[gnu.misc.discuss] is the world ending, or what?

mrm%puffin@Sun.COM (Marianne Mueller Kreuscher) (12/15/89)

The radio says Xerox is suing Apple for stealing the Star/Smalltalk
user interface for the Macinstosh.

The announcer quotes some Apple spokesworm as saying that
"applications can be copyrighted, but ideas can't."

Gosh, this warrants a purchase of the Murky News!  (San Jose Mercury
News.)

bschwart@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Computers are toys) (12/17/89)

In article <129294@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> mrm@sun.UUCP (Marianne Mueller Kreuscher) writes:
>The radio says Xerox is suing Apple for stealing the Star/Smalltalk
>user interface for the Macinstosh.

One hopes they win and one hopes they lose.

Of course they are not doing it for vengeance--which
would be nice--but rather because they smell green.
Sigh.

I think a better name for Apple would be "Rancid Cider".

--
Barry Schwartz, Chief SAPsucker                  bbs@cdspr.rutgers.edu
Grad Student, Dept. of Elec. and Comp. Engg.     bschwart@elbereth.rutgers.edu

lwall@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Larry Wall) (12/28/89)

bschwart@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Computers are toys) writes:
: In article <129294@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> mrm@sun.UUCP (Marianne Mueller Kreuscher) writes:
: >The radio says Xerox is suing Apple for stealing the Star/Smalltalk
: >user interface for the Macinstosh.
:
: One hopes they win and one hopes they lose.

If Xerox loses in the right way, it could cost Apple more in the long run
than if Xerox wins.  Let's not let grudges interfere with logic or principle.

If Apple is smart they'll settle out of court for an undisclosed amount.

If they do, I hope it's REALLY BIG!!!  [Now that's logic.]

Larry Wall
lwall@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov