[gnu.misc.discuss] Purpose of GNU lists

ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu (Christopher K Davis) (10/16/89)

On 15 Oct 89 17:28:45 GMT,
rms@AI.MIT.EDU said:

ckd> Uh.... excuse me, but I thought we created gnu.misc.discuss/
ckd> gnu-misc-discuss to keep this sort of message [from *either* side] out
ckd> of the rest of the gnu.* groups and mailing lists.

rms> Since they are the FSF's mailing lists, the FSF can use them any way
rms> it likes.

"Intriguing." - LCDR Data
--
 Christopher Davis, BU SMG '90  <ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu> <smghy6c@buacca.bitnet>
 "Technology is dominated by those who manage what they do not understand."

rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) (10/16/89)

In article <8910151728.AA01420@sugar-bombs.ai.mit.edu> rms@AI.MIT.EDU writes:

>    Uh.... excuse me, but I thought we created gnu.misc.discuss/gnu-misc-discuss
>    to keep this sort of message [from *either* side] out of the rest of the
>    gnu.* groups and mailing lists.
>
>Since they are the FSF's mailing lists, the FSF can use them any way it likes.

Evidently, Stallman is opposed to proprietary software, but is fully in favor
of proprietary mailing lists.  Interesting.

    Robert

ccplumb@rose.waterloo.edu (Colin Plumb) (10/17/89)

rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) writes:
>Evidently, Stallman is opposed to proprietary software, but is fully in favor
>of proprietary mailing lists.  Interesting.

*sigh*.  Well, you can always take RMS's approach to opposition and build
your own mailing list.  It's not even a great investment of effort, unlike
all the stuff the FSF has been rewriting.

There are valid arguments against RMS posting his politics to non-.discuss
groups, like the fact that it starts pointless discussions (like this one),
and undermines the FSF's own rules about the place of politics, but please
put a little more thought into criticisms.

And as I've said before, RMS has done enough good for the world that I'm
willing to forgive him a great many niggling points before I start bugging
him and interrupt the flow of great hacks.
--
	-Colin