[gnu.misc.discuss] Feedback on Computer Crime

jbw@zeb.uswest.com (Joe Wells) (08/14/90)

In article <1990Aug13.183623.25045@comm.wang.com> lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) writes:

   peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
   >They [ NeXT ] use separate, individual GNU programs. That's a small
   >subset of possible ways someone can use my code. They can use it as a
   >library routine, for example (in fact, that's how they're using it).
   >With GNU code if you can't somehow package it into a separate
   >executable you lose.

	   Well, not exactly.  If you can't package it into a separate
	   executable, you have to distribute your additions to the
	   whole world.  Not exactly the same as saying that you can't
	   do it, only that you have to share.  More like, "if you want
	   to use what we give you, you've got to give us what you've
	   done, and let us do with it as we wish."

The Free Software Foundation is considering distributing their libraries
with a more lenient license.  If/when they do this, you will be able to
distribute a binary linked with their libraries as long as you distribute
object modules for the non-GNU portion so that the users can relink.

Note, this will only apply to GNU's libraries.

	   No, you're not allowed to charge for GNU products.  You're only
	   allowed to charge a "reasonable" distribution fee, to compensate
	   you for your costs in getting it to the user.

You can charge any amount of $$$ for a GNU product that you want to.
However, if you charge too much, you will make at most one sale, because
the first person to whom you sell can resell to anyone else for whatever
price they want to.

--
Joe Wells <jbw@uswest.com>
Copyright 1990 Joe Wells.  All rights reserved.  Permission is granted to