[gnu.misc.discuss] Stallman's attitude

meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) (12/07/89)

In article <4598@cadillac.CAD.MCC.COM> ned%cad@MCC.COM (Ned Nowotny) writes:
|>BYTE: Do your restrictions apply if people take pieces of your code to
|>produce other things as well?
|>
|>Stallman: ... The reason you should obey is because an upright person
|>when he distributes software encourages other people to share it further.

|>BYTE: In a sense you are enticing people into this mode of thinking by
|>providing all of these interesting tools that they can use but only if they
|>buy into your philosophy.
|>
|>Stallman: Yes.  You could also see it as using the legal system that
|>software hoarders have set up against them.  I'm using it to protect the
|>public from them.

SO, at least now I have a label. Is this so I know who/what I am,
or is this so that Mr. Stallman THINKS he knows who/what I am, or
is this so that he can convince others of who/what I am? His applying
this label means *absolutely nothing* otherwise, anymore than calling
me a capitalist or communist would.

Why should software be free? Why not hardware? Cars? Telephone calls?
TV? Money? Or anything and everyhting else? Why shouldn't all food be
a labor of love? Are farmers mass murderers for not giving away their
crops because someone out there is hungry?

Mr. Stallman has declared legal war on everyone who writes software
and thinks they should be able to charge for it, but I have yet to
see the justification for this. There may be some - I'm just saying
I haven't seen it.

|Ned Nowotny, MCC CAD Program, Box 200195, Austin, TX  78720  Ph: (512) 338-3715
|ARPA: ned@mcc.com                   UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!ned
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|"We have ways to make you scream." - Intel advertisement in the June 1989 DDJ.

No 286s (other Intel ads, billboards, etc) - that's what I've been saying
ever since the 286 was announced!

-Miles O'Neal
{yr fave backbone here}!emory!stiatl!meo

jym@APPLE.COM (12/07/89)

Great.  Stallman agrees that's he's using copyrights to entice
 people away from software hoarding, and Miles reads this as
  declaring war on software selling.  Yeesh, yeesh, and yeesh
   again.

Why does this mailing list exist?  Apparently so people can try to
 make up reasons to pick fights with RMS, almost invariably by
  not paying attention to the elucidation of the GNU Manifesto.

I'm outta here.  Count me as unsubscribed.
 <_Jym_>

barmar@Think.COM (12/07/89)

In article <8041@stiatl.UUCP> meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:
>Why should software be free? Why not hardware? Cars? Telephone calls?
>TV? Money? Or anything and everyhting else? Why shouldn't all food be
>a labor of love? Are farmers mass murderers for not giving away their
>crops because someone out there is hungry?

Because software is an intangible, and an infinite number of copies can be
made of it.  In the case of physical objects, making two of something
requires twice as much raw material and manufacturing effort as making one
of them.  In order to provide more food, more farmers (or the same number
of farmers working more hours) are needed, not to mention more fertilizer,
pesticide, and storage and trucking capacity.  In telephony, the phone
company needs to provide more cables and switching circuits to handle
increased use.

Software, however, doesn't work this way.  There is no inherent limit to
the number of copies of a program that may be made.  The effort involved in
writing a program is unrelated to the number of copies that are made.
Media distribution has per-unit costs, and that's why the FSF charges $150
to provide a tape of GNU Emacs; they're charging for the media that they
had to purchase, and for the manpower expended to process the request.

Of course, this argument applies to just about everything covered by
copyright law.  For instance, a publisher may print a limited number of
copies of a book, but I'm not depriving anyone of a book by making a
photocopy of a book.  Basically, the purpose of copyright law is to
establish this artificial limit in order to allow the creator to get a
reasonable return.

