[gnu.misc.discuss] gas for Convex 2xx?

daniel@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/09/90)

 I have unsuccessfully been trying to get g++ installed on a Convex 220
 for some time.  I suppose I haven't searched hard enough and tried
 enough things, but I can't get the FASCIST_ASSEMBLER definition to do
 any good (appearently).  A different solution would be to get gas
 running on the Convex.  I heard it has been done.  There is the
 problem, though, that Convex uses COFF format and I don't imagine I
 could easily train gas to produce this format.

 Any suggestions?  Is there a COFF producing gas for the Convex?

 Thanks,
 Daniel Pommert.
 pommert@uiuc.edu

jthomp@wintermute.Central.Sun.COM (Jim Thompson) (02/12/90)

In article <1026500003@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> daniel@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> I have unsuccessfully been trying to get g++ installed on a Convex 220
> for some time.  I suppose I haven't searched hard enough and tried
> enough things, but I can't get the FASCIST_ASSEMBLER definition to do
> any good (appearently).  A different solution would be to get gas
> running on the Convex.  I heard it has been done.  There is the
> problem, though, that Convex uses COFF format and I don't imagine I
> could easily train gas to produce this format.

Yes.  Contact Chris Smith (csmith@convex.com) for the specifics.
I don't remember if the assignments for gas were ever given
back to the FSF however.

> Any suggestions?  Is there a COFF producing gas for the Convex?

One nit;  Convex uses 'SOFF' format executables, not COFF.
A few of the structure names are changed, amoung other things.

If my memory serves, the only GNU utility not running on the Convex
is the loader.

Jim

Jim Thompson - Network Engineering - Sun Microsystems -	jthomp@central.sun.com
Charter Member - Fatalistic International Society for Hedonistic Youth (FISHY)
"Confusing yourself is a way to stay honest."	-Jenny Holzer