[gnu.misc.discuss] SGI GL compatible Graphics Libraries

nicholas@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Nicholas Yue) (03/23/91)

Hi,
  I have a question regarding graphics libraries and copyright that seems very
complicated for me to understand.
  I was hoping to write a graphics libraries that has the same functionality as
GL from Silicon Graphics and or some other standard. The libraries will have
the same or similar subroutine names and argument types as GL or maybe PHIGS+
etc........
  But I am afraid of any legal consequences arising from such a venture. I do
not plan on making it commercial, just a library of graphics routines to make
life simple and common across other O/S and architecture.
  Does SGI have any comments? What about GNU, because I plan to give the
graphics library to GNU ( if I can get it done without being threaten with a
law suit, I am just a student with a lot of enthusiasm in computer graphics)?
  I have cross posted this to comp.graphics,comp.sys.sgi and gnu.misc.discuss.

Thanks In Advance

nicholas@cs.uwa.oz.au

mg@ (Mike Gigante) (03/23/91)

There is already a GL compatible library (GNU-DIGS) written here by

	Andrew Cassin
	Chris Drewnicki
	Bernard Kirby
	David Hook
	Me

It has a few extensions like HERSHEY vector fonts and device independent
screen coordinates. It is missing Zbuffer, lighting and NURBS etc.
It supports a number of different platforms from PCs etc through to
workstations.

Bernie and David split off and the code diverged away from GL
compatibility - there library is called VOGLE. It is available from
munnari.oz.au

There is a new version of GNU-DIGS ready for a test release now.

I had offered GNU-DIGS to the GNU project, but lost contact over time.
One potential problem with a GL compatible library for GNU is the
increasing standardization towards PHIGS and X's committment to PEX

Should anyone (incl. Nicolas) wish to work on GNU-DIGS and re-connect
the project to GNU, then we'd appreciate the input. The outstanding
issues at the moment are

1) better X interfaces
2) more diverse PC support
3) TeXinfo documentation (this is mandatory but not yet even started)
4) an alternate 2D pipeline that doesn't penalize 2D applications.

Mike Gigante
mg@godzilla.cgl.rmit.oz.au

wes@harem.clydeunix.com (Wes Peters) (04/06/91)

In article <mg.669711839@godzilla>, mg@ (Mike Gigante) writes:
[about GNU-DIGS, a library similar to the SiliG Graphics Library]
> Should anyone (incl. Nicolas) wish to work on GNU-DIGS and re-connect
> the project to GNU, then we'd appreciate the input. The outstanding
> issues at the moment are
>
> 1) better X interfaces
> 2) more diverse PC support
> 3) TeXinfo documentation (this is mandatory but not yet even started)
> 4) an alternate 2D pipeline that doesn't penalize 2D applications.

I'd add:

  5) Zbuffering.

Zbuffering in software would be slow, but developing 3D apps without it
would be (hmmm... can we use those words on the net?  Probably not.)
distressing.  Or am I just lazy?

	Wes Peters
--
#include <std/disclaimer.h>           |     The worst day sailing
My opinions, your screen.             |     is much better than

svec5@menudo.uh.edu (T.C. Zhao) (04/06/91)

While we are talking about SGI, could someone tell me if there
is a DVI viewer for the SGI written in GL ? I know of xdvi but I
do not have the X developmen package. Or if anyone can mailed
me a uuencoded executable xdvi, I will appreciate very much.(by
the way, the machine is an SGI-4D/210GTX runing IRIS 3.2.1).

Thanks in advance.  (svec5@menudo.uh.edu)

dboles@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David Boles) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr6.061634.7782@menudo.uh.edu> svec5@menudo.uh.edu (T.C. Zhao) writes:
>While we are talking about SGI, could someone tell me if there
>is a DVI viewer for the SGI written in GL ? I know of xdvi but I
>do not have the X developmen package. Or if anyone can mailed
>me a uuencoded executable xdvi, I will appreciate very much.(by
>the way, the machine is an SGI-4D/210GTX runing IRIS 3.2.1).
>
>Thanks in advance.  (svec5@menudo.uh.edu)

Me too !  I'm running a 4D/310VGX w/ 3.3.1.

Thanks.

David Boles                                       Applied Research Laboratories
dboles@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu                        DOS is severely brain-damaged,
apas611@chpc.utexas.edu                   so just pull the plug and let it DIE.

dfr@usna.NAVY.MIL (Prof. David F. Rogers) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr6.061634.7782@menudo.uh.edu> svec5@menudo.uh.edu (T.C. Zhao) writes:
!While we are talking about SGI, could someone tell me if there
!is a DVI viewer for the SGI written in GL ? I know of xdvi but I
!do not have the X developmen package. Or if anyone can mailed
!me a uuencoded executable xdvi, I will appreciate very much.(by
!the way, the machine is an SGI-4D/210GTX runing IRIS 3.2.1).

Yes, there is a .dvi driver available written in GL. It is called
texsgi. It is available by anonymous ftp from vgr.brl.mil although
the specific machine may change. I'll look it up tomarrow in the office.

Dave Rogers