[gnu.misc.discuss] NeXT boycott--why not?

ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu (Christopher K Davis) (08/06/89)

In article<*@andrew.cmu.edu>dh07+@andrew.cmu.edu(David Hairston) writ...
> [discussion of Standard File-style dialog box in the Finder]
>in addition, i'd like that "open file dialog" to have two
>windows, one containing only folders and the other containing only
>non-folder type files within the currently selected folder. thus the
>first window is used for movement and the second window for selection.

On 5 Aug 89 18:29:29 GMT,
ericsc@microsoft.UUCP (Eric Schlegel) said:

E> A bit like the NeXT file system browser, which has multiple panes spanning
E> a window which descend deeper into the directory hierarchy as you move
E> to the right. This is (IMHO) a very wonderful feature of the NeXT. When the
E> NeXT first came out someone posted to the net a Mac version of this browser,
E> but apparently was contacted by NeXT and politely told to "cease and desist,"
E> or more uncomfortable legalese would follow. Doesn't bode well for this
E> showing up in the Finder, but I agree, it would be nice.

GNUrus?  Here's an interesting question--does this remind you of what
Apple's been doing?  Why aren't you boycotting NeXT?

-C
--
  /\  | /  |\  @bu-pub.bu.edu <preferred>  | Christopher K. Davis, BU SMG '90
 /    |/   | \ %bu-pub.bu.edu@bu-it.bu.edu |   [No, I don't speak for BU...]

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) (08/07/89)

In article <35921@bu-cs.BU.EDU> ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu (Christopher K Davis) writes:

>On 5 Aug 89 18:29:29 GMT, ericsc@microsoft.UUCP (Eric Schlegel) said:
>
>E> A bit like the NeXT file system browser, which has multiple panes spanning
>E> a window which descend deeper into the directory hierarchy as you move
>E> to the right. This is (IMHO) a very wonderful feature of the NeXT. When the
>E> NeXT first came out someone posted to the net a Mac version of this browser,
>E> but apparently was contacted by NeXT and politely told to "cease and
>E> desist," or more uncomfortable legalese would follow. Doesn't bode well for
>E> this showing up in the Finder, but I agree, it would be nice.
>
>GNUrus?  Here's an interesting question--does this remind you of what
>Apple's been doing?  Why aren't you boycotting NeXT?

My recollection of this event is that there was no heavy-handedness involved;
in fact, the person who wrote the Mac version of the Browser received a
personal phone call from Steve Jobs, who explained the need for NeXT to have an
interface that was distinguishable from Apple's.  The author then voluntarily
withdrew the program from distribution.  The issue here wasn't the program's
functionality--there have been other, similar programs available for the Mac--
but that it looked exactly like the Browser, at a time when NeXT was trying to
establish its computer as something new and different.

*
  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet
    * *      * *    * **
     *        *      *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu (Christopher K Davis) (08/07/89)

In article <35921@bu-cs.BU.EDU> ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu (Christopher K Davis) writes:

>On 5 Aug 89 18:29:29 GMT, ericsc@microsoft.UUCP (Eric Schlegel) said:
>
>E> A bit like the NeXT file system browser, which has multiple panes spanning
>E> a window which descend deeper into the directory hierarchy as you move
>E> to the right. This is (IMHO) a very wonderful feature of the NeXT. When the
>E> NeXT first came out someone posted to the net a Mac version of this browser,
>E> but apparently was contacted by NeXT and politely told to "cease and
>E> desist," or more uncomfortable legalese would follow. Doesn't bode well for
>E> this showing up in the Finder, but I agree, it would be nice.
>
>GNUrus?  Here's an interesting question--does this remind you of what
>Apple's been doing?  Why aren't you boycotting NeXT?

On 6 Aug 89 18:41:51 GMT,
phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) said:

Scott> My recollection of this event is that there was no heavy-handedness involved;
Scott> in fact, the person who wrote the Mac version of the Browser received a
Scott> personal phone call from Steve Jobs, who explained the need for NeXT to have an
Scott> interface that was distinguishable from Apple's.  The author then voluntarily
Scott> withdrew the program from distribution.  The issue here wasn't the program's
Scott> functionality--there have been other, similar programs available for the Mac--
Scott> but that it looked exactly like the Browser, at a time when NeXT was trying to
Scott> establish its computer as something new and different.

Right.  "It looked exactly like the Browser."  Visual interface was the
problem, not functionality, right?

Sounds like a certain computer "for the rest of us."

Admittedly, there was no lawsuit involved--but my question is whether one
was threatened or not.  (A threat can have as chilling an effect as a
lawsuit, as Digital Research's GEM would illustrate.)

Scott>   *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
Scott>    *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet
--
  /\  | /  |\  @bu-pub.bu.edu <preferred>  | Christopher K. Davis, BU SMG '90
 /    |/   | \ %bu-pub.bu.edu@bu-it.bu.edu |   [No, I don't speak for BU...]
 \    |\   | /  <for stupid sendmails>     |      BITNET: smghy6c@buacca
  \/  | \  |/  @bucsb.UUCP <last resort>  or ...!bu-cs!bucsb!ckd if you gotta.
 ** IF YOU REPLY TO THE ADDRESS IN THE PATH: LINE IT *WILL* BOUNCE!!! --CKD **

nagle@well.UUCP (John Nagle) (08/07/89)

      It was rumored to be so "exactly like the Browser" that it displayed
a NeXT logo.

					John Nagle

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) (08/09/89)

In article <35960@bu-cs.BU.EDU> ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu (Christopher K Davis) writes:
>Right.  "It looked exactly like the Browser."

Yes, it even displayed a NeXT icon when it couldn't get a file's own icon.

>Visual interface was the problem, not functionality, right?
>Sounds like a certain computer "for the rest of us."

If I'm not mistaken, what people are worried about in this group is not the
particular graphic image used to represent a trash can, but rather the idea of
a trash can as a place to drag a file to delete it.  Apple's idea of "visual
interface" includes the latter, along with overlapping windows, etc.

>Admittedly, there was no lawsuit involved--but my question is whether one
>was threatened or not.  (A threat can have as chilling an effect as a
>lawsuit, as Digital Research's GEM would illustrate.)

I do not recall any mention of lawsuits, threatened or otherwise, in the
withdrawal note the author posted.

*

jym@APPLE.COM (08/10/89)

> If I'm not mistaken, what people are worried about in this group is . . .
> the idea of a trash can as a place to drag a file to delete it.

So make it a recycling bin.  It's more accurate, and reinforces responsible
 habits wrt trash. :-)

(Make that 1/2 :-) . . .)
 <_Jym_>