[gnu.misc.discuss] Mach 2.5 made exportable

mjs@SAGE.CC.PURDUE.EDU (Michael J Spitzer) (11/30/89)

The November 27 _Unix Today!_ has an article on page 4 regarding Mach,
reporting that DARPA has declared Mach 2.5 "now suitable for general
distribution."  The article states that Mach is no longer subject to
export restrictions.

So, I guess that this removes one of the hurdles that was keeping the
FSF from using Mach.

		-mjs

raulmill@usc.edu (Raul Deluth Rockwell) (12/01/89)

In article <8911300925.AA08682@sage.cc.purdue.edu>
mjs@SAGE.CC.PURDUE.EDU (Michael J Spitzer) writes:

;> The November 27 _Unix Today!_ has an article on page 4 regarding
;> Mach, reporting that DARPA has declared Mach 2.5 "now suitable for
;> general distribution."  The article states that Mach is no longer
;> subject to export restrictions.

;> So, I guess that this removes one of the hurdles that was keeping
;> the FSF from using Mach.

Maybe.

You still need an AT&T Unix Source Code License ($100,000 for
companies, ...) to get the source.  [see article by ross@apollo.HP.COM
in comp.os.mach, "Subject: mach sources (long)"]

I don't think this is the kind of restriction that can go away without
a lot of work.  It has certainly been preventing me from investigating
Mach in any depth.
--

bpalmer@bbn.com (Brian Palmer) (12/01/89)

In article <RAULMILL.89Nov30104942@aludra.usc.edu> raulmill@usc.edu (Raul Deluth Rockwell) writes:
>;> So, I guess that this removes one of the hurdles that was keeping
>;> the FSF from using Mach.
>
>Maybe.
>
>You still need an AT&T Unix Source Code License ($100,000 for
>companies, ...) to get the source.  [see article by ross@apollo.HP.COM
>in comp.os.mach, "Subject: mach sources (long)"]

But the June GNU Bulletin said:

	We hope to use the MACH message passing kernel being developed at
	CMU. The current distributed version of MACH is not free because it
	contains code from BSD of AT&T origin. However, the MACH developers
	have been working to separate this code from the kernel and they
	now say that they have a first version of this running in alpha
	test.  Once this is stable, the MACH kernel is supposed to
	become free.

FSF what's the latest news?!!!

Brian