A difference between software and literature, however, is that software
authors have other means to get income.  When an author finishes writing a
book, he's done everything there is to do, and he deserves some income for
it.  However, a software producer is also a service provider; he can charge
for customer support.  Going back to my above argument, it makes sense to
charge for customer service, because the service provider has a limited
amount of manpower available.  In effect, a book author or artist is
providing the service of providing enjoyment to the reader/viewer; without
copyright law, the only way he could get remuneration from everyone who
makes use of this service would be by requiring them to come to him to
read/view (e.g. by putting a painting in a gallery and charging an entrance
fee).  However, in order to provide this service to more people, many
creators give up their physical control by selling copies (i.e.
publishing).  Their primary service is still the enjoyment of making use of
a copy, so it makes sense for them to be reimbursed by anyone using this
service (in the enjoyment business, someone who makes 1000 people happy
should make more than someone who makes 100 people happy); this is the
purpose of royalties.  Copyright law encourages creative people to give up
physical control of their creations in exchange for legal control of the
creation and use of copies.
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

vcc@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Guest from Vogelback) (12/07/89)

In article <32054@news.Think.COM> barmar@Think.COM writes:
>In article <8041@stiatl.UUCP> meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:
>>Why should software be free? Why not hardware? Cars? Telephone calls?
>>TV? Money? Or anything and everyhting else? Why shouldn't all food be
>>a labor of love? Are farmers mass murderers for not giving away their
>>crops because someone out there is hungry?
>
>A difference between software and literature, however, is that software
>authors have other means to get income.  When an author finishes writing a
>book, he's done everything there is to do, and he deserves some income for
>it.  However, a software producer is also a service provider; he can charge
>for customer support.  Going back to my above argument, it makes sense to
>charge for customer service, because the service provider has a limited
>amount of manpower available.

Yes, but doesn't this kind of thinking encourage those who write software,
under this condition, not to write good code?  I, for one, when I write
code, attempt to write it such that I never need to maintain it.  Needless
to say, I've never been successful on the first try :), but it would seem
that if I wanted to charge for software support and revisions, I'd want not
to write good code so my clients would need to keep me around.  This seems
contrary to all that RMS and FSF are attempting to encourage:  if their
version of emacs were *really* buggy then we'd all have a reason to keep
them in business, right?

Just a random thought.

---
christopher j. chen
northwestern university
christopher@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu

hugo@griggs.dartmouth.edu (Peter Su) (12/07/89)

In article <8041@stiatl.UUCP> meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:
>Why should software be free? Why not hardware? Cars? Telephone calls?
>TV? Money? Or anything and everyhting else? Why shouldn't all food be
>a labor of love? Are farmers mass murderers for not giving away their
>crops because someone out there is hungry?
>
>Mr. Stallman has declared legal war on everyone who writes software
>and thinks they should be able to charge for it, but I have yet to

From where I sit, its not why should software be free, but why should
current software companies get away with the their ridiculous
licensing policies.

Think about it, here I am, putting down say, $400 on Microsoft Word,
or Excel, or Wordperfect or the latest C compiler ($4000 if I'm buying
UNIX software).  I open the box, and what is there?

1) Some "documentation"...you know what I mean.
2) A disk, maybe a tape, total value: $15
3) Some bits on the disk that allow the software to run on my machine.
4) A bogus license which says:
   "You have just paid a huge wad of cash for this software.  We do
not claim that it works, we do not claim that it is useful, we don't
even claim that it does anything that our advertising says it does.
You cannot copy it, you can't fix it yourself if it breaks, you can't
look inside and see how it works (no source code see)."

Now, contrast this with what I get when I buy a TV.

1) Some "documentation"
2) A big metal box with actual parts in it.  Something "material."
3) A (gasp!) WARRANTY...like, the company actually thinks this TV will
work, and will do so for between one and five years!
4) If I open it up, I can in principle figure out how it works, fix it
myself, take it apart, put it back together.  Normal people can't do
this, that's what dealers are for.

My point is this:  If you software guys expect me to pay my money for
software it had better have a god damn warranty on it, it had better
have source code, and it had better have decent support.  Not this
namby pamby phone support bullshit, but someone who can come out and
fix the bugs, who knows how the box works, who has seen source code
once or twice in his/her life.  Otherwise, if you want to give me
software sans warranty, with all those restrictions, what right do YOU
have to expect ME to PAY for it?  You couldn't give it to me free.

