[gnu.misc.discuss] Objective Gnu?

bpalmer@bbn.com (Brian Palmer) (09/19/89)

In "The NeXT Book" by Bruce Webster, he says: (page 134)

	Objective C is based on the Gnu C compiler developed by
	Richard Stallman.  Release 0.9 has merged the Objective
	C syntax with the the Gnu C compiler to speed up compilation
	and to produce faster, more efficient code.

Are they using FSF software in their product? Or is Webster just badly
explaining the situation ...  and Objective C is just preprocessing and
passing C to gcc.

Otherwise Gang, I see a Copyleft violation right?

Brian

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (09/19/89)

Allegedly, they merged objective C.

However, they're also going to start distribution of this via FSF, so
no copyleft violation exists.

raburns%ecotopia@Sun.COM (Randy Burns) (09/20/89)

In article <45768@bbn.COM> bpalmer@bbn.com (Brian Palmer) writes:

>In "The NeXT Book" by Bruce Webster, he says: (page 134)
>
>	Objective C is based on the Gnu C compiler developed by
>	Richard Stallman.  Release 0.9 has merged the Objective
>	C syntax with the the Gnu C compiler to speed up compilation
>	and to produce faster, more efficient code.
>
>Are they using FSF software in their product? Or is Webster just badly
>explaining the situation ...  and Objective C is just preprocessing and
>passing C to gcc.
>
>Otherwise Gang, I see a Copyleft violation right?
I had heard something to the effect that NeXT was going to make their
Objective C compiler GNUware. Now this sounds really nice, but there
still is a problem: the NeXT objective C compiler will still only run
on NeXT machines (which have a highly proprietary design). It seems to me
that this meets the letter of the law without really enhancing the
availability of standard GNUware particularly. Basically a company that
has a highly proprietary architecture (i.e. NeXT) is put at a less of a
disadvantage using GNUware this way than a company with a much more
open strategy (i.e. Sun). If Sun had developed a product like the NeXT
objective C compiler it would also run on all of its licensee's computers
and would not give the group that developed it the same competitive
advantage that NeXT is getting.  Personally, I think the Free Software
Foundation could best correct this situation and meet it's long term purpose
by having a more flexible policy towards leasing out proprietary right to
modify its code for a limited period of time. A lot of larger and defense-
oriented firms would gladly be willing to pay for this privilege and the
resulting funds could be used for software directed more at academic,
non-profit and small business software.

Note: The above opinions are my own and in no way should be taken to reflect
      those of my  consulting client, Sun MicroSystems or any of its
      management.

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (09/20/89)

/ gnu.misc.discuss / raburns%ecotopia@Sun.COM (Randy Burns) / Sep 19, 1989 /
> I had heard something to the effect that NeXT was going to make their
> Objective C compiler GNUware. Now this sounds really nice, but there
> still is a problem: the NeXT objective C compiler will still only run
> on NeXT machines [...]

RMS has already announced that he intends to merge NeXT's Objective-C work
into the GNU C/C++ compiler.  Thus, users of all systems for which gcc
back-ends have been or can be developed can benefit from NeXT's work, just
like NeXT benefited from other people's work by using gcc as the basis for
their Objective-C compiler.  This is EXACTLY the way "GNUware", as you call
it, is supposed to work.

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore	Jacob@Gore.Com		{boulder,nucsrl}!gore!jacob

In article <124947@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> raburns@sun.UUCP (Randy Burns) writes:
>I had heard something to the effect that NeXT was going to make their
>Objective C compiler GNUware. Now this sounds really nice, but there
>still is a problem: the NeXT objective C compiler will still only run
>on NeXT machines (which have a highly proprietary design). It seems to me
>that this meets the letter of the law without really enhancing the
>availability of standard GNUware particularly.

Sounds to me like you completely misunderstand the GNU philosophy.  No
one is required to "enhance the availability of standard GNUware".
Stallman's belief is that software manufacturer's shouldn't keep their
products secret; object code should be freely distributable, and
source code should be available to anyone who wants it.  It has
nothing to do with the area of applicability of the program; the same
philosophy covers portable text editors and highly specialized
application programs.  Stallman has no legal way to force all software
manufacturers to abide by his philosophy, but he can require that any
derivative works of FSF software be covered by the copyleft.  It
sounds as thought NeXT is doing just that.  Why would they want to
spend the effort to write a generic Objective C compiler, when all
they need is an Objective C that works on their machine?  And since
Stallman presumably doesn't believe in licensing restrictions, how
could he conceivably condone a restriction that NeXT's compiler be
general purpose?

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

raulmill@usc.edu (Raul Deluth Rockwell) (09/20/89)

In article <124947@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> raburns%ecotopia@Sun.COM (Randy Burns) writes:
;> In article <45768@bbn.COM> bpalmer@bbn.com (Brian Palmer) writes:
;> >  In "The NeXT Book" by Bruce Webster, he says: (page 134)
;> >  Objective C . . .  Release 0.9 has merged the Objective C syntax
;> >  with the the Gnu C compiler . . . I see a Copyleft violation
;> >  right?
;>
;> I had heard . . . NeXT was going to make their Objective C compiler
;> GNUware. . . .  but there still is a problem: the NeXT objective C
;> compiler will still only run on NeXT machines (which have a highly
;> proprietary design).
;> . . .
;> I think the Free Software Foundation could best correct this
;> situation and meet it's long term purpose by having a more flexible
;> policy towards leasing out proprietary right to modify its code for
;> a limited period of time.

I'm confused by this last line.  If Objective C is available in
source, and if the CAPABILITY exists in the environment to support it,
it should be quite possible to modify the source to run in your
environment.

--

schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (09/20/89)

In article <124947@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> Randy Burns writes:
| I had heard something to the effect that NeXT was going to make their
| Objective C compiler GNUware. Now this sounds really nice, but there
| still is a problem: the NeXT objective C compiler will still only run
| on NeXT machines (which have a highly proprietary design). It seems to me
| that this meets the letter of the law without really enhancing the
| availability of standard GNUware particularly.

What is it about the NeXT that makes the compiler useless elsewhere?
Mach style object files?  Calling conventions?  What?  (In a previous
release, 0.8, Sun3 4.0 static binaries would execute without change on
a NeXT.)

Second, how does this violate the Copyleft agreement?  I mean, if they
mutate GCC into a new compiler, which they then give away, how can you
complain???
--
Scott Schwartz		<schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu>