[gnu.misc.discuss] FRILL

raulmill@usc.edu (Raul Deluth Rockwell) (12/22/89)

In many articles, [various people] write:
>>> If I link with GNU I can't redistribute it the way I want.
>> So link with your own code.
> Ick.

If there really is such an incredible demand for unencumbered linking
libraries, it seems like sooner or later someone will write some 8^)

However, since there are a number of good reasons for 'later' rather
than 'sooner', and since there is an incredible volume of slightly
heated traffic on the subject, here is my immodest proposal:

(1) Design an elegant set of linking libraries which can be used in
    the place of GNU's.

(2) Write them.

(3) Work out an acceptable set of distribution terms (e.g. freely
    redistributable, $100000 per copy license fee, only on alternate
    Tuesdays, whatever...).

(4) Distribute them.

The current law of the land is, roughly: "He who writes the code gets
to make the distribution rules."  I like it that way, and I expect
most of you do as well.

Aside:  That linked libraries must be distributed with code is as
least as much a technical detail as it is a moral issue.

--
Raul Rockwell
INTERNET:   raulmill@usc.edu                       !

raulmill@usc.edu (Raul Deluth Rockwell) (12/23/89)

In article <RAULMILL.89Dec21114548@aludra.usc.edu> raulmill@usc.edu (Raul Deluth Rockwell) writes:
   [... cancel that, you didn't really want to read that stuff
   anyways, did you? ...]

A short time after I made that posting, somebody wrote me to say that
I am already too late, that there is already at least one group
working on creating freely redistributable ANSI/POSIX linked libraries
for C.  Oh well 8^)

Of course, these routines aren't all written yet, nor are they ready
for distribution, which makes them almost exact (drop-in 8^)
replacements for the GNU libraries.  That ought to make Everybody happy!

   [meanwhile, back at the ranch]

The whole issue of distribution of linked libraries seems a bit
short-term to me.  It only applies to linking prior to distribution (a
rather arcane concept).  There is also installation-time linking (I
seem to remember NEXT using this as a belated workaround of GPL) and
run-time linking (I don't suppose you've ever heard of the Amiga?  No?
How about Multics?  No?  Maybe SunOS (v4)?  No?  I'm sure there are
other examples 8^).

I can just see it:  $100000000 lawsuit charging for infringement of
copyright, seems somebody wrote some libraries for C which are
identical to somebody elses.  Happens that both are a set of calls to
a dynamic (run-time) library.

You can't prevent silliness in everybody, at times you can only work
around it.

--

chase@Ozona.orc.olivetti.com (David Chase) (01/11/90)

In article <RAULMILL.89Dec22084945@aludra.usc.edu> raulmill@usc.edu (Raul Deluth Rockwell) writes:
>A short time after I made that posting, somebody wrote me to say that
>I am already too late, that there is already at least one group
>working on creating freely redistributable ANSI/POSIX linked libraries
>for C.  Oh well 8^)
>
>Of course, these routines aren't all written yet, nor are they ready
>for distribution, which makes them almost exact (drop-in 8^)
>replacements for the GNU libraries.

Actually, I'm fairly certain that there's various implementations
available under various circumstances.  For instance, I know of one
ANSI-C library that was portable and functioning (based on some draft
from X3J11) about mid-way through 1988, but since its ownership was
not clear, it was judged not worth the effort to try to do anything
with it.  But, they are real, and even come with their own test suite.

David