[gnu.misc.discuss] uSoft/Apple and user interfaces

bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) (08/09/89)

In article <9025@cs.Buffalo.EDU> ugkamins@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Dr. R. Chandra) writes:
>In all the stuff I've read recently on the copyright infringement suit
>brought by Apple against MicroSoft for Windows 2.03, I have to wonder:
>
>Why did Commodore-Amiga's Intuition interface not enter into the suit?
>Why did Tandy's DeskMate interface not enter into the suit?
>
>From what I read in gnu.misc.discuss, Intuition windows sound exactly
>like uSoft's Windows and Mac windows.  DeskMate windows and dialog
>boxes, while not similar to me, seem to share many of the same graphic
>ideas (especially dialog boxes with all those buttons that can be
>"pressed").

Chew on this one.  The Apple environment was the brainchild of
Steve Jobs who stuck a souped up version of it in the NEXT computer.
Steve Jobs used to work for Xerox eons ago where the original research
for the environment was done.   I heard this at a Next show at B.U.
Now the question is, can Jobs sue Apple and can Xerox sue Jobs?

   "like sand in the hourglass, so are the days of our lives..."

   "Hey Edith, bring me a beer."

$include standard.disclaimer

--
------------------------ Signature Version 0.2 ------------------------------
Disclaimer:

Blair "Bear" Burtan, Boston University's Resident Amiga Expert
which isn't saying much.

bear@bucsb.edu   bear@bucsf.edu   bear@buengf.edu
bear@bu-pub.edu  enge05c@buacca.edu

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (08/15/89)

In article <3035@bucsb.UUCP> bear@bucsb.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>Steve Jobs used to work for Xerox eons ago where the original research
NO! He visited Xerox PARC and was impressed with the neat stuff they
were doing....  He did work for Atari (before Apple).
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@{ius{3,2,1}.,}cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS

hinton@netcom.UUCP (Greg Hinton) (08/27/89)

In article <3035@bucsb.UUCP> bear@bucsb.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>Now the question is, can Jobs sue Apple and can Xerox sue Jobs?

Lots of folks have suggested that Xerox should sue Apple, but I read in
one of the many Apple/Jobs biographies (I'll try to dig up the reference
if someone insists) that Xerox licensed the technology to Apple (as I recall,
in exchange for Apple stock).  Anyone know more about this?

--
Greg Hinton
INET: hinton@netcom.uucp