[gnu.misc.discuss] gas for Sequent Symmetry?

daniel@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/09/90)

I have been trying to get g++ running on a Sequent Symmetry.  When I
went to compile libg++-1.36.3, I got an assembler error compiling
builtin.cc so I installed gas (as /usr/local/lib/gcc-as).  The library
then completely compiled with no problem but when ranlib looked at it,
it complained:
	. . . . . .  . . .  . .. ... . . .
	gcc -I/usr/gnu/lib/gcc-include -I/usr/include -I/cso/staff/daniel/Gnu/libg++-1.36.3/g++-include -g -O -fstrength-reduce -fdelayed-branch  -Wall  -pipe -c gnulib3.c
gnulib3.c: In function __main:
gnulib3.c:69: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
	rm -f libg++.a
	ar r libg++.a AllocRing.o builtin.o File.o  stream.o streambuf.o  PlotFile.o  SFile.o  Obstack.o  regex.o String.o  Integer.o Rational.o Complex.o  BitSet.o BitString.o Random.o  RNG.o ACG.o MLCG.o Sample.o  Fix.o Fix16.o Fix24.o Curses.o GetOpt.o EH.o  malloc.o  gnulib3.o
ar: creating libg++.a
	ranlib libg++.a
ranlib: libg++.a(AllocRing.o): old NS32000 format .o file
*** Error code 1
Make: .  Stop.
*** Error code 1
Make: .  Stop.

How do I get gas to produce the correct .o file format?

-- Daniel Pommert.
 pommert@uiuc.edu

cudep@warwick.ac.uk (Ian Dickinson) (02/23/90)

In article <1026500002@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> daniel@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I have been trying to get g++ running on a Sequent Symmetry.  When I
>went to compile libg++-1.36.3, I got an assembler error compiling
>builtin.cc so I installed gas (as /usr/local/lib/gcc-as).  The library
>then completely compiled with no problem but when ranlib looked at it,
>it complained:
> ranlib: libg++.a(AllocRing.o): old NS32000 format .o file
>How do I get gas to produce the correct .o file format?

It looks like AllocRing.o was compiled on a Sequent Balance machine,
rather than a Sequent Symmetry....
If you clean up the .o files and start again you may get lucky.....
Alternatively, mebbe you have gcc-as configured to produce Balance code?

Hope I haven't just been talking crud!
Hokay,
--
\/ato.  *NIX gives good head.  Support the FSF.  Plinth.  Sabeq.  Brick.  Log.
vato@uk.ac.warwick{,.cu,.cs}              "We shall fight with the most deadly