Now, while I agree with what RMS is doing in principle, I am not quite
as radical as he is.  I am perfectly willing to allow folks to
charge for their software, and restrict its distribution as long as
the product they sell, and the support they give is comparable to what
is available in other industries in terms of reliability and quality.
Right now, commercial software is about as reliable as a balsa wood
bridge spanning the Hudson river.

To sum up, I'm rooting for RMS, and hope that I can support what he is
doing.  Just the fact that the source code is available is enough for
me to overlook the "restrictions" that he places on its distribution.
I like user-maintainable software, I'm funny that way.

Cheers,
Pete
hugo@sunapee.dartmouth.edu

In article <8041@stiatl.UUCP> meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:

| Mr. Stallman has declared legal war on everyone who writes software
| and thinks they should be able to charge for it, but I have yet to
| see the justification for this. There may be some - I'm just saying
| I haven't seen it.

  I think you're overstating a bit. Richard has his own paradigm for how
software should be written and distributed. It is essentially a "no
binary without source" model.

  The major problem I've had with FSF is that some hardware vendors are
now using gcc as their standard C compiler. This is fine, but if they
use the FSF C library, and you compile and link using it, then your
executable contains FSF code and is (supposedly) covered by the GNU
diatribe. Er, copyleft. If you don't know this you can suddenly lose
control of your own software. I don't know if this has ever happened,
but would not use gcc for certain things. If it's the only compiler on a
given machine, I would avoid the machine. While FSF has the right to do
what they want, I would think that a vendor would clarify the status of
the library they ship.

  I have tried several times to talk to him about allowing distribution
of binary without source if the binary is given away with no
restrictions on redistribution (ie. not for profit), but he simply calls
this "software hoarding" and doesn't want to permit it.
that the world is flat!" - anon

jat@ranger.austin.ibm.com (John Tamplin) (12/08/89)

In article <8041@stiatl.UUCP> meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:
>Why should software be free? Why not hardware? Cars? Telephone calls?
>TV? Money? Or anything and everyhting else? Why shouldn't all food be
>a labor of love? Are farmers mass murderers for not giving away their
>crops because someone out there is hungry?

Software is a manifestation of knowledge.  The utility of software to
a person is not diminished by another also having the software.  TV is
a case where the public doesn't pay for it -- advertisers who like what
the product (the movie, event, etc) represents and the audience it reaches
subisidize the program.  Software can work the same way.  All of the other
examples you gave cost the provider to provide more.

>Mr. Stallman has declared legal war on everyone who writes software
>and thinks they should be able to charge for it, but I have yet to
>see the justification for this. There may be some - I'm just saying
>I haven't seen it.

Legal war?  All FSF is doing is promoting their own ideas and backing them
up with action.  If you think this is war, then so is every aspect of the
free market.  The market will decide which idea will survive.  If nobody
agrees with FSF and decides not to use their products, it will go away.
If nobody wants to pay outrageous prices for commercial software, they will
have to change or they will go away.

>-Miles O'Neal
>{yr fave backbone here}!emory!stiatl!meo

John Tamplin

raulmill@usc.edu (Raul Deluth Rockwell) (12/08/89)

In article <8041@stiatl.UUCP> meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:

;> Mr. Stallman has declared legal war on everyone who writes software
;> and thinks they should be able to charge for it, but I have yet to
;> see the justification for this. There may be some - I'm just saying
;> I haven't seen it.

Not even!  Mr. Stallman charges for software.  (or hadn't you
noticed?  8^)

On the other hand, have you ever tried to fix something which requires
you have an At&T Source Code License?  Or how about Sun's statement of
the form: "If you use this software you have implictly agreed not to
look at the object code or reverse engineer it."

