement for the Bourne shell, this is a
>	replacement for older CShells.  Many newer CShells have the same
>	features as TCSH (notable, NeXT CSH).

Just thought I'd correct/bash this one.  The version of Csh shipped
with the NeXT is from CMU, and is the Mach version.  NeXT uses Mach,
so this crufty little program slipped in.  I recommend trying Tcsh as
an alternative to CMU's, which I find too flaky.

-=-
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)