[gnu.misc.discuss] State-enforced monopoly

merlin@smu.edu (David Hayes) (12/15/89)

Barry Shein (bzs@world.std.com) writes:
> > But at what point have the software vendors really established state
> > enforced monopoly businesses?

> When you can't write your own version of their software and sell it or
> give it away. Ask a hard one.

So it's OK for me to write my own version of some program and I can either
sell it or give it away.  Let's see....

I could write a database program, but Ashton-Tate would sue me if it
used a command language that looked like dbase.  I could write a spreadsheet
program, but Lotus Development Corporation would be upset if it looked
too much like 1-2-3.  Or I could write a graphical interface, but heaven
help me if it happens to have a trash can on the screen.

Look-and-feel gives too much away.  I'll grant you that Apple has the right
to do whatever they want to with the code they wrote.  They can sell it,
or give it away, or package it in a little ROM chip and say you have to
buy one of their computers to get it.  Fine.  I draw the line, though,
when Apple, or Lotus, or Ashton-Tate, or anyone else, tells me I can't
write my own program to do the same thing.

We give copyrights to promote invention and the arts, because these
things are socially beneficial.  What Apple et. al. are presently
doing is not socially beneficial.  It actively retards the development
of computing.  If the software companies want to stay ahead in the
marketplace, let them turn to their R&D department instead
of their legal department.

David Hayes	School of Engineering	Southern Methodist University
merlin@smu.edu	uunet!smu!merlin
"Here's a test to see if your job here on Earth is finished:  If you're
still here, it isn't."  -- Richard Bach, _Illusions_