In article <17799@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> hugo@griggs (Peter Su) writes:

| My point is this:  If you software guys expect me to pay my money for
| software it had better have a god damn warranty on it, it had better
| have source code, and it had better have decent support.  Not this
| namby pamby phone support bullshit, but someone who can come out and
| fix the bugs, who knows how the box works, who has seen source code
| once or twice in his/her life.  Otherwise, if you want to give me
| software sans warranty, with all those restrictions, what right do YOU
| have to expect ME to PAY for it?  You couldn't give it to me free.

  Do note that the support for GNU is not free, unless you are a
hobbyist. The time you spend on software cost your company money. Are
you aware that Michael Tiemann, author of gc++, is forming a company
which will sell support for GNU products, fix bugs, add features, and
the stuff which you could do youself if you work for free? Going price
for support is about $100k/year.

  The point is that when people demand support someone will sell it,
when people think a product cost too much they won't buy it. The free
market works nicely, and without anyone telling us how we "must" do
things for the common good. If FSF wants to give away software, great!
If people see it as an alternative to commercial software the price of
commercial software will come down. That's the way it should work. It's
the idea of telling someone that they are not allowed to sell their work
which I don't buy... if there is no way to make money writing software
we are going to need more rich people who can afford to write it for
nothing, and there aren't many out there.

that the world is flat!" - anon

rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) (12/08/89)

meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:
>Mr. Stallman has declared legal war on everyone who writes software
>and thinks they should be able to charge for it, but I have yet to
>see the justification for this. There may be some - I'm just saying
>I haven't seen it.

Justify it?  what for?  He can just do it, period.  No one has to justify
going into business - which is what RMS & FSF have done.  They are
competing on price, and they've set the price @ $0.00.  A free enterprise
system encourages competition and improved efficiency.  It seems to be
working fine.

So meet the competition he has created on price, or beat it on some
other facet (service, functionality, use your imagination).  Software
has become a commodity.  Tough cheese for the people out there who
thought they could get big margins by creating an artificial scarcity.

	Ross

rodney@dali.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) (12/08/89)

cjc> In article <32054@news.Think.COM> barmar@Think.COM writes:
>In article <8041@stiatl.UUCP> meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:
>>Why should software be free? Why not hardware? Cars? Telephone calls?
>>TV? Money? Or anything and everyhting else? Why shouldn't all food be
>>a labor of love? Are farmers mass murderers for not giving away their
>>crops because someone out there is hungry?
>
>A difference between software and literature, however, is that software
>authors have other means to get income.  When an author finishes writing a
>book, he's done everything there is to do, and he deserves some income for
>it.  However, a software producer is also a service provider; he can charge
>for customer support.  Going back to my above argument, it makes sense to
>charge for customer service, because the service provider has a limited
>amount of manpower available.

cjc> Yes, but doesn't this kind of thinking encourage those who write software,
cjc> under this condition, not to write good code?  I, for one, when I write
cjc> code, attempt to write it such that I never need to maintain it.  Needless
cjc> to say, I've never been successful on the first try :), but it would seem
cjc> that if I wanted to charge for software support and revisions, I'd want not
cjc> to write good code so my clients would need to keep me around.  This seems
cjc> contrary to all that RMS and FSF are attempting to encourage:  if their
cjc> version of emacs were *really* buggy then we'd all have a reason to keep
cjc> them in business, right?

No, because there would be other people like myself who would write
code that works and would quickly put you and your bug ridden greedy
code out of business.

--
Rodney

phil@unicorn.WWU.EDU (Phil Nelson) (12/08/89)

In article <1889@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
> It's
> the idea of telling someone that they are not allowed to sell their work
> which I don't buy... if there is no way to make money writing software
> we are going to need more rich people who can afford to write it for
> nothing, and there aren't many out there.

I'm sure Stallman is not telling anyone they are not allowed to sell
their work.  In fact, people sell their work to FSF!  But FSF is not
in the business of SUPPORTING software products that are not "free"
by the FSF definition.  So you can create software and sell only
binaries, etc, BUT you can't include in that software anything from
FSF!

-----
Phil Nelson (phil@unicorn.wwu.edu) at Western Washington University.

meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) (12/08/89)

Several people have suggested that (a) hardware SHOULD cost, because
it costs the producer, whereas software does not, and that (b) it's
ok to charge for support but not the software.

