[gnu.misc.discuss] The purpose of info-gcc.

bitbug@lonewolf.sun.com (James Buster) (03/01/90)

How about the creation of a new newsgroup, gnu.design.discuss?
The purpose of this newgroup would be to discuss design and
implementation strategies for the various portions of GNU.
A netwide think tank, if you will. Also, the designers of the GNU
utilities might post their ideas for public perusal.

This is more of a "way things should be" group, unlike (for instance)
gnu.gcc, which discusses the way things are. What do the readers of
this group think?
        James Buster		(Domain) bitbug@lonewolf.ebay.sun.com
  Mad Hacker Extraordinaire	(UUCP)   ...!sun.com!lonewolf!bitbug

skyhawk@milton.acs.washington.edu (Scott Northrop) (03/01/90)

In article <35328@grapevine.EBay.Sun.COM> bitbug@lonewolf.sun.com (James Buster) writes:
>How about the creation of a new newsgroup, gnu.design.discuss?

I fail to see why gnu.misc.discuss is not adequate for design
discussions.  It's there, why not use it?
--
Scott Northrop   scott@fred.cs.washington.edu, skyhawk@maven.u.washington.edu

In article <2201@milton.acs.washington.edu> skyhawk@milton.acs.washington.edu (Scott Northrop) writes:
>In article <35328@grapevine.EBay.Sun.COM> bitbug@lonewolf.sun.com (James Buster) writes:
>>How about the creation of a new newsgroup, gnu.design.discuss?
>
>I fail to see why gnu.misc.discuss is not adequate for design
>discussions.  It's there, why not use it?

Because gnu.misc.discuss seems primarily for political discussions.
I want a newsgroup exclusively for software design issues. Politics
has its place, and it isn't there.

tower@AI.MIT.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (03/02/90)

   Date: 1 Mar 90 08:21:13 GMT
   From: wuarchive!texbell!texsun!newstop!grapevine!bitbug@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu  (James Buster)

   In article <2201@milton.acs.washington.edu> skyhawk@milton.acs.washington.edu (Scott Northrop) writes:
   >In article <35328@grapevine.EBay.Sun.COM> bitbug@lonewolf.sun.com (James Buster) writes:
   >>How about the creation of a new newsgroup, gnu.design.discuss?
   >
   >I fail to see why gnu.misc.discuss is not adequate for design
   >discussions.  It's there, why not use it?

   Because gnu.misc.discuss seems primarily for political discussions.
   I want a newsgroup exclusively for software design issues. Politics
   has its place, and it isn't there.

gnu.misc.discuss is an appropriate forum for technical discussions.

It be very nice if they drown out the flaming, which is what the large
part of the political discussions here have been.

If technical discussions get to have a significant volume here for a
significant amount of time, we'll (the gnUSENET newsgroups and GNU
Project mailing list coordinatoors), will consider adding a new group
for them.

thanx -len