[gnu.misc.discuss] NAND -- Not ANother DOS

bschwart@elbereth.rutgers.edu (some great stormfowl, whenever he has walked his while) (12/08/89)

If you _really_ want to stick it to the hoarders,
get 'em where it _really_ hurts.  UN*X is elite, but MiSeryDOS
is ubiquitous.  How's about if the FSF or some other outfit
(say the "FPW" I suggest in another article) takes on a "NAND"
project--"Not ANother DOS"?  Something *FREE* that runs
MSDOS and OS/2 programs.  Something with a C compiler and a C++
compiler and a BASIC interpreter and a BASIC compiler and a whole
slew of UN*X-like utilities.  We've got the hard disk space,
you know.

There was a time when everybody had a friend who had developed
a TRS-80 operating system.  Well, everybody get together and
develop a PC operating system.  The utilities must be compilable
under DOS and OS/2, and DOS and OS/2 programs must run on the system,
with perhaps only minor twiddling (such as running them through
a processor that modifies the .exe format slightly).  The project
would resemble the GNU project, at least on the surface.

At least some of the utilities could be taken secondhand from the
GNU project (and thus be bound by the copyleft).  There are some
GNU and other free utilities that come to mind readily:  the GNU
greps, awk, sed, indent; bison; flex; PAX; something using the ZIP format
(that should be a challenge); FreEMACS (if the author is agreeable).

The machines may be smaller, but that makes the challenge greater.
What I've seen done on a miniscule TRS-80 makes me realise that an
IBM-PC operating system can be a moderate marvel, and without being
a memory hog.  (The TRS-80 operating systems used a lot of disk overlays.
48K was enough to run a fairly powerful operating system and applications
programs comfortably.  The better systems let you use memory-based
overlays if you had the room.)

Lets start sharing _good_, _serious_ PC software.  Let's
have a _good_, _real_, _free_ development system.  Let's go
for NAND!

--
Barry Schwartz, Chief SAPsucker                  bbs@cdspr.rutgers.edu
Grad Student, Dept. of Elec. and Comp. Engg.     bschwart@elbereth.rutgers.edu

In article <Dec.8.02.22.48.1989.11490@elbereth.rutgers.edu> bschwart@elbereth.rutgers.edu (some great stormfowl, whenever he has walked his while) writes:

   At least some of the utilities could be taken secondhand from the
   GNU project (and thus be bound by the copyleft).  There are some
   GNU and other free utilities that come to mind readily:  the GNU
   greps, awk, sed, indent; bison; flex; PAX; something using the ZIP format
   (that should be a challenge); FreEMACS (if the author is agreeable).

Freemacs is already covered by the copyleft.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
Live up to the light thou hast, and more will be granted thee.

meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) (12/08/89)

In article <Dec.8.02.22.48.1989.11490@elbereth.rutgers.edu> bschwart@elbereth.rutgers.edu (some great stormfowl, whenever he has walked his while) writes:

|If you _really_ want to stick it to the hoarders,
|get 'em where it _really_ hurts.  UN*X is elite, but MiSeryDOS
|is ubiquitous.  How's about if the FSF or some other outfit
|(say the "FPW" I suggest in another article) takes on a "NAND"
|project--"Not ANother DOS"?  Something *FREE* that runs

While I agree in principle, I'd FAR rather see the effort go into
producing/distributing something that will wipe DOS off the face
of the earth (and OS/2 with it).

Even if that something has to carry the CopyLeft... 8^)

-Miles O'Neal
{yr fave backbone here}!emory!stiatl!meo

raburns%ecotopia@Sun.COM (Randy Burns) (12/09/89)

In article <Dec.8.02.22.48.1989.11490@elbereth.rutgers.edu> bschwart@elbereth.rutgers.edu (some great stormfowl, whenever he has walked his while) writes:

>,
>get 'em where it _really_ hurts.  UN*X is elite, but MiSeryDOS
>is ubiquitous.  How's about if the FSF or some other outfit
>(say the "FPW" I suggest in another article) takes on a "NAND"
>project--"Not ANother DOS"?  Something *FREE* that runs
>MSDOS
I personally think this is really quite an excellent idea,
There are a *lot* of vendors that would jump at the chance to bundle
even a *minimal* OS with there hardware.

Secondly, the job will have to be done eventually if GNU is ever to use
the wide variety of DOS programs that are out there right now.

>and OS/2 programs.
I'd put this at quite a lower priority.

 Something with a C compiler and a C++
>compiler and a BASIC interpreter and a BASIC compiler and a whole
>slew of UN*X-like utilities.  We've got the hard disk space,
>you know.
This might actually advance the industry in a signifcant way,
particularly if there is some kind of nice windowing environment
that would enable a  pre-installed system to do something useful
rapidly-Probably some kind of cross between MS Windows and X would
be nice so that it could be binary compatible with Windows and
support at least some limited X functionality (memory might be tight here).

Even if the customers wanted to run straight, proprietary software
in their shop, having something installed on the system when delivered
could ease the setup process significantly.

bschwart@elbereth.rutgers.edu (some great stormfowl, whenever he has walked his while) (12/09/89)

In article <NELSON.89Dec8093300@image.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>Freemacs is already covered by the copyleft.

This I know.  I was talking of politeness, not legalities.

Oh, I have been getting letters about NAND that seem to miss
the point.  I am not suggesting that MSDOS-OS/2 level PCs are
the wave of the future.  I am suggesting they are fun toys
and would be more fun if we had some well coordinated free
software project going.  There was decent software being turned
out for 8-bit micros well into the age of 16-bit micros.
8-bit micros remained fun.  Also, there is always room for
development software that can reside on prototypes of embedded
systems--so FORTH would be a natural part of the NAND project,
and other such software.

NAND is not GNU.  It is something related, but different.
GNU is out there to produce a professional system.  NAND
is out there to produce a professional quality toy.

No competition intended, Mr. Stallman.  Keep up the good work.

--

In article <128965@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> raburns@sun.UUCP (Randy Burns) writes:

>. . . the job will have to be done eventually if GNU is ever to use
>the wide variety of DOS programs that are out there right now.

I've just had a brainstorm.  This one is for the computer people.
(In case you hadn't noticed, I'm a digital signal processing engineer,
not a computer expert.)

You might face a "look and feel" lawsuit from Sun and crew, but
it is a great idea.

If your computers are all so hot, why not emulate the 8086 on them?
Then GNU can have a MeSsyDOS window just like Roadrunner SunView does.
On 80386 the emulation is particularly easy.

I suggest the sub-DOS not require windows, though.  I'm one of
those who prefer command line OSs and being able to dial in from
anywhere.  (I did mention that my Roadrunner account comes up in
Bash, not SunView, didn't I?)  I'd sure love to be able to call up
"DOS" from home, but you have to be on a SunStation running SunView.

You could call it GNUDOS.

All it takes is a few people who'd like to do it.

	Barry --
		TRS-80 3/4-wizard
		MSDOS getting-to-know-it
		System V 1/10-wizard