[gnu.misc.discuss] Epoch 3.2 and Emacs 19.0

hans@acsu.buffalo.edu (Hans Chalupsky) (11/30/90)

In article <502@zok.UUCP> mark@zok.UUCP (Mark W. Snitily) writes:
>I've just installed epoch 3.2 and am very pleased with the results.  (For
>those of you who haven't heard of epoch, it's GNU emacs 18.55 with a *good*
>X11 interface.)

Same here (very pleased, that is).

>I seem to recall a discussion on the net about a GNU emacs 19.0.  That was
>some time ago.  It was suppose to be emacs 18.x but with a good X11 interface.
>Having played with epoch now, it seems to have achieved exactly the same goal.
>Also, seeing Richard Stallman's name in epoch's "ChangeLog" file makes me
>wonder.
>
>Is epoch 3.2 really a beta (or alpha) of the long awaited emacs 19.0?
>Or, is epoch a totally separate entity that should be added to the
>"yet another" editor list?
>
>-- Mark

I wonder about that too. Especially, will it be worth putting a lot of effort
into Epoch right now that will have to be put again into Emacs19 when it comes
out (e.g., writing e-lisp code to make proper use of all the new features
Epoch provides)?

Can some `authority' shed  light on the policies behind the development,
possible coexistence or merging of Epoch-3.2 and Emacs19?

Hans

hans@cs.buffalo.edu
Hans Chalupsky, Dept. of CS, 226 Bell Hall, SUNY@Buffalo, NY 14260.