[gnu.misc.discuss] Where do I find "official" information?

chase@Ozona.orc.olivetti.com (David Chase) (11/10/89)

In article <831@uwm.edu> jgd@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick) writes:
>After following for a while the discussion of just what the GNU General
>Public License means, and after becoming moderately confused, I seek some
>good, hard, information.

If it's that important, get a lawyer.  You post from a university --
most of them have someone on staff.  At the least, find some book on
the subject and read it (for example, _Legal Care for your Software_).
Your other choices are (a) steer well clear of GNU software and (b)
stay well within its apparent requirements.  You might also consider
whether the GPL gives you the protection you want (legally) before you
decide to release code/improvements under the GPL (that is, having
contributed, how solid is your protection against future liability
claims?  how solid is your guarantee that someone in the future won't
break the license and appropriate your code?).

>Specifically, is there a published list somewhere of exactly *who* speaks
>for GNU, in an "official" manner.

"Speaks" has nothing to do with it.  What they "say" has nothing at
all to do with your legal rights and obligations.  That which is
written and signed is what counts.  It doesn't matter what Richard
Stallman says; he's not a lawyer and not a judge.  You probably can't
prove that the e-mail came from him, anyhow.

David