A) Even after you remove the "bought physical resources" in hardware,
   someone has to design, build, test, etc, the product, and any
   number of people then may make a profit on it, including but
   not limited to: owners, officers, engineers, technicians, sales
   people, marketeers, lawyers, secretaries, janitors, shippers,
   the phone company, various governments, sanitation engineers ( 8^),
   assembly line personnel, etc. These types of things are the case
   with software, as well, or have their counterparts.

   To have a software shop that will make me a living, I have to have
   (at a minimum) space, a computer, development software, utilities,
   and money to pay the bills to produce the product that will pay the
   bills in the future (or invest personal time away from family and
   friends after working a full time job).

   To expect that the only right choice is for me to then GIVE AWAY
   that software is patently ridiculous, IMO. If Richard Stallman,
   or anyone else, chooses to do so, that's fine. To state that it's
   immoral for someone else NOT to do so (and RMS has done just that)
   is somewhere between ludicrous and immoral.

B) Since support is essentially the same as software (ie, mostly time,
   experience and knowledge), this argument makes no sense to me. Why
   shouldn't the support be free, as well?

As to the person who mentioned the warranty problem, I wholeheartedly
agree. It's one of the severe problems I have with (for example) the U.S.
auto industry. For the price of the stupid "extended" warranty, they could
do a whole lot more right the FIRST time.

If my software gets to market, I fully intend to blow most of the current
warranties out of the water.

Finally, I am not opposed to free software. Some of what I write is for
free distribution - some of it is for making a living. In fact, there's
a good metaphor here. The same thing applies to a lot of musicians. So
why shouldn't music be free? While I have a rather low opinion of the
entertainment/media in general, and find it silly that various crazed
people can become millionaires overnight by playing on teenager's
emotions, I certainly wouldn't try to ban them from making their money
that way.

-Miles

jb3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon Allen Boone) (12/08/89)

vcc@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Guest from Vogelback) writes:
> Yes, but doesn't this kind of thinking encourage those who write software,
> under this condition, not to write good code?  I, for one, when I write
> code, attempt to write it such that I never need to maintain it.  Needless
> to say, I've never been successful on the first try :), but it would seem
> that if I wanted to charge for software support and revisions, I'd want not
> to write good code so my clients would need to keep me around.  This seems
> contrary to all that RMS and FSF are attempting to encourage:  if their
> version of emacs were *really* buggy then we'd all have a reason to keep
> them in business, right?

Well, if you are simply programming for the money, then truly it will
be a program.  However, if i were to ever put out a program, i would
like to make it best i could possibly make it.  Call it pride in
workmanship or whatever, but i wouldn't *want* to put out buggy code.
However, as has been pointed out on another list, creating
applications that can be used by the computer-(il)literate masses is
much more difficult than writing software for people who know how to
use computers (the basic premise behind the macintoy standard
interface).   No matter how good you are at coding, you are highly
unlikely to produce code that everyone can use without some sort of
aid (assumedly by you).

> Just a random thought.
>
> ---
> christopher j. chen
> northwestern university
> christopher@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu

iain the flippant | You'll PAY To Know What You REALLY Think |
jb3o@andrew.cmu.edu(INTERNET) | Your MIND Left Intentionally Blank |
R746JB3O@cmccvb(BITNET) | SCIENCE DOES NOT REMOVE THE TERROR OF THE GODS|
disclaimer: anything I say may be wrong - I don't represent anyone but me

barmar@Think.COM (12/09/89)

In article <1912@accuvax.nwu.edu> vcc@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Guest from Vogelback) writes:
> if I wanted to charge for software support and revisions, I'd want not
>to write good code so my clients would need to keep me around.  This seems
>contrary to all that RMS and FSF are attempting to encourage:  if their
>version of emacs were *really* buggy then we'd all have a reason to keep
>them in business, right?

