[gnu.misc.discuss] The meaning of FREE in FSF

baud@eedsp.eedsp.gatech.edu (Kurt Baudendistel) (12/22/89)

Having read some misinformation on this topic recently in this group,
I have to set the record straight:-)

  The ``free'' in Free Software Foundation does NOT mean ``free of
  charge.'' The copyleft does NOT require you to give away software
  to all comers for no charge.

  The copyleft does require you to give all rights to any software
  that you sell to your customer. This includes the right to the source
  code (you must supply it to your customer) as well as the right to
  sell the source (the customer can resell the product or give it
  away as he likes).  This means that copylefted software is ``free''
  of encumberences, except for the ``encumberence'' that the software,
  or any derivatives of it, must remain ``free'' of encumberences.

  As a matter of practicality, once you ``sell'' some copylefted
  software, your customer can ``sell'' it as well and is instantly
  your competitor (for selling that software, that is). In fact,
  your customer can give it away if s/he likes.  So as a pratical
  matter, you can only (really) sell support services for copylefted
  material, unless your customers are nice to you and don't ``take
  advantage of you,'' whatever that means.

How do I know all of this? If you read the GPL carefully (and get some
straight answers from appropriate sources about what it really says),
you too will come to the realizations outlined above.

Maybe FSF should change its name to the Unencumbered Software Foundation
(coined by manis@cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis)) so that there is no more
confusion on this topic?

kurt
--
Kurt Baudendistel --- GRA
Georgia Tech, School of Electrical Engineering, Atlanta, GA  30332

manis@cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) (12/22/89)

In article <696@eedsp.eedsp.gatech.edu> baud@eedsp.eedsp.gatech.edu
(Kurt Baudendistel) writes:

>Maybe FSF should change its name to the Unencumbered Software Foundation
>(coined by manis@cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis)) so that there is no more
>confusion on this topic?

I must respectfully decline the honour. I didn't coin this phrase
(though I like it a lot: it reminds me that, according to Jonathan
Swift, the Laputans were engaged in a product to extract light from
cucumbers. Next to that, the zaniest software licence is common sense).

However, there are two views of unencumbrance [sic]: either you can do
with the code what you want, or you cannot prevent a customer from doing
with the code what s/he wants. Those who decry the GPL subscribe to the
first view, while FSF argues for the second. There have certainly been
times when I refused to use an FSF product for something because of the
licence agreement, but there have been many more times when I have used
their products in the way that the GPL specifies. Does being able to see
both sides of the issue make me a wimp?

--
\    Vincent Manis <manis@cs.ubc.ca>      "There is no law that vulgarity and
 \   Department of Computer Science      literary excellence cannot coexist."

scs@iti.org (Steve Simmons) (12/22/89)

manis@cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) writes:

>In article <696@eedsp.eedsp.gatech.edu> baud@eedsp.eedsp.gatech.edu
>(Kurt Baudendistel) writes:

>>Maybe FSF should change its name to the Unencumbered Software Foundation
>>(coined by manis@cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis)) so that there is no more
>>confusion on this topic?

>I must respectfully decline the honour. I didn't coin this phrase
>(though I like it a lot: it reminds me that, according to Jonathan
>Swift, the Laputans were engaged in a product to extract light from
>cucumbers. Next to that, the zaniest software licence is common sense).

Gee thanks!  I think *I* coined it, in a followup to Vincent Manis'
posting in this thread.  First time I've ever been compared to Swift.

>However, there are two views of unencumbrance [sic]: either you can do
>with the code what you want, or you cannot prevent a customer from doing
>with the code what s/he wants.

I disagree with the latter simple meaning of the word 'encumberance' --
the FSF is placing restrictions on the software so that I cannot do
"what I want" with it.  As such, it is encumbered.  One may argue endlessly
(particularly in this group :-) as to the rightness or wrongness of the
encumberance, but it remains an encumberance.

>Does being able to see both sides of the issue make me a wimp?

"Human, all too human."  Robert Heinlein.