[gnu.misc.discuss] gnuplot

lydia@uns-helios.nevada.edu (Lydia Reed) (09/28/89)

A math prof is desiring to plot numerous curves on a single plot.
Gnuplot is the plotting package we have most readily available and
easiest to use.  A few details then a few questions:

DETAILS

* version 1.1.0 runs on a microvax running 4.3bsd
* this version has 16 set term options
* version 1.2.1 runs on a sun 3/280 running 4.2 release 3.5
* this version has 4 set term options

QUESTIONS

1) Why does the more recent version have fewer set term options?

2) On the sun some of the examples from the manual core dump, however
the same examples work fine on the microvax.  Is this because of the
different versions or because of the different hardware? (I know the
sun doen't handle null pointers which the microvax does)

3) What is the current version of gnuplot?  Does gnuplot now belong to
FSF?

4) Is it possible to remove the scaling information from the bottom
right hand cornor (It gets in the way of some plots)?  If so how?

Any info/opinions on gnuplot are welcomed.  Also, does anyone know of
any other pd plotting/graphic packages? Opinion and info encouraged

Thanks,
Lydia Reed
Tech Consult UNS Computing Services

lydia@uns-helios.nevada.edu
lydia@unsvax.bitnet

thaw@pixar.UUCP (Tom Williams) (09/29/89)

lydia@uns-helios.nevada.edu (Lydia Reed) writes:
>DETAILS

>* version 1.1.0 runs on a microvax running 4.3bsd
>* this version has 16 set term options
>* version 1.2.1 runs on a sun 3/280 running 4.2 release 3.5
           ^^^^^
Bogus version.
>* this version has 4 set term options

>1) Why does the more recent version have fewer set term options?

gnuplot 1.2 was never officially released.  Several individuals have
made changes to the code and released "new" versions.  A programmer
at Duke took an early version (1.0) and added a latex driver and
some bug fixes and called it "gnutex"(!?).  This is partially my
fault, since I was depending on Villanova to pursue development
on this project.  I was made aware of the new versions by Russell Lang
at Monash University (Australia) and we are putting together a new
release which will include the useful modifications which have been
scattered about the planet.

gnuplot 1.2.0 will include among other features:

-polar plots
-axis labelling
-new terminal drivers

>2) On the sun some of the examples from the manual core dump, however
>the same examples work fine on the microvax.  Is this because of the
>different versions or because of the different hardware? (I know the
>sun doen't handle null pointers which the microvax does)

version 1.1 works on all the Suns I've tested except Sun4/110's which
have a hardware problem (I think SUN has a work around available with
new kernel mods).

>3) What is the current version of gnuplot?  Does gnuplot now belong to
>FSF?

NO!  FSF kindly distributes the software.  The "gnu" in gnuplot has
nothing to do with the Free Software Foundation.  "gnu" is a pun
on "new" and "llama"; the prototype software was called llamaplot
but the other author, Colin Kelley, refused to release it with that
name. (he wanted to call it nplot, so we compromised).

>lydia@unsvax.bitnet

				Hope this helps.

                      -thaw-