[gnu.misc.discuss] DG ships 'gcc' by default

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (10/10/89)

I was involved in a system evaluation which involved, among other
systems, the Data General Aviion 5100. This is based on the Motorola
88000 and is appearently a pretty new model.

During the selection process, I had to compile benchmark software on all
the systems. I was intrigued by Data General's seeming dependence on the
GNU C compiler as its production compiler.

The GCC is listed in Data General documentation as a DG product,
complete with product number. It is the only C compiler shipped with the
system, as the Green Hills compiler is an extra cost option.

Nowhere in the DG docs (I looked) included the FSF General Agreement or
any copyright/copyleft information separate from DG's own legalese. I do
recall that the GCC source code was available for no charge if the user
requested a tape of 'contributed software' from DG (which, I believe,
contains some other freely-distributable software).

But nowhere did I see explicit allowance for copying of the GCC or its
libraries.

The DG documentation alluded that DG had made 'improvements' on the GCC
code. I do not know whether the source for such improvements was either
made available in source or offered to the FSF.

I am curious. Has Data General made any contribution to the FSF in thanks
for allowing DG get away without developing its own compiler? Does the DG
system use GNU or AT&T libraries (if GNU, then I assume the compiled
binaries are subject to copyleft).

Moreover, does the above use of GCC (supplied as a manufacturer's
product, without the accompanying copyleft information) constitute a
misuse of the software? Can the FSF cripple the Aviion project by
prohibiting such use? Was it prudent for DG to make GCC the primary
compiler rather than an option?

--
   Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
                 evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan

andrew@frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner) (10/10/89)

[]

	"Nowhere in the DG docs (I looked) included the FSF General
	Agreement or any copyright/copyleft information separate from
	DG's own legalese ... The DG documentation alluded that DG had
	made 'improvements' on the GCC code. I do not know whether the
	source for such improvements was either made available in
	source or offered to the FSF."

It has, it was, they do.

I have been working with Michael Meissner (meissner@dg-rtp.DG.COM), who
has done the work of bringing GCC-88k up to production quality.  It has
always been his intention to comply fully with the copyleft.  He
prodded DG's lawyers into signing the appropriate paperwork; he has
been returning his modifications to rms (and posting bug reports to the
lists); and he maintains the latest archive in ~ftp/pub/gnu at site
dg-rtp.dg.com (inet number 128.222.1.2.)

As further evidence of DG's good faith, he has regularly distributed
his work-in-progress to us at Tektronix, nominally a direct competitor
of theirs.

If the copyleft license is missing from the Aviion package, I'm sure
it's because of a documentation/packaging oversight, not because of any
malicious intent.

	"Does the DG system use GNU or AT&T libraries (if GNU, then I
	assume the compiled binaries are subject to copyleft)."

What GNU libraries?  The only interesting one I know of is libg++,
which is only a candidate if you distribute a G++ compiler.  As far as
I know, DG doesn't yet.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!frip.WV.TEK!andrew)    [UUCP]
                        (andrew%frip.wv.tek.com@relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]

m5@lynx.uucp (Mike McNally) (10/10/89)

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:

>I am curious. Has Data General made any contribution to the FSF in thanks
>for allowing DG get away without developing its own compiler? Does the DG
>system use GNU or AT&T libraries (if GNU, then I assume the compiled
>binaries are subject to copyleft).

Huh?  Compiled binaries, linked with (hypothetically) DG's own library,
subject to (sounds sorta negative; how about "blessed by") copyleft?

If my confusion demonstrates unforgiveable ignorance, then unforgive
me.

--
Mike McNally                                    Lynx Real-Time Systems
uucp: {voder,athsys}!lynx!m5                    phone: 408 370 2233

            Where equal mind and contest equal, go.