[gnu.misc.discuss] Free Nelson Mandela

jym@APPLE.COM (08/29/89)

> In fact, I haven't yet figured out the difference between "free
> software" and "free music"; can someone enlighten me?

Free software goes on disks.  Free music goes on cassettes.  "Free"
 markets are trying to ban better cassettes.
  <_Jym_>

mart@ele.tue.nl (Mart van Stiphout) (08/31/89)

In article <8908282342.AA05204@nlp9> you write:
>Free software goes on disks.  Free music goes on cassettes.  "Free"
> markets are trying to ban better cassettes.
>  <_Jym_>

Must be a free country that lets you post this nonsense and
get away with it.

Mart.

jym@APPLE.COM (08/31/89)

> Free software goes on disks.  Free music goes on cassettes.

I've had a few comments---most private, one public---about this
 statement, so I guess I'd better explain it.

We already have mostly-free music.  While it is technically illegal
 to tape copyrighted recording material, people do it all the time.
  And it hasn't killed the record/CD industry.

Few of the people who call software pirates thieves and communists
 would say the same about home tapers.  In fact, I'd guess that an
  overwhelming majority of people would oppose any attempt to enforce
   those laws, because it would entail a great loss of freedom.

Most of the music I like is on small, independent labels, and I often
 end up buying the records to support the labels and artists.  But
  that's my choice.  If somebody doesn't like them enough to support
   them---or, alternatively, can't afford to support them---should be
    able to tape them anyhow.  That's their choice.

A friend of Paul Simon's lent him some tapes he'd made of South African
 artists.  Simon listened to the tapes while driving around.  The result
  was _Graceland_, a pan-cultural collaboration and an international
   audience for some of these artists.

If it weren't for the taping, Simon may have never heard or heard of
 Zulu jive music.  Those records are on the Shanachie label, which most
  stores don't carry.  If the music hadn't been copied in a form that was
   convenient for him to listen to, he might never have listened to it.

The parallels with software should be easy to deduce.
 <_Jym_>

RAMO%AC.DAL.CA@OHSTVMA.IRCC.OHIO-STATE.EDU ("Richard Outerbridge, Oceanography") (08/31/89)

Free Software is fine, but who needs a copy of Nelsonmandela?

jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) (09/01/89)

<...While it is technically illegal to tape copyrighted recording material,
people do it all the time.  And it hasn't killed the record/CD industry.>

Re-read the Copyright Act.  It is not illegal to tape copyrighted recording
material for personal use.  Even the powerful recording artists lobby knows
this.  The latest CD/DAT copy protection scheme allows *one* copy to be made of
any one CD.  Sounds great -- those who have a financial interest in defeating
it will easily, while your average Joe will get his "extra DAT for the car"
from the black market!  Sigh.  At least it's better than the idiotic notch
previously proposed!

Perhaps follow-ups belong in rec.audio?

							   Jan Steinman - N7JDB
						  Electronic Systems Laboratory
					Box 500, MS 50-370, Beaverton, OR 97077
						(w)503/627-5881 (h)503/657-7703

mccoy@accuvax.nwu.edu (Jim McCoy ) (09/01/89)

In article <5858@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) writes:
><...While it is technically illegal to tape copyrighted recording material,
>people do it all the time.  And it hasn't killed the record/CD industry.>
>
>Re-read the Copyright Act.  It is not illegal to tape copyrighted recording
>material for personal use.  Even the powerful recording artists lobby knows
>this.

I think that the taping that the original poster had in mind was
making multiple copies or copies for friends.  If you have ever made a
copy of a performance and given it to a friend, you have broken the
law.  This is the taping that goes beyond the "free use" clause in the
copyright act and that the recording industry wails about.

> The latest CD/DAT copy protection scheme allows *one* copy to be made of
>any one CD.  Sounds great -- those who have a financial interest in defeating
>it will easily, while your average Joe will get his "extra DAT for the car"
>from the black market!  Sigh.  At least it's better than the idiotic notch
>previously proposed!

Actually, i think that the compromise that was negotiated between the
recording industry and DAT companies was a little different.  I
believe that the circuit in the cassette will prevent DAT to DAT
copies, but not CD to DAT.  This will make mass reproduction
inconvenient, but not impossible.

>Perhaps follow-ups belong in rec.audio?

Probably.  This is wandering a little, but current legal opinion
concerning the copyright act is a very important topic for the FSF (i
think :-)

>							   Jan Steinman - N7JDB
>						  Electronic Systems Laboratory
>					Box 500, MS 50-370, Beaverton, OR 97077
>						(w)503/627-5881 (h)503/657-7703

				jim

------------------------------< Jim McCoy >------------------------------------
mccoy@acns.nwu.edu                  |  "...far too many notes for my taste"
#include <disclaimer.h>             |        -Phantom of the Opera
			"To thine own self be true"

jym@APPLE.COM (09/02/89)

>> The latest CD/DAT copy protection scheme allows *one* copy to be made of
>> any one CD.  Sounds great . . .
>  I believe that the circuit in the cassette will prevent DAT to DAT
>  copies, but not CD to DAT.

Either way, we're talking about a mandated electronic configuration, with
 the mandate specifically designed to restrict the flow of information in
  one's own home.

That makes this subject relevant to this mailing list.  Note that the FSF
 has always opposed these same restrictions.
  <_Jym_>

kjones@talos.uucp (Kyle Jones) (09/05/89)

Jan Steinman writes:
 > The latest CD/DAT copy protection scheme allows *one* copy to be made
 > of any one CD.  Sounds great -- those who have a financial interest
 > in defeating it will easily, while your average Joe will get his
 > "extra DAT for the car" from the black market!  Sigh.  At least it's
 > better than the idiotic notch previously proposed!

Buy a $2000 DAT recorder just so you can play a bootleg copy of a $12
CD?  There are already vastly more affordable car CD players.  Since
CD's don't wear out like LP's, there's little to be gained by taping
them and archiving the original.

Jim McCoy writes:
 > Actually, i think that the compromise that was negotiated between the
 > recording industry and DAT companies was a little different.  I
 > believe that the circuit in the cassette will prevent DAT to DAT
 > copies, but not CD to DAT.  This will make mass reproduction
 > inconvenient, but not impossible.

If true, this is terrible!  If I buy a DAT recorder for my music studio
to make digital masters, thanks to this stupid restriction I can't make
a backup copy?  Wonderful. :-(