[gnu.misc.discuss] Gcc-386 under MSDOS? 8-)

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (06/27/90)

In article <641@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) writes:

   I know there is a 386/UNIX version from wfs@sally.utexas.edu, but:
   Has anyone ever ported GNU's gcc-386 compiler to run under MSDOS?

This is *impossible*, or at least very difficult.

   Heaven forbid, if they have, does anyone have the executables, etc.?

You can file transfer from from the System V/386 archive on
sequent.kent.edu, but they miss the one fundamental thing.

   [stop laughing 8-)]

I am not laughing. Tha above contradictory statements are because some
quite brilliant people in a nordic university run all the GNU things on
a 386 *almost* under DOS, even if it impossible, because they have
written a System V emulator that runs under DOS in protected mode. In
this way you can run virtually all System V 386 binaries under the
emulator under DOS, including the GNu compilers, by saying something
like 'xv gcc' (or even, apparently, 'xv emacs').

I think that they could either publish their 'xv' command, or somebody
else can rewrite it -- I think that it is not difficult, after all
emulating the SVID convincingly enough under DOS is not difficult, and
there are some examples of how to set up protected mode applications
under DOS, by tweaking the memory maps.

--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

metz@iam.unibe.ch (Igor Metz) (06/28/90)

In article <PCG.90Jun27174632@odin.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:

>In article <641@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) writes:
>
>   I know there is a 386/UNIX version from wfs@sally.utexas.edu, but:
>   Has anyone ever ported GNU's gcc-386 compiler to run under MSDOS?
>
>This is *impossible*, or at least very difficult.

If I remember well, somebody from Japan announced that they have ported GNU
stuff to MS-DOS (using some extended memory manager). The person said, that
she/he will send the code/binaries to rms. Any news about that?

--
Igor Metz
Institut fuer Informatik und angew. Mathematik, Universitaet Bern, Switzerland.

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (06/28/90)

In article <PCG.90Jun27174632@odin.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
>>In article <641@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) writes:
>>   I know there is a 386/UNIX version from wfs@sally.utexas.edu, but:
>>   Has anyone ever ported GNU's gcc-386 compiler to run under MSDOS?
>This is *impossible*, or at least very difficult.

This *appears* to not be impossible.  It appears that an "mjr@tut.fi"
authored  a version of gcc that will run under msdos on a 386 with at
least 4Mb of ram. There was also a statement made that it would be put
on anon ftp "real soon now."

Unfortunately, it appears that "mjr@tut.fi" is now a black hole (even tut.fi
appears barren).

If anyone has a lead on who/where "mjr@tut.fi" is, please emil or post.
Thanks.

PS: I, and I would assume many others, would also be interested in the
"xv" emulator mentioned in this posting.