[gnu.misc.discuss] Ghostscript help

kath@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (William L. Kath) (09/16/90)

In article <940@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM> tom@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM
     (Tom Albrecht) writes:
>I just pulled in Ghostscript 2.0.  Is there a user manual available that
>describes the language and features?  Specifically, how do I send output
>to an Epson-type printer?

I have been looking at the MSDOS version for a couple of days; the pre-
compiled version comes with an ega and epson device already included.
In one of the documenation files, extend.doc, it tells how to access them.
In the MSDOS case, the ega is device 0 and the epson driver is device 1.
One merely gives the interpreter the (extended postscript) code
                           1 getdevice setdevice
and Ghostscript then sends all output to the second (epson) device.

For the UNIX version I don't know what the default setup is, but my guess
is that you have to check to see that the epson driver is mentioned in one
of the make files, so that it gets included when the whole thing is
compiled.  Then just access it using the above sequence with the 1 replaced
by the appropriate driver number.

By the way, with my setup I can't get a whole page of output.  It does start
to print and after printing about 10% the printer just stops.  My guess is
that there's not enough memory for a full image at epson resolution, but since
I don't know C I'm not sure.  After looking at the source for a while, it
seems there is some kind of virtual memory handler, but it doesn't seem to
be working in the version I got.  (I've tried it on machines that all have
640K base memory, and either lots of expanded or lots of extended memory,
all with no differences.)

Does anyone know if I should reset something in the configuration and
recompile, or is there another extended postscript sequence that enables
virtual memory?  This is a really *great* program, and it is certainly
extremely useful as it is.  The epson (or laserjet) driver would really
be icing on the cake, though.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Kath ----------------------- kath@delta.eecs.nwu.edu
             Engineering Sciences and Applied Mathematics
   A Guest of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
McCormick School of Engineering,  Northwestern University