No.  If you had a choice, would you choose the author of an extremely buggy
program to maintain it?  Sure, he knows the program better than anyone
else, but he seems like a lousy programmer.  Since FSF provides source
code, you can find a *good* programmer to fix it up.  Also, since you
didn't have to pay for the program, you don't feel a major loss if you have
to toss it out because it doesn't satisfy your needs.

Also, maintenance is not just fixing bugs, it's also enhancements (no
matter how good a programmer you are, you won't think of all the possible
features).  Customers probably aren't going to bother asking for lots of
enhancements to a lousy program (and certainly not from the lousy
programmer who wrote it).  If the program is good, the users will want to
use it more and will want it to do more.

By the way, my father once had a programmer in his company's computer
department (which consisted of one senior programmer, one junior programmer
(this guy), an operator and some keypunch operators) with the above
attitude.  He did some contract work on the side, and told me outright that
he intentionally put bugs in his contract code so that he would have job
security.  The guy was not really very sharp, so I was hardly surprised at
his behavior.

In article <1885@crdos1.crd.ge.COM] davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
]if they
]use the FSF C library, and you compile and link using it, then your
]executable contains FSF code and is (supposedly) covered by the GNU
]diatribe. Er, copyleft.

I didn't think there *was* a GNU C library.

In article <8078@stiatl.UUCP> meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:
>   To have a software shop that will make me a living, I have to have
>   (at a minimum) space, a computer, development software, utilities,
>   and money to pay the bills to produce the product that will pay the
>   bills in the future (or invest personal time away from family and
>   friends after working a full time job).

But to sell the software to twice as many people you don't need twice as
much space, two computers, etc.  So why do you need to receive twice as
much money if twice as many people want to use the software?  Where is the
unit cost that justifies the unit price?

>   To expect that the only right choice is for me to then GIVE AWAY
>   that software is patently ridiculous, IMO. If Richard Stallman,
>   or anyone else, chooses to do so, that's fine. To state that it's
>   immoral for someone else NOT to do so (and RMS has done just that)
>   is somewhere between ludicrous and immoral.

Well, Stallman is living proof that it's possible to make a living in the
software business without selling software.  FSF sells computer
distribution services, and individual GNU programmers sell consulting
services, but they give the software away.

>B) Since support is essentially the same as software (ie, mostly time,
>   experience and knowledge), this argument makes no sense to me. Why
>   shouldn't the support be free, as well?

If support only means that the customers will get an update when you feel
like distributing it, your argument is correct; in this case, "support" is
just a subscription service.  Many software vendors provide this kind of
service at little or no fee.

But real support means answering user's questions, processing bug reports,
sending them immediate fixes to serious problems, and perhaps providing
consulting services.  It takes more time to provide this kind of support to
more people, and there are only so many hours in a day.  Supporting one
customer may take away time from another customer.  If you have enough
support customers you may need to hire additional people to help.  Since
there is marginal cost for each customer you support it makes sense to
charge each a fee.

>why shouldn't music be free?

I think the argument I gave about authors in my previous posting applies to
music composers as well.  Unless the composer is also a performer, he
doesn't really have any other avenues to pursue in his field to make a
living.  If all he does is compose, and music were free, how could he make
a living?  (Well, RMS would like to see the government paying programmers
to produce free software, so I guess the government could also pay
composers, artists, writers, etc. -- in other words, composers should be
paid by the NEA, and the music would be free.)

rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) (12/11/89)

barmar@Think.COM writes:
>In article <8078@stiatl.UUCP> meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:
>>why shouldn't music be free?
[...]
>a living?  (Well, RMS would like to see the government paying programmers
>to produce free software, so I guess the government could also pay
>composers, artists, writers, etc. -- in other words, composers should be
>paid by the NEA, and the music would be free.)

We do that in Canada, it's called the Canadian Arts Council, and is
considered eminently respectable.  We also have socialist governments
from time to time, and socialist medicine.  Somehow this runs in
parallel with a private market economy just fine.  Americans can be _so_
ethnocentric! 100 * :-). (So can we Canuks, mind).